New B4 Passat Wagon TDI

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
No issues with leaks or slipping, and I've drained some liquid brass (from disintegrating parts when the wrong fluid was used) from a few of them. New fluid significantly helped.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I stick with a GL4, the oil makers specifically say that GL5 should not be used in gearbox with brass syncros.

There are still some GL4 products out there but they're not as easy to find. I'm using Ravenol synth GL4 right now, very happy with it!

Steve

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
The Start of my rebuild

I am now starting on removing the complete engine bay. I am going to replace almost everything......hoses,radiator, condenser, seals, pumps, gaskets, o-rings, the works. I was wondering if there was any upgrades that don't do harm to this car or engine.....that y'all can suggest. I am wanting a mild upgrade on injectors......I already have the Bosio 502's on my AHU, just wondering if they will work on the 1Z. I have many plans but I'm ok if they change a bit. I am also keeping the same Storm Grey once I repaint and ReUpholster the interior

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
Need to locate some parts

I need a good place to find the stock turbo intercooler or an aftermarket that works. Need to know if they make and were to purchase the Brake booster....Im gonna replace while I'm in the engine. Anyone deal with possible catalytic clogging over time?

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
I am about to remove my engine and I am having an issue with unhooking the main cluster of wiring cable just to the right of the engine. It seems it is suppose to twist but I cannot get it to move and I do not want to break anything. Is there a video or diagram on how this works? Also how do I post pictures to my posts. I am unfamiliar with this!!!!

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
yeah, you have to twist it but after years and years it can be pretty stuck. I soaked mine with WD-40 for 2 days before it came undone

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
No issues with leaks or slipping, and I've drained some liquid brass (from disintegrating parts when the wrong fluid was used) from a few of them. New fluid significantly helped.
So, are the saying the plain-jane 80w-90 gear oil from O'Reilly's I put in there isn't a great idea? :confused:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
So, are the saying the plain-jane 80w-90 gear oil from O'Reilly's I put in there isn't a great idea? :confused:
If It's GL5 then it's not a good idea. GL4 is the spec for manual transaxle. The GL5 has stuff in it that is not good for yellow metal parts.

Steve

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Although for some reason the Lubromoly GL5 doesn't eat the yellow parts up.

Some people use (Lubromoly 75-90)it just fine in their 02A/02J, I have but moved on to the Syncromesh because it was trending as hot like fire brand new best thing ever.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

Some people use (Lubromoly 75-90)it just fine in their 02A/02J, I have but moved on to the Syncromesh because it was trending as hot like fire brand new best thing ever.
Does the manufacturer say it's ok? Other GL5 manufacturers say do not use in MT's. I don't see how it can be ok when it's GL5 spec?

GL4 is the only safe bet I know of other than approved VW fluids. I use the GL4 Ravenol Synth that blauparts was selling, last I knew anyway.

CTN transaxle is too important to have ruined by incorrect fluid, at some point these are going to be hard to find given the numbers of CTN cars that are probably left here now. These are 18 yo at a minimum, probably over 20 yo on average.

Steve

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the company has been operating as Liqui Moly for several years.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Does the manufacturer say it's ok? Other GL5 manufacturers say do not use in MT's. I don't see how it can be ok when it's GL5 spec?

GL4 is the only safe bet I know of other than approved VW fluids. I use the GL4 Ravenol Synth that blauparts was selling, last I knew anyway.

CTN transaxle is too important to have ruined by incorrect fluid, at some point these are going to be hard to find given the numbers of CTN cars that are probably left here now. These are 18 yo at a minimum, probably over 20 yo on average.

Steve

I won't get into the debate over this specific 75w-90, but like I said, I've used it just fine. Lots of people using Pennzoil Syncromesh on tdiclub too.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=365844

The difference between G50/60/70 is the viscosity - the formulas I've been told are otherwise identical.

Lubromoly 75W90 (LM2048) is GL5, however if you look at the MIL spec, it's the same as the VW recommend spec. I have a letter from the head of application engineering
LIQUI MOLY GmbH that confirms that it doesn't harm VW synchros - as long as it's a post 1996 transmission. If you are still uncomfortable with that then stick with OEM fluids :).

For years we've only recommended OEM VW fluids or the LM2048. MTL or MT90 is much better suited for the BMW crowd.

YMMV.
-BB

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Orb Of Death.....fixed

Google: VW Orb of Death -You Tube by Mark Courtenay
I soaked it down with WD40 and it came of rather easily.....thanks for the info

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Engine Removed...how to post pics

I need help posting pics on here....I have removed the engine and would like to be able post pics so I can show stuff if I have questions.....thanks

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I won't get into the debate over this specific 75w-90, but like I said, I've used it just fine. Lots of people using Pennzoil Syncromesh on tdiclub too.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=365844
No, I'm not wading into this either, it's been debated ad nauseum for years but I just wanted to make sure that it hadn't been forgotten. The collective memory is often not what it should be regarding this stuff.

Yes, there are people using Syncromesh on tdiclub, right or wrong. I have no opinion on that except to say that it too is not the correct fluid, but apparently for some it's a reasonable substitute. It is however accessible and cheap.

Steve

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
If have a bad Wastegate actuator on my Turbo.......and it doesn't open, creating more boost. Would my ECU catch that a tune down my car power....maybe at higher speeds. need to know if anyone has experienced this

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
If have a bad Wastegate actuator on my Turbo.......and it doesn't open, creating more boost. Would my ECU catch that a tune down my car power....maybe at higher speeds. need to know if anyone has experienced this
Yep - that's what folks refer to as "Limp Mode" - if the ECU detects a situation where it believes it is not in control of the turbo it'll drop fueling down to a "safe" level where nothing gets hurt.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
hmmmm

I am familiar with Limp Mode....had a bad vacuum hose on my ECU in my AHU Jetta TDI.....so hopefully that is what was going on with this.......gonna diagnose further.....thanks for the input

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Turbo help

I am wondering if there is a good quality small upgrade turbo for this 1Z engine. I have a guy locally that rebuilds turbos...and will rebuild mine for $300 or $550 depending on what it needs. My turbine shaft seems to not wiggle. What do y'all recommend....I really do not want to upgrade my turbo and have to change stock stuff....i prefer plug and play turbo. Input would be great.....wanting to purchase in the next two or three weeks
Kermatdi
http://www.kermatdi.com/stock-turbo-1996-1998-vw-tdi-a3-b4/

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There isn't really a good plug and play upgrade. There are K03/04 hybrids, but they haven't proven to make significantly more power than the stock turbo. Best upgrade is either a Garrett 2052 or a VNT-15. Neither are plug-and-play, however.

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks

Ok, thats what I figured from the research I have done. Well I am going to probably go with a rebuild. The guy locally may sell me the parts and I might do it myself, just because. However that is up in the air.

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
I have removed the Turbo.....the waste gate actuator seems to be working fine. I have been told it works with vacuum and pressure. I have tested both at about 20 psi pressure it opens, and with 26 vacuum it holds the vacuum with very little leak down. Just curious if anyone know if the waste gate actuator can function on vacuum and pressure or just pressure?

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
gotcha

Just pressure on a B4. 20psi is high it should open sooner.
Well, its starts opening a lower psi, though I didn't have a super accurate gauge. But open fully at 20......thanks for the info

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
NEED Opinions On Turbo situation Power Options

I am having a local Guy rebuild my Turbo. Ever Green Turbo. I have the option to upgrade the turbines......or what ever you call them. The intake side he will angle the blades just a bit, giving better air flow. This will also give better Mid to High turbo power while keeping the low end with a 5 to 10 HP gain. If I replace the other side with a better Billet I can gain a total of maybe 25 HP. Also needing to upgrade injectors....I am planning on Running Bosio 520PP or maybe slightly higher. Anyone know if the engine is safe to run with that much more power or any ideas and experiences would be happy

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I'm running a Kerma tune and PP520s and nothing's blown up, yet.

-Todd

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
What power enhancements

Stock turbo....what power increase?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Stock turbo. I'd like to think I gained at least what you're expecting with your mods.

If you're staying with the stock turbo or going with some type of mild hybrid, stock internals should be fine.

-Todd