2010 Jetta TDI Radio stopped working suddenly

Hydesmith

TDI
2011 Sportwagen (Highline)
after more research…

2011 TDI Sportwagen - Radio and horn not working.

Radio suddenly cut out while we were driving. Similar symptoms …
Horn: the trouble turned out to be related to a lose wire in the steering wheel, although in the process, we removed a previously installed wiring harness for an unused remote car starter, in the process of ruling out wiring issues.

With regard to the radio, it was not related to the wiring, unfortunately. It simply died coincidentally in a similar time period.

I have done a bit more sleuthing regarding the RCD-510 radio (here and elsewhere) and came up with the following that may help someone, so thought I would share here.

• These radios are known to be unreliable. Many replacements were made. One service person suspected heat over time may be the cause of failure.

• You probably have to replace the unit with exactly the same part in order to retain functions with your car's system. In my case, it is a RCD-510, but also important is the "1K0 035 180 AC" part number.

• There is a 'direct exchange' available through your VW dealer, facilitated by the manufacturer, Delphi. While it saves you money off full retail price, it is still expensive. Including the core refund (returning your dead unit) I was quoted C$585, if I install it myself.

• Getting any loaded discs out of a dead radio is probably not fun. The 'Direct Exchange' program offers a return of the media, but it may take several weeks to get your discs back.

• If you choose a used unit, they will probably run anywhere from $100-$300.

• If used, you will need the activation code or the cooperation of a dealer, along with the original donor VIN, in order to get the activation code for the radio.

• The install appears to be uncomplicated, plug and play. There is one fuse on the back of the unit.

• Aftermarket radios are an option, but surprisingly, if you want to retain all the steering wheel controls, etc., there are more install parts involved, and it is quite likely to run up to the cost of the 'direct exchange' price. You may get a better sounding stereo, and maybe more reliable, but some of the 'factory' features with original instrument panel interface, bluetooth, mic, etc., may be lost in the process. Many of these features are integrated into aftermarket units, but some have an unfamiliar interface, and there could be confusion with existing systems in the car expecting the factory radio's presence.

I have not made a final decision, but I am inclined to pay the $250 I was quoted for a used unit, and plug-and-play. I will do a bit more of a search for local aftermarket options, and review how many factory features are lost in the process. I suspect nothing will come in under that price.

Last edited:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I sat down one day and disassembled mine to get the CD's out of my unit. ended up having to go get another set of star tips because the set I had did not go small enough for the little ones inside the unit. took about an hour or more. Could not re-assemble it if I needed it for core charge because of all the springs and such that had to be unhooked to get the CD's out.

I replaced my unit, part number ending in "AC", with a newer used one, part number ending in "AE". direct plug and play.

Hydesmith

TDI
I have done a bit more sleuthing regarding the RCD-510 radio (here and elsewhere) and came up with the following that may help someone, so thought I would share here.

(snip)

…but I am inclined to pay the $250 I was quoted for a used unit, and plug-and-play.
The replacement unit one (presumably identical) I ordered from the wrecker arrived today, but I've just learned of another wrinkle…

Apparently VW Canada will no longer give you the radio activation code for the radio over the phone, even when you have the donor VIN. I've been told that I now have to take the car in and connect it to their scan tool, which I expect they will charge a lot to do. This change apparently happened just last week!
What else can go wrong? Plenty, I'm starting to think.

(Aside: As vehicles get more complicated, methinks the car manufacturers will make the next generation totally disinterested in actually owning a car. They may instead just rent them, or use co-ops, and leave the maintenance, depreciation, etc. to the company... only then will they make reliability and ease of repair the #1 consideration.)

Last edited:

Hydesmith

TDI
The replacement unit one (snip)
Story completed today. The used stereo was not the same, it actually came from a 2015 Jetta, but I put it in anyway. Very similar. The radio code was retrieved at VW ($80) and it is all working. Next trick will be to retrieve the CDs stuck in my old unit.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The radio code was retrieved at VW ($80)
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

They charged you $80 to type a few buttons into the system??? That's absolutely freaking ridiculous!!!!

I wish I had known, I could have gotten you the code for free.

There is NO reason they should charge that much for a radio code.

NashWagen

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I have the same problem in my 2011 Jetta Sportwagon. Checked all of the fuses and they were fine. There was a suggestion of pulling out the radio fuse for 30 seconds or so but I have no idea which fuse that is. The manual that comes with the car is useless! Thanks for any help.
Just started having the same issue with my 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen. Radio just went dead/black. Pulled Radio and replaced the 15A fuse in the back of the unit. No change.

Since the manuals don't have a fuse box diagram and the dealer won't reveal any other radio fuse location without a service appointment ($$$), not sure which fuse (if any may be involved).

Did you ever have any luck with your 2011 Radio Fuse issues??

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
The factory radios on these older models are utter garbage even when they are working. I wouldn't spend a single dime on a replacement VW unit but would (and did) just buy a CarPlay/Android Auto unit. Mine is the Pioneer MVH-1400NEX. Add the appropriate Metra adapters and you get to retain your steering wheel controls. Doesn't work with the factory bluetooth mic, unfortunately, but you can mount the mic that comes with the head unit atop the steering wheel column or on the windshield. The audio quality is much better than the factory radio, even with the stock speakers. And you gain all the benefits of CarPlay/Android Auto.

jshwhite

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon 6sp manual
Add another 2010 Sportwagen to the list of dead radios....:mad:

Question: Has anyone had success with getting salvage head units? (Out of wrecked cars.) There are plenty from salvage yards for $80-100 a piece. Say I got one from a newer year like a 2012-14, what do I need to look for in compatibility? Mine is 6-CD, large screen, non-nav, media. As long as I get one with the same features will it be plug and play?

Also, I'd like to upgrade my bluetooth unit so I can use the steering wheel controls. Thinking of getting a 9W7

What do I need to know? Can I just pull a radio from a 2014 that looks the same, plug it in, and pop a GW7 in, and good to go? Sorry if it's a dumb question...I've turned lots of wrenches but hate electrical issues :(

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Just get a newer version of that radio, ie part number ending in d or e.
Personally, i upgraded the radio in my beetle from the rcd310 (base single disc narrow screen radio) to the rns315 wider screen with nav, i need to have a couple programming tweaks done to remove the backup camera, beetle does not want to open the hatch intermittently since the radio was installed. No door lick faults stored just backup camera...

pgomes19

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Has anyone had any luck upgrading their dead units? Do i need anything extra? I have found 2 units in my area. One with nav and and one without, and for about a $15 difference. I am guessing I would need the navigation antenna as well. Is the antenna easy to remove? Will it be plug and play?

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Custom - Funky Green. 99 NB TDI, 06 Jetta TDI
I went aftermarket on mine. Kenwood touch screen unit. To make the steering wheel controls work, I had to install a separate piece of hardware and it was all a huge PITA. However, it's worked fine for like 2 years now and I'm happy I did it.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I didn’t realize something was wrong with my stereo until after driving it off the lot, couldn’t get anything to tune in, AM or FM and the CD wouldn’t accept a disk. Swapped it out with s cheapie at Best Buy with free installation, paid $109 for the harness so I could retain steering controls but the tech couldn’t get it to synch up so I put a claim on my credit card, the $100 should be coming back to me and if it doesn’t I’ll get it somewhere else

chtef

TDI
Jetta Sportswagen
Replacement radio not working either

Now I am confused and could use some help.
I have a 2010 sportwagen and like most of you, my radio died a few weeks ago.
I checked all fuses (I think I did) and tried the long reset, but no luck.
I removed the radio and with a multi-meter, tried to at least find if there is voltage present at the connector. Indeed, I found 12v between a couple of terminals. I assumed, possible too fast, that the problem was the radio so I ordered a replacement unit from a reputable ebay seller, very same id string (1K0 035 180 AC). I installed the replacement radio and it doesn't come up either. So two possibilities, either the replacement radio is also broken, or there is something wrong somewhere else in the car that I wasn't able to find initially.

I should also mention that after my radio died, my battery died as well and I replaced it with a new one. Recently, I didn't use the car for a few days and guess what, I had to boost the new battery for the car to start. So there seem to be a current leak somewhere.

What would be your next step? Thanks a lot in advance for any tip you may have for me.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
The units that have a part number ending in 'AC' have a high failure rate. I upgraded to a used unit part number ending in 'AE' when mine went out several years ago. I would still suspect the radio. Not saying the seller sold you a known bad unit, but a unit out of a wrecked car might have been bad from the yard. There are also a lot of complaints about new cheap Chinese copy-cat units that don't work right or not for long. I don't know how I would verify that without another radio or car to try stuff in but that is the direction I would go.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Check fuses. The are both typically switched and unswitched power input to the radio, and so what power you saw may not be everything.

chtef

TDI
Jetta Sportswagen
AD vs AC

Turns out that the problem was the radio itself. I went to the dealer and they tried the radio I received (didn't work) and then they tried a radio they had in their garage and it worked.
Thankfully, I was able to return the defective unit and should get a full refund.
Now I am considering ordering a 1K0035180AD instead of AC. A bit nervous that this could cause problems but most forum posts seem to say that the AD should be able to work in a car with an AC.
Thanks for your replies, I will keep the forum posted.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The AD is a replacement for the AC, but it suffers from the same problem.

Your best bet is to go with part number 1K0-035-180-AF (or later) or even a 1K0-035-188-T

robschwieb

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL - 6MT
FIXED!!! (for now...)

Over the last 2 weeks the radio in my wife's 2011 SportWagen started acting up. Sometimes it would turn on with the car, others it would turn on after she had been out running errands. Eventually it stopped working all together.

Temps have just started to drop in our region and that made me think it had something to do with it. I figured it was likely a bad solder joint made worse by cooling temps and that would also explain why it would occasionally start working after the vehicle had warmed up.

Going off this hunch, I pulled the head unit and disassembled it. I stripped it down until it was just the metal case/frame, lower board that contains the heatsink which is "riveted" to the metal frame, and the small board that sits on top of the main lower board. I removed the fuse, white plastic connector around the dual barrel "coax looking" jacks on the back, and popped out the green plastic jack which has a small black cable that easily disconnects from the main board.

With these parts off, I heated my kitchen oven up to 385. The bottom of the radio case doesn't allow the radio to sit flat so I propped the back up with a ball of tinfoil and put it on a baking sheet. Probably not necessary but I wanted to keep stuff as flat as possible during this process.
After 9 minutes in the oven at 385, I turned off the oven and opened the door. I let it cool down for about 30 minutes and then pulled it out and reassembled everything.

To my surprise the radio is back to it's original functioning state! Not sure how long this will last (it's likely the next summer to winter temp change will cause issues again) but it's been going strong for about a week now and it cost me nothing other than a bit of my time.

I just wanted to share this here in case anyone else finds this thread like I did while searching Google. Not saying this will work for every failed unit but it's worth a shot in my book!

CAUTION, if you attempt this in your residential kitchen oven make sure you have proper exhaust ventilation! I didn't smell anything when I did mine but I've read numerous things about this process giving off bad fumes. Not sure how valid those claims are but it's always better to err on the side of caution with this stuff!