Where to buy a catalytic converter

StuMan

TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
Hi all, My Dad (78) has a 2006 TDI Jetta and he's moved to live with us. He had to go down to get an emissions test and found that he has no catalytic converter. From what I'm told and what I can find they all came with one so someone ripped him off at some point. I can't imagine why they'd take it except for scrap value?? Anyway, I guess we need to get him a new one. Any tips on where to get a deal? The dealership wants $1198!
Thanks!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
A specialty exhaust shop will be able to install one for you. Make sure they know to install a diesel cat - different than one made for a gasoline car.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Try to find out if they inspect for a VW (OEM) stock number stamped on the cat.
If so, a junkyard one can probably be found. If not, several exhaust suppliers sell them.

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
newvwparts.com

1K0-254-508-G
Intermediate Pipe
Converter & Pipe
1.9 LITER
$1,198.00 was
$956.00 today
They ship FED-X ground

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Make sure the inspection station actually knows WHERE the catalyst is on the BRM. It is just a little oval pump in the down pipe right off the turbo, down underneath where many catalysts are there is nothing. They may just be unfamiliar with that car. You can see the top of the catalyst under the hood back by the firewall, the oxygen sensor screws into it.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Make sure the inspection station actually knows WHERE the catalyst is on the BRM. It is just a little oval pump in the down pipe right off the turbo, down underneath where many catalysts are there is nothing. They may just be unfamiliar with that car. You can see the top of the catalyst under the hood back by the firewall, the oxygen sensor screws into it.
^This, right here.