1996 Passat TDI sedan. 156k

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
Funny, I just read your CL posting with, "Selling because I have too many cars and my wife dislikes this car the most..." We have some odd East coast-West coast similarities

You'll see similar theme in my B4 FS post... Damn door handles and interiors :rolleyes:

If you have West coasters wringing hands about getting yours across the country, send 'em my way to get nearly the same sedan in WA.

-Kyle (as well)

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
Funny, I just read your CL posting with, "Selling because I have too many cars and my wife dislikes this car the most..." We have some odd East coast-West coast similarities
You'll see similar theme in my B4 FS post... Damn door handles and interiors :rolleyes:
If you have West coasters wringing hands about getting yours across the country, send 'em my way to get nearly the same sedan in WA.
-Kyle (as well)

haha will do. The wives will just never understand....

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
Very nice car and reasonably priced but a couple of things that I'd change on your add.

These Passat's were not the first TDI's brought to North America and also not the first ones to come equipped with Air Bags.

Your Air Bag problem might just be clock spring which is very usual but easy to replace.

Good luck with your sale :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
TDI stands for Turbodiesel Direct Injection. All previous VW diesels were IDI, or Indirect Injection. Big difference. Bringing direct injection technology to the light duty diesel market was a big breakthrough for the industry, pioneered by VW, and brought other technological advances including drive-by-wire, and, starting in '98, variable vane turbos. The 1Z engine in the B4 Passat platform was the first of these cars in North America, possibly in the world (that I'm not certain of). Their efficiency, technological advancement, and performance is impressive, even today.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
An Ecodiesel was IDI, precombustion chamber design.

TDI with the electronically controlled VE pump is a different beast

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
How about the Mk2 Jetta ECOdiesel? :)
How about it wasn't a TDI as others have said. Having owned one I can tell you the experience was... entirely different from the B4 which we can safely say made quite a few heads turn when introduced as the first TDI...

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it qualifies but we can just leave it here :)
And this is where you say "oops, my bad. I didn't understand the terminology." Recognizing one is wrong matters as it helps everyone learn, etc. If you were arguing whether it was the first diesel I wager you'd expect the other party to cop to their error. ;-)

Better yet you could go back to post #5, edit, and cite the person that politely corrected you with a question.

Last edited:

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
And this is where you say "oops, my bad. I didn't understand the terminology." Recognizing one is wrong matters as it helps everyone learn, etc. If you were arguing whether it was the first diesel I wager you'd expect the other party to cop to their error. ;-)

Better yet you could go back to post #5, edit, and cite the person that politely corrected you with a question.
I have never considered myself one of those to know it all but I do know a couple of things. My comment was just what it is, a comment and for sure not trying to start an argument. This is one thing that I'm very good at, not creating arguments and knowing how to step away when I need to so things do get worse. I'm not the emotional kind.

I understand the difference between the cars and have owned both. Yes, very different cars and technology but I was approaching it from the point of view that the ECOdiesel came out with a turbo.

Anyway, stepping away now. Peace out :)

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
as the TDI debate has been settled, my airbag assumption is based on me searching to swap my passenger airbag out at one point and searching 1990-1995 passat globeboxes that directly fit. never could find one though

tdipwr

TDI
1996 tdi passat wagon,1991 jetta 2 door diesel
Passat

Is this still available