Car For Sale

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It would be real nice if folks would post the final selling price in their threads.
I'm doing research for a totaled vehicle to establish insurance value. Most of the threads I see only list asking and many list nothing.
Please!!

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
It would be real nice if folks would post the final selling price in their threads.
I'm doing research for a totaled vehicle to establish insurance value. Most of the threads I see only list asking and many list nothing.
Please!!
I too have vented about that same issue... it falls on deaf ears...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I understand your frustrations, Bob. What I choose to attribute it to is that many people feel money is a private matter and should be kept between the buyer and seller. Some folks are OK with not posting a sold price, but they seem to be in the minority. I haven't had reason to delve into selling price, but I understand that there are websites that will show sold prices.

That being said, your thread title was very vague and if it wasn't by an established member, I wouldn't have looked.

Well, starting next Tues. anyway. It's my New Year's Resolution: no looking at threads with overly vague thread titles.

magnumak

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
You could also enhance your chances for incoming info for your negotiations if you listed what your situation is. Whats the car, the year and condition before the wreck. I have info on that situation but its on a 2004 passat wagon might be helpful might be useless to you.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Don't know if it helps but insurance said mine was worth 5800. Wife totaled it for the second time with 207k on it. Power heated leather seats. Gls.05 4 door Golf. Honestly didn't argue their value. 3 years ago same issue 04 Golf. Same price they gave me but I had to show them it was worth that as they offered a lot less then at first.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Thanks folks, all response appreciated!
The thread title was meant to get people to read it, not describe the content.
People have been conditioned to lie about sex, money, mileage. it's not a privacy thing, it's conditioning.
I'd love to know about these resources that show auto sold prices. I've done a lot of research, I know how to do proper internet searches (most do not), but nothing is as good as an actual price paid, everything else is informational only.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Another thing to consider is that prices can fluctuate quite dramatically based on location/market. Not quite the same as say a house, but in a way "location" does matter: a 4bdr house in the sticks in Nebraska and the same 4bdr house in Manhattan (is there such a thing?) are going to be priced quite differently.

Not sure if insurance companies go by national pricing or by some more localized pricing. Insurance rates are heavily influenced by local conditions/markets (statistics).

Looking forward to the New Year in which I can freely peruse overly vague subject threads w/o fear of "dogs" running loose in them.:D

Clroads

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan, 05 Passat sedan
Just pm the seller. Check your local Craig's list or follow on eBay for some other data points also.

crash400

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd be interested to know how you're doing this. My car got hit in the rear and the at fault insurance company insists they're using the valuation they came up with ($4400), and nothing else matters. I mentioned this forum and she literally scoffed and said, "that doesn't matter".