Interior lights on 2011 Sportswagen not turning off

jettabuddha

TDI
2002 Wagon, 2011 Sportswagen
I just bought a used 2011 TDI Sportswagen and I've noticed an intermittent issue with the cabin lighting.
When I exit the car, the front cabin lights, foot lights and dashboard information LED screen stays on.
When I click the remote door lock, the doors all lock, but the interior lights remain on (not dim gradually and turn off as they usually would).
I also do not hear the audible toot of the horn as the alarm and door locks activate.

What I've done to alleviate the issue is unlock the car with the remote, walk around the car and firmly close all five doors. This has solved the problem, from my experience.

Just to confirm this other bit of trouble shooting:

The dashboard information screen which would indicate if a door is "ajar" is not saying any of the five doors are open when I exit the car and attempt to lock it and the cabin lights stayed on. (correction noted below: the tailgate is showing as open, even when closed)

Each door when opened indicates on the dash info screen that the door is open when opened and closed when closed.

My 2002 Jetta TDI Wagon had the classic driver's door latch sensor issue which was solved with the replacement of the latch.

I'm wondering if these later VW's have the same kind of issue? Thoughts?

Last edited:

jettabuddha

TDI
2002 Wagon, 2011 Sportswagen
Update: I've narrowed it down to the tailgate. It seems to require a very firm "slam." A slam that goes beyond locking the door. And, I've come to realize that I wasn't aware that a "whited-out" tailgate on the little door status dashboard LED screen meant that the tailgate is open, or at least not registering as closed.
My bad.
But something might be up with tailgate latch open-closed sensor...

Last edited:

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
Easy Answer is a Door Ajar

In addition to the lights, the MFD should show which door was open.

This happened to me on the way home today. A strap from my backpack got pushed into the lock as I shut the trunk (with a thud). As I pulled away, I noticed the interior lights on and the MFD lit up showing the hatch.

Pulled over, investigated, removed strap, resecured the door, then got back in and drove away.