New B4 Passat Wagon TDI

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
Stock turbo with uprgrade internals

Stock turbo. I'd like to think I gained at least what you're expecting with your mods.

If you're staying with the stock turbo or going with some type of mild hybrid, stock internals should be fine.

-Todd
Yeah my upgrades are turbo internals giving about 25 hp.....at max....I can bump boost up as well. I am running the Bosio PP520's as well...should balance out. Something to do with clipping the stock turbo blades back a little gives you more power throughout you rpm range. And if I upgrade the Billet and clip other side I can gain the 25 ish. Thats the plan.....I am just trying to improve efficiency of turbo and gain a little power.....seems legit....never heard of this before...but Evergreen Turbo Company is highly recommend around here.

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
Turbo Outcome

The Turbo Rebuild guy has taken apart the turbo. He said it was severally carboned. So much that he said once the carbon heated up the carbon would expand and rub the turbine causing it to slow down. He was surprised it was still turning. Should cost about $350 to rebuild. He is going to clip the turbine edges mildly causing more flow for mid to top end rpm power. Without loosing my low end power. Also going to increase my Boost about 2 pounds. 5 to 10 hp for just the clipping and then I up the boost as well

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Does the turbo guy know this is for an engine controlled by a computer? Changes to the wastegate won't do what you're expecting as the ECU is in charge of regulating boost pressure. Stiffening up the wastegate spring / setting won't change what the ECU does, but it might cause the ECU to go in to limp mode.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Waste gate is adjustable?

From my understanding the Wastegate is adjustable. I will let him know what you mentioned though

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The wastegate is adjustable, yes. However the computer "hides" boost pressure from the wastegate until it hits whatever threshold your tune requests. The ECU might request something like 15 PSI and then not send any boost to the wastegate until it hits that level preventing it from opening.

Setting it up to open at a higher level will just confuse the ECU. If it is say requesting 9 PSI and the wastegate doesn't open till 15 it'll see that as a problem and go in to limp mode.

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Final Resolve

I had the turbo rebuilt to stock boost and a minor clipping which will provide a little more air flow at higher RPM for power in the mid to high range....other than that its stock. With what the rebuild guy said I had so much carbon around the shaft that when it got warm it would expand and cause fiction slowing down the turbo speed. Which Is most likely my power losss issue. Only thing that hasn't been diagnosed. Looks like a brand new turbo with good OEM internals and only $350

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
If you go things hot enough, such as a weekly or monthly redline pull in 3rd gear, you'd have burned off the carbon. If ignore was causing so much of an issue, the car is literally being babied too much so soot is depositing instead of burning.

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup

I am sure he babied it.......he was very careful driver. I drive it hard so I don't have the carbon build up :). A good Italian Tune Up.....lol

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
More questions

I am putting Bilstien HD Struts up front. I am wondering what a larger tire size is that won't rub? I am upgrading Rims to 15 or 16 inch.

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock size Rim? any offset?

I am concerned that when I purchase new rims....if they are offset like deep well look will they rub....Does anyone know what the stock dimensions are on the steel rims that require the hub caps?

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
My rims are 14" btw

205/50R15 was a stock size.

my rims are 14" btw......and I don't like the stock look at all

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I'd guess stock wheels were 6" wide and around et38. Unless you're planning on going a crazy width or offset they're not going to sit flush.

I'm running Corrado steelies with a 20mm(?) spacer on the rear. Still not flush.

I trial fit a set of 16x9 on the rears and they filled the well. I think the offset was around et25.

-Todd

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
my rims are 14" btw......and I don't like the stock look at all
Sorry, 205/50R15 is a stock size on VR6 powered cars. 4 cylinder cars have 195/65R14 (if I remember correctly). Point is you can fit a 205 section width, as VW themselves did.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Stock 14" tires are 195/60-14s. Not many options for that size available any longer. It's a good idea to go to 15s and a little larger diameter to reduce or eliminate the speedometer error (it reads high). I run 185/60-15s, but 195/60-15s are also popular.

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
great

Thanks for all that input......another question is what size is the hub so I know how large of rim to get to fit the bore? And if I go wider will it rub when I turn

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Sway Bar Upgrade

Is there an upgrade for the Sway bar out there? One that won't mess with an other stock settings

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the car up and running. Seems I still am on the slow side for power.....better than it was. I am wondering if the Turbo Pressure Converter Valve 7.21903.70.0 would cause it to be sluggish in its power? I am able to get 12 to 14 pounds for turbo boost but the car is on the sluggish side. I am going to unhook exhaust and take it for a spin soon....prior owner did that with no change. But the turbo was bound by carbon so who knows