New project: Golf Mk4 PD TDI 4motion 6-speed

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
There's a small chance I've SAT on your desk, if not certainly at the same address... :D Gebäude 3?

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Got a new intake manifold in the meantime. It's meant to be a D24-intake, but actually it is from a 1980 VW LT :D Maybe the runners are a little different, but I have no "real" D24 intake here to compare. Good this is that it has VW pn on it. So I cleaned it und cut the outer runners off - thats the result:

Next things to do is to weld a "plug" on the one side and a 60mm hose flange to the other side. Got to visit Ruben again, I think... ;)

BTW, I have one spare manifold here - in case somebody wants it...

I finally managed to collect all parts for my Brembo-6-pot conversion; I got the calipers (left from my old car), the adaptors, new brake pads, brake lines, new rotors from a R32, new wheel bearings and hubs and some wheel spacers. I hope I can put them on at the weekend.

My engine parts are still under revision - speaking of that, does anyone know of sputter main bearings? We are not sure about pn for sputter bearing for the crank shaft; some say that transversal US CR TDIs have sputter bearings. Can anyone confirm that? ANd maybe even provide a pn?

Greetz,

Fabian

Last edited:

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Took some preps for my Brembo-installation today. I measured and tested if and how my VW Interlagos wheels would fit over the calipers.

First try: 15mm/wheel adaptor spacers (5/100 -> 5/112) plus VW Interlagos 8x18 ET41
Result: Caliper hits the wheel spokes and wheel hub doesn't even touch the rim.

Second try: 35mm/wheel spacers plus VW Interlagos
Result: Caliper is free, wheel turns. When wheels are installed on the car, they stand out about 20mm and the fenders are by far not covering the wheels. Bad.

Third try: 15mm/wheel spacers plus Mille Miglia EV-R 8.5x19 ET35
Result: caliper doesn't hit, wheel turns. With the wheels on the car, they stand out a little as well - but not as bad as the VW Interlagos plus 35mm combination. I did a testdrive on a non-public road and surprisingly the wheels don't scratch the wheel arches or inner fenders. So I kept them on for the first. This weekend I will swap the wheel hub housings and get the Brembo with 332x34 R32 rotors installed.

Greetz,

Fabian

Last edited:

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
It sounds irritating but those calipers are BIG so I understand its a tight fit. I hope you make it fit in some way.

R32 rotors are 334x32 :p

//Theo

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
R32 rotors are nice :) Directional vented. With the R32 calipers, they work with 17" Longbeach wheels. Tight, but it works. I think they don't work with all of the 17" wheels...

For sure, braking power is awesome. I did 180-0 and five times 120-0 in +/- 2 minutes and it was still braking very well :)

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Pics of the brakes setup? Im a bit of a brake slut lol, I really want to find a way to put the massive carbon fiber rotors from a Panamera on my car, but I think its a bit overkill lol. Im actually looking to do R32 brakes all around on my TDI, since I just have the lame ITT brakes. Also I replied to your FS ad for your other manifold ;)

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
@TheoSweden: Yep, you are right - I mixed the numbers ;)

@GiGGer: I have the R32 rotor (not OEM, but from EBC brakes), but I use Porsche Cayenne Brembo-6-pot calipers with adaptors, so no 17" wheel will fit at all :D

@mlemorie: I will take some pics today. The brake setup is not on the car yet, but I have it installed to the spare wheel hub housings I bought. At the same time I will take some more pics of my D24 FS and reply to the PMs. Panamera rotors will be some real brake p*rn ;)

Last edited:

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
I took some pics:

Golf with 8.5x19 ET35 Mille Miglia EV-R with 15mm adaptor wheel spacers per side:

And this is how the Brembo calipers are mounted to the Golf wheel hub housings:

As you can see, the brake is currently located in my living room and not on the car :D

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
And something I forgot to add earlier: There is an OEM VAG EGR block off plate - don't ask me why and for what reason, but it exists. Price is below 3,- Euros and this is how it looks like:

Pretty nice, I think. It is about 4-5mm thick and obviously made of steel.

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah the front wheels was a bit to much outside of the car but with ~-2,5deg camber angle youre home;)
-2,5--3 deg around will help traction ALOT and you get the feeling of Quattro at the same time. Mine was understeering bad as all other VWs but 'camberplates' made a huge difference.

//Theo

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
Theo, haven't ever heard of that. Where can I get such "camberplates"? How are they installed? Is it somerhing like this:

http://www.h2sport.com/products.php?productid=1219

Are there other vendors for that; maybe in Europe?
Yes, something like that. This is a picture of my Hohenester clubsport coilovers(realy dirty:))

They give me only around -2deg camber. But with S3 Hubs and arms you should get some more negative camber.
If I speak handling, this was the single most priceworth upgrade on my car. The cars just feels totaly different!

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Wow, nice camber plate. Did it come with the Hohenester coilover or is this a seperate item? Or is it even self-manufactured?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I took some pics:

Golf with 8.5x19 ET35 Mille Miglia EV-R with 15mm adaptor wheel spacers per side:

And this is how the Brembo calipers are mounted to the Golf wheel hub housings:

As you can see, the brake is currently located in my living room and not on the car :D
lToo bad you didn't get the S3 style hubs.. lowering the car with these hubs will do more bad than good in terms of roll and roll centre location

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
lToo bad you didn't get the S3 style hubs.. lowering the car with these hubs will do more bad than good in terms of roll and roll centre location
Yeah the S3 Hubs are designed for a low ride as standard so have good geometry. Shame I sold a pair last week for about £40!

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Yeah the S3 Hubs are designed for a low ride as standard so have good geometry. Shame I sold a pair last week for about £40!
Well, that's a shame... Whenever you get another set, let me know. There is still room for improvement and I didn't really take care of all that beside the engine issues ;)

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, nice camber plate. Did it come with the Hohenester coilover or is this a seperate item? Or is it even self-manufactured?
Oh sorry, I bought the plates from a small swedish company called ACE Competition who also build them. And I think they was sold together with the coilovers(though I bought my coliovers second hand without plates). The holes are drilled by me so I can adjust camber/caster.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Yes sorry Fabian I didn't even think about your project! I might be gathering some more S3/TT Quattro parts for another customer, so if some hubs become available, I will ensure they are put aside for you!
Yes I think the Engine will be taking up all of your time and money at the moment!

Forgot to ask in the email I sent yesterday, I need a bit of info on the Crafter Pistons if you can help me.

Cheers

Ry

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Ryan, send me an Email with any question you have about the Crafter pistons.

Found some sport camber mounts from H2Sport.com. The link I posted before was just for the caps, the entire kit is 298 CDN$ plus shipping to Europe (if they ship to Europe at all). Anyone experience with that? Should offer -1° camber.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Found some sport camber mounts from H2Sport.com. The link I posted before was just for the caps, the entire kit is 298 CDN$ plus shipping to Europe (if they ship to Europe at all). Anyone experience with that? Should offer -1° camber.
Je nachdem wann Du die Teile brauchst, komme ich evtl im Mai und kann sie für Dich mitbringen... ;) Die Firma kenne ich ziemlich gut.

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Je nachdem wann Du die Teile brauchst, komme ich evtl im Mai und kann sie für Dich mitbringen... ;) Die Firma kenne ich ziemlich gut.
Ich brauche die Teile nicht so extrem dringend, aber damit könnte ich die Bearbeitung der Kotflügel vermeiden. Das ist auf jeden Fall eine Option, falls die nicht nach Deutschland verschicken oder das zu teuer ist. Danke Dir!

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Those are the 4pot Touareg brembos arent they? I believe actually the Touareg 2.. For some reason I want to say the Touareg 1 front calipers were a 6pot setup, but I could be wrong though. Either way drooooool.

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
@mlemorie: Those are the 6-pot calipers from Touareg / Porsche Cayenne / Audi Q7.

@TheoSweden: Thanks! I certainly will come back to you in case I don't find a solution here in Germany. However, we got the Brembo installed last weekend (thanx to Ruben) and this is how it looks like now:

Leon Cupra 7.5x18 wheel with Brembo-6-pot caliper and R32-rotor

I still have 15mm adaptor wheel spacers installed, but together with those OEM Leon Cupra wheels I don't have to change anything with the fenders. However, Iit looks a little like there is positive camber on the front axis, but this might be just an impression. As you can see, wheels and calipers just fit perfectly - one mm less and the entire show would have been hampered :D Being so busy working with brakes and replacing the bushing of the A-pieces, we did in fact bleed the calipers and removed all air bubbles, but we forgot to do the same with the ABS hydraulic block. SO I got the impression there is still some air inside because it feels like kickboxing with Spongebob. But only for the first few cm when pushing the brake pedal; brake performance however is really good.

I got mail today - my McNally Instruments arrived and they look really nice. I put them into a NewSouth Performance 3-gauge panel that will be installed above my Kenwood radio. This is how it will look like:

I have to create some really nice wiring harness; unfortunately I don't really know if there is an opening in the firewall to put the cables through.

---------------------

Some engine talk:

We checked the D24-intake and decided to have the hose flange on the drivers (left) side. This means I will go for my "normal" FMIC with one hose connector on each side. This means there won't be the boost hose on the right hand side; we will try to put the air intake snorkle from airfilter box to turbo there and put an oval hose across the cyl head towards the airbox. Relocating the airbox is an option, but there is no real intake and I have to relocate powersteering reservoir and coolant reservoir as well. More thinking required...

Fabian

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Fabian, on my Polo (which is RHD) I used the grommet used for the bonnet release cable on LHD cars to run a wire through the firewall. I had to remove the glovebox to do it, but it's quite easy to do.

Although we have completely different cars, you should be able to use the grommet for the bonnet release cable on RHD cars if you can figure out where it comes into the car.

Sorry if my explaination is a bit sketchy. Here are a few pics to help you understand:

That's 4 AWG cable, and there's still some room to spare, so you should be fine.

Hope that helps!

Ash :)