Coolant Sensor Location

RES

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 1997 Passat (Totaled in Accident) 2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Having trouble with glow duration. Been looking for an hour but can't seem to find the coolant sensor on my 2000 Jetta. Is it near the coolant glow plugs? The FAQ talks about the left side of the engine. I assume this is the driver side.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

RES

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks MOGolf, I found it. It doesn't seem like it is that easy to replace. The two wires that originate from it are covered by shielding and merge into the glow plug harness. Eventually it ends up on a large connector. The FAQ states that it can be unplugged and easily replaced.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The connector should have 4 wires in it.

The sensor is held in place by a clip (#7) that is installed from below.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
It does not sound like you are looking at the right sensor. It is BEHIND and down a little near the corner on the right (as you are looking at the engine) and is hard to see till you find it the first time. It unplugs fairly easy Make sure you are looking at the right sensor. Maybe someone can post a PIcture of the area and sensor.

RES

Veteran Member
TDI
You are right, it does have four wires. I assume that when you pull the clip the sensor disengages without losing any coolant. Can it then be disconnected from the harness or can you pull the plug without removing the sensor. Sorry to be such a dummy.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can disconnect the harness without pulling the sensor out. It unclips from the sensor.

No, pulling #7 clip allows the sensor to be removed from #9, but you will lose coolant if you haven't drained the system down far enough.

RES

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, now it all makes sense. The sensor is black. Thanks guys for the help.