2001 Golf - Newburgh NY

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
{SOLD!} 2001 Golf - Newburgh NY

SOLD
Posting this for an elderly gentleman / acquaintance (from sailboat racing).

I don't know much about the detailed car history, I believe he is the original owner, if not he has owned it since nearly new. I have assisted him once or twice over the years with advice/guidance/minor repair on simple TDI specific issues. It is 4 door, manual, silver.

Below is a cut/paste of most of the email he sent me, I have modified the email/phone #. Please mention you saw it on TDIClub, I am not sure if he will post it up on Craigslist but he may feel he has a more serious buyer if you mention the TDIClub post.

Please reply to him. If I get more info./pictures I will try to add them to this post.

"I totaled my car yesterday sliding off my driveway at 3 mph, making a mess of the right side sliding by two trees . My records show $9,500 of labor and new parts over the last 24 months. Once I get it back on the pavement, I expect it to be road-worthy. I should have it by our mailbox at.... for easy viewing by Thursday noon the 18th. All phoned-in bids by noon Tuesday the 23rd (UPDATE - Due to delay getting car retrieved/inspected - now Thursday Jan. 25th) will be considered. I will email copies of all the $9,500 service invoices to anyone sending me an email request. The engine has something less than 108,000 miles on it. Thanking you in advance for any help you can give me.

Last edited:

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Note updated deadline for final sale date above in red type.

Photos of damage to follow.

Not sure if I will be able to post PDF of recent service records.

He asks anyone coming to call him in advance as he will try to be available to show you the car/answer questions.

Last edited:

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
3 more large file size shots, shows the damage to passengers side -
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=6899

The .pdf re the last 24 mo. of service records I was sent was too large to upload to TDIClub, just contact the owner if you want to see it I guess.

Last edited:

tdi-eyed

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta Wagon
I would suggest, per forum rules, that either you post a price or move to ebay. This is not a site for bidding.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I would suggest, per forum rules, that either you post a price or move to ebay. This is not a site for bidding.
OK,
$10,000 :rolleyes:
OR
Best Offer received by noon Thursday 01/25/18.

Last edited:

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks much worse than the one I just got for $200. So I'll offer $100.
As in the OP please contact the owner directly with your offer, I put this here to help the guy out and so it (or its parts) might find some love.

Local junk yard scrap value is $200-300 which is where it will end up I guess if your offers are actually indicative of it's value/offers he receives.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Why is there a rope around the roof? Is there damage to the passenger door that prevents it from latching?

Sadly, money spent on repairs is not an indicator of a vehicle's value. This car pre-accident may have been worth $3K if everything worked and it was cosmetically good (clean and undamaged interior and headliner, little rust). If not, value drops proportionally. A co-worker recently bought a similar car that needed some minor work and cleaning for $1,600. Fewer miles, too. Before the accident this one at least needed headlights as the fogging is pretty bad on the remaining one.

At this point the owner's best bet is probably to sell it for parts. Someone who can do bodywork may want it for $500 - $1K, but otherwise it's worth more as parts than anything else. Long block, IP, and transmission are worth much more than the intact car. But that's a lot of work.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Why is there a rope around the roof? Is there damage to the passenger door that prevents it from latching?
Good questions.
Sadly, money spent on repairs is not an indicator of a vehicle's value......
Agree, absolutely sensible.
.....At this point the owner's best bet is probably to sell it for parts
I am 99.9% that the owner will not be parting it out (I haven't asked).

....it's worth more as parts than anything else. Long block, IP, and transmission are worth much more than the intact car. But that's a lot of work.
Maybe, I don't disagree, I have not looked the car over and I am not a body/frame (or anything other than shadetree) mechanic.
Since many here are always into TDI related projects I posted it here. Donor for the next project, parts, fix for car for "the kid"/spare, whatever, I just figured it might get a bit of love/appreciation and go on to be useful for a mechanically active TDI enthusiast member here. I really didn't want to start a $hitstorm over values or how people might want to profit.

Without inspecting it, can't really know, advantage to someone local who can inspect and see if the rest is below, at or above average for the age/miles.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Do you have any idea about the NY rust that might be underneath? I ask because I have almost everything to fix it with in my back yard.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have any idea about the NY rust that might be underneath? I ask because I have almost everything to fix it with in my back yard.
I don't, Sorry.
At a glance, this past summer, I did not notice anything (and I tend to check out MKIV Golf front rockers/fenders as a comparo to mine). BUT I have never been under the car, only the hood. If you haven't already contacted the owner do ask him, I doubt he has pictures of the underside but who knows, he may have something useful for you.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
that's a lot faster than 3 MPH.

looks like this will end up in the scrap yard. realistically this is 1500-2,000 depending on interior and options.

the guy has full coverage on the car?

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 5-Speed, 01 Jetta 5-Speed, 02 Jetta 5-Speed Conversion, 04 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat Wagon
that's a lot faster than 3 MPH.

looks like this will end up in the scrap yard. realistically this is 1500-2,000 depending on interior and options.

the guy has full coverage on the car?
What?! Looks like someone let off the brake and coasted into the tree. "Scrap-yard"? "Bent frame"? Am I missing something here?

Any more pictures?

-Jason

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
What?! Looks like someone let off the brake and coasted into the tree. "Scrap-yard"? "Bent frame"? Am I missing something here?

Any more pictures?

-Jason
the owner thinks it's worth like $8,000 because it has like 110k miles on it and seems he isn't listening to any reasonable offers and will rather scrap it for $400 than sell it to someone for 2k at most.

car probably can be derivable with just a few hours of work if one doesn't mind the damaged fender and door

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
That's a $1000 car... fender, bumper, 2 headlights, inner fender, hood (maybe), intercooler (maybe), IC piping (maybe) and it looks like passenger side door(s)... there's work involved and regardless of miles, it's not a high dollar car. If the OP sells it to a member here he will get more money than a scrap yard PLUS the car will likely be repaired and provide someone a good car for many miles to come...

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
That's a $1000 car... fender, bumper, 2 headlights, inner fender, hood (maybe), intercooler (maybe), IC piping (maybe) and it looks like passenger side door(s)... there's work involved and regardless of miles, it's not a high dollar car. If the OP sells it to a member here he will get more money than a scrap yard PLUS the car will likely be repaired and provide someone a good car for many miles to come...

oh ya i forgot the IC is on that side and may be broken as well.

if it's a leather interior and as clean as it looks i think 1500 is possible.

but ya if he would take 1k for it 99% chance i'd grab the car and fix it up. however if the title gets stamped salvagedi would pass, inspection is waaaaaaaaaaay too much of a pain the the ass

i mean here is an 05 with 78k on it for 8k from a dealer so this crashed 01 with 108k needs to be reevaluated, unless that $9,500 in work includes, 6spd with LSD, shifter, DG skids, gauges, turbo, tune, injectors, exhaust, IC, suspension.
https://hartford.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2005-volkswagen-golf8995-or/6467323769.html

Last edited:

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
the owner thinks it's worth like $8,000 because it has like 110k miles on it and seems he isn't listening to any reasonable offers and will rather scrap it for $400 than sell it to someone for 2k at most.
car probably can be derivable with just a few hours of work if one doesn't mind the damaged fender and door
It has just under 107k mi.

Have you corresponded with the owner or a potential buyer who did who told you "the owner thinks it's worth like $8,000"?
I have corresponded with him (I posted the car here for him) and that is not at all the impression I get.
He has stated that best offer by 01/25/18 noon gets it, I can only take him at his word.

Scrap value locally is more like $200.

if it's a leather interior......
....however if the title gets stamped salvagedi......
Daily driver, older male owner. It is a GL as far as I recall, unmodified car, so no leather but if you contacted him as a serious buyer with an offer you would know that already.
You asked further up the thread re him having full coverage "?", now speculate about salvage title. Contact HIM, if he hasn't gotten his ins. co. involved (since it was his driveway) then not getting stuck with a salvage title seems likely. If his ins. is involved I guess you would learn a lot re damage estimate (from a professional in the business) etc. if that happened.

Was leather even available as factory package/option of any trim level on an '01 Golf TDI? AFAIK, no.

Last edited:

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
... fender, bumper, 2 headlights, inner fender, hood (maybe), intercooler (maybe), IC piping (maybe) and it looks like passenger side door(s)......
I'm guessing by the tape and cardboard on the roof in one pic. that the pass. front door glass shattered but I did not ask him.
The drivers side headlight is intact but I'm guessing you mention replacing both due to fogging on it.

Last edited:

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 5-Speed, 01 Jetta 5-Speed, 02 Jetta 5-Speed Conversion, 04 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat Wagon
I only saw the picture posted in the ad. I missed the link with the pictures...my bad.
-Jason

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I only saw the picture posted in the ad. I missed the link with the pictures...my bad.
-Jason
No problem. I probably should have put up a few thumbnails to the hi res images.

Honestly wasn't expecting the link post to get lost in an avalanche of tire kicking & value speculation, silly me, even when I was an active poster here (and that's been a long while) it wasn't in cars for sale/wanted. ;)

Figured interested buyers would just contact the owner and this thread would drop down the list with only crickets.

Last edited:

tdi-eyed

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta Wagon
Well, from my perspective, having a clear price and good description helps keep who you want responding to your ad. Obviously a unique situation when someone else posts for actual seller.

And, yes, if you post an outrageous price and claims, you are going to get feedback ... that's the magic here and I'm in favor of it. I wouldn't characterize it all as tire-kicking and speculation .... plenty of other places to sell cars.

Last edited:

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, from my perspective, having a clear price and good description helps keep who you want responding to your ad. Obviously a unique situation when someone else posts for actual seller.
And, yes, if you post an outrageous price and claims, you are going to get feedback ... that's the magic here and I'm in favor of it. I wouldn't characterize it all as tire-kicking and speculation .... plenty of other places to sell cars.
That wasn't an outrageous price, it was a sarcastic price (because I was told a price is mandatory)! ;) I'm sorry that my sarcastic was FAIL.
I made the barest of claims if any and none were in any way outrageous.

In my mind I was really posting it as a heads up to local TDI'er's to go check out, since I couldn't post it in the NE section.......
Of course no one here is reading my mind, silly in hindsight I suppose. They just see a TDI that needs some (who knows how much) work and could go either way, parts or repair (and of course it's horsetrading, a lot looking to profit). Lots of questions I don't have most of the answers but then people just run off and speculate (one or two approaching outrageous) vs. just calling the guy. Speculation = not a magic or beautiful thing, typical maybe. Helpful?

Everyone has an opinion (or maybe personal interpretation) but uninformed ones smell worse.

I get it, you make a good point, the lack of details (pretty much out of my control) leaves a void easily filled by pundits & experts, real or self appointed.
The details lie with the owner and/or your own eyeballs on the car, NOT in this thread.

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
ok i was wrong about that guy i guess, the "winning email bidder" was some guy for $700 so ya..... that was a good deal, i was going to offer 1k but it was crank windows and my trailer guy isn't around.

oh well