New 2012 JSW TDI Owner question about blinker

jaehchoi85

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Hello everyone. I'm a new 2012 JSW TDI DSG owner. Just wanted to say hello and also ask a quick question.

Whenever I turn on the blinker, there isn't a sound coming from it. I've asked the dealership if it's suppose to be silent on the 2012 model or if it's a faulty part. The dealership has no clue and says they'll find out. Does anyone else with a 2012 JSW TDI have no sound when the blinker is on?

Everything else about the car is great except for the alignment went out of wack when I received the car. Car drifted to the right and the technicians tried to give me the run around so that they wouldn't have to fix it. Got the dealer and the fleet manager to sign off on the fix.

I actually converted from a 2010 Honda Insight. Was getting 42mpg on the Honda and I'm getting 40-42 on my TDI. I finally feel like I'm driving a car. The damn Honda felt like a can on wheels.

Anyway, hope you guys can answer my question.

Thanks!

jaehchoi85

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
The car has 1,500 miles on it. The alignment was fixed today and they also did the TDI injector line campaign for the recent recall. They replaced on the injector lines.

Is the 2012 JSW TDI suppose to make the sound when you turn on the blinker? Mine doesn't make a sound... its just dead silent. The dealer did tell me that the other dealership that had the car totally drained the battery so they had to replace it when they picked up the car for me. Maybe that caused a problem?

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
I have loud ones on my MY '11

Mine are loud enough that I no longer drive down the road blinking if I don't turn enough to click off on own.

Last edited:

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I can't hear the relay on mine - have to look at the visible light on the mirror or down at the dash to see if they are on.

jaehchoi85

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I guess I'll go back to the dealer and tell them to check the relay on my car. I can't hear anything with the engine on, windows up, no a/c and no radio. It's dead silent. It's really not a big deal but I'd rather get it fixed.

Palladin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI w DSG
I wouldn't get too worked up about this as the turn signals are working properly. The sound, or lack of, is not a defect but a characteristic of the individual flasher and varies by manufacturer and load rating. I'm mentioning this as the dealer may balk at replacing a perfectly good part. Besides, as was pointed out, when you're going down the road, A/C on, radio blasting, etc you can't hear them in most cars anyway. FWIW, I don't think mine "click" either, at least I've never heard them and haven't shut everything off to see.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Why do you think it is "broken" because you can't hear anything? In the old days, a huge relay was used for the blinkers (compared to the small ones today) and they made an audible clicking - it wasn't a "feature" - it was the way early electro-mechanical things worked.
Do you wonder why you don't hear a click everytime you touch the brakes or turn the steering wheel? It's because car makers want to make them as quiet as possible!
Forget about not hearing the blinkers click, and be happy you've got a quieter car than most!

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
Either they don't make sound- or it is very low. I have never noticed one way or the other. Since side mirrors have indicators- I would catch a lack to cancel in short order. I do know the short - lane change mode does not make a sound.
2011 JSW

jaehchoi85

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Good advice guys. After a week more of driving with the silent blinkers, I've actually come to appreciate it. And as JettaTDiPA stated, those side mirror indicators never lets me forget the blinker is on. Those things are bright!!!

Anyway, thanks all.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Naw they quit using blinker fluid when they got the upgrade to solid electrical harmonic balanced composite dielectric compound or SEHBCDC.

Cheers
Ah, you're right, didn't realize this was a wagen. The SEHBCDC was one of the first things decontented from the new sedan, unfortunately.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
Aren't most cars now being made with turn signals and hazards controlled electronically and not by a relay? I know that some cars are controlled by a little module that is part of the hazard button assembly. Not sure about VWs though. Anyway, mine makes a sounds but its not loud at all.

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I was poking around in Vag-Com , and it appears you can turn the noise off or on through the computer.

I didn't experiment, though. But I would play around with that long before I let them rip my car apart for a new cluster!!!

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
So I had a strange happening today. Drove to work ok, then later in the day I had to go somewhere, when i tried to start the car is fired up for about 1-2seconds and sounded very rough then all of a sudden everything went black and the car died. I tried to restart it and it was acting like an old carborated thing and died a few times. Eventually i stuck my foot into it while cranking the key and it fired up but was acting like only half the cylinders were firing. Eventually it cleared up and everything appeared to be ok. My first thoughts was a mildly iced over intercooler as it has been cool with a little moisture (even though I have not experienced one since owning the car (approx. 15 months and 26k miles)). But as i took off and drove around I noticed the blinker was no longer making any noise. It use to be nice and loud, now its silent. I also noticed my mileage was sucking so I fired up torque on my phone and saw that the car was running a regen. Eventually everything came back to normal and the car is running like it use to, just with silent blinkers/hazards. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Car went from noisy blinker to silent after a strange power "failure". My thoughts are maybe the ECU reset, but it still has all the changes I had made through the HUD.

Thoughts?

*edit* Forgot to mention, 2011 JSW.

Thanks,
J

Last edited:

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
Update on my issue reported almost a year ago. I got VCDS and no codes. Everything looked good. A few months later I wired the car for a trailer and pulled the battery for the wiring. After hooking the battery back up the dinger started working again.

Why do I dig up such an old post? Because I just had it happen again tonight on a weak battery. VCDS shows no codes. Pulled the battery for 30 sec, then hooked it back up. Dinger started working again.

Not a very good solution, but it works. Of course you have to deal with all the other stuff that comes along with pulling the battery after.

J

e.pilot

TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6mt
I ran in to this exact issue of no blinker sounds, as well as no chime for headlights or key left in the ignition. All I had to do was take apart the instrument cluster and reseat the speaker that makes the sounds, it was maybe a 15 minute job. The speaker just has some spring contacts that touch the cluster circuit board, so when it came loose they weren't contacting the board any more.

pwyngaard

TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi
SomeJ, I just had the same problem with my 2012 JSW TDI. We left it at the airport for two weeks and it would not start. Also, it said "Key Not In Range", even though I replaced the key fob battery at the beginning of the year, but the emergency start procedure worked just fine. It would turn over but not start. Didn't seem like it needed a jump, but I figured it was worth a try. The jump did the trick, and after a few failed and rough starts, it finally started and stayed running. Just went out to start it again, and it started right up. However, two "problems" persist: (1) Still says "Key Not In Range", and (2) The turn signals are silent.