MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09

TuningIn

TDI
Sold the 2010 JSW
:rolleyes:

Now I've seen it all. Just when I thought society couldn't get any more litigious....
I suppose we could accept VW's 'no' answer and spent $500 for the module that does what the manual states the car should from the factory + void our warranty at the same time.

We should also do the same if the HPFP issue is commonplace and they deny all claims so that we don't get litigious.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
I suppose we could accept VW's 'no' answer and spent $500 for the module that does what the manual states the car should from the factory + void our warranty at the same time.
This is a lost cause.

The wording in the manual that says something to the effect of "not all features present on all vehicles" and "some features may have changed" basically makes this OK.

I can (and have) used logic to try and show people that basically this is the way it is, and "what you bought is what you get", but reason has no place in the mind of an irrational arguer.

And also the wording on the law firms website says something to the effect thatthe design is defective and that it doesn't work. The bluetooth works and the design is solid.

I can't wait to see this get laughed out of court.

TuningIn

TDI
Sold the 2010 JSW
This is a lost cause.

The wording in the manual that says something to the effect of "not all features present on all vehicles" and "some features may have changed" basically makes this OK.

I can (and have) used logic to try and show people that basically this is the way it is, and "what you bought is what you get", but reason has no place in the mind of an irrational arguer.

Look it's obvious that you have your position of "just accept it as it is" because this situation does not affect you. If it doesn't affect you, then just ignore what the rest of us are doing.

The manual does not say "not all features present on all vehicles" and "some features may have changed". The actual answer from VW (when they called me to evaluate my customer satisfaction and I had brought it up) was "We have been called many times about this. They shouldn't have had that in the manual, and you don't have it because it was an option". When I asked them how I could get that "option" since it wasn't part of the package or an option that I could order, their response was "well... it shouldn't have been included in the manual. Is there something else I can help you with?".

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Wow, I'm glad I popped in here and seen some people are still beating this dead horse. I'm going to go pee up a flag pole and see what that does for me, I'll report back!

tonysdad1

TDI
2010 sportwagon
2010 jsw bluetooth

As a quick word of warning, the 2010 SW's seem to come with the 9w2 BT modules, which means that you won't be able to activate it unless you install a new BT module (9w3). Does your SW have the voice activated function when you push the mic button on the left side of the steering wheel? That's typically a quick indiator if you have 9W3. Best of luck.
I have a 2010 jsw with the nicer radio - no nav. and the salesman swore that the ohone book would be loaded automatically. It was 9:30 pm when we left dealership so we drove 140 miles home and I spent next 2 days trying to load phone book as salesman said as well as well as books that came with the vehicle. Finally called salesmanand he said drive over and he would have their wizzard load phone book etc. Drove there ands they failed to get it to work. When you stayed at dealer all day as you mention in your post did they remedy the problem?

Has anyone tried the "mediation" program described in manual to ge the upgrade to the 9w3? How did that work?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if someone says they swear it'll work, you can always call them on it and state, "do you swear your job on it?" okay numb nuts, this what needs to happen then give him the part numbers.

BTW are you shocked a sales man told you something to sell you a car?

DriverFoundNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW in Salsa Red; 2005 Golf in Indigo Blue
Join the class action, sue and get a $150 coupon good for an oil change while the lawyers get a brazillion dollars.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
Join the class action, sue and get a $150 coupon good for an oil change while the lawyers get a brazillion dollars.
Class action law suits make lawyers rich, and those covered feel a little better. The bluetooth module was forced anyway on my 2010 golf, I did not really want it, now I have it and like it.

Screw the lapdog lawyers I bought a 9w7 bluetooth module for $350 and plugged it in.
It works great and I have all the functions working today,

TuningIn

TDI
Sold the 2010 JSW
Based on what I've read here, I decided that I'm only going to be the plantiff for a suit in California court, and this is how the lawyers are going to pursue it. There are many people in the SocalVW and NorCal VW club forums that recognize that the 9w2 Bluetooth does not fulfill the handfree requirement. There's no point in me spending the effort to support the federal case in consideration if you all are fine with the 9w2.

For those in California that don't agree with the case, when all is completed, you can opt not to be included in the case and not to have the your bluetooth module swapped out.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
No go from the dealer we bought our Golf from. Got the official word today - time to try another dealer.

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
I guess I'm in the minority. Back in February when we ordered our car, I spent 20mins searching the net and learned a lot about the car, including that the 9W2 coming with my vehicle would be limited. My dealer went out of his way to see if we could get the 9w3 installed at factory or at port and unfortunately it wasn't an option. He suggested I just order the 9w3 and that the swap was very easy. I was about to order the 9w3 but the 9w7 came out so I ordered it from Steve at Vortex.

In today's "age of Google", I kind of feel that everyone (who knows enough about the internet to be here venting about this) should have done some research in the first place. It literally took me no time at all.

I absolutely hate the fact that these days everyone sues over everything. It's far less common in Canada thankfully. And yeah yeah, vie heard the whole "it's about the principle" argument. Pfft. So VW should have made it clearer in the manual. Whatever. Next time round don't complain when the manual only details the safety features and nothing more, for fear of confusing people about the options installed in their car.

shark1048

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI
ok here is my story -

My 2010 jetta tdi highline did not have the phone book nor the info displayed on the MFD. After reading all the info provided here, I was due to have my first oil change and asked the dealer to activate these missing functions. The old telephone code was 11088 - They changed it to 13087. The dealer thought it was odd not to have it activated already. (my build date was w/o dec 15 2009, delivered on Jan 15, 2010)

My dealer is based in Cornwall, Ontario

Now it works as it was intended to!

shark1048

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI
When I ordered the car at the beginning of dec 09, I asked every week for info at the dealer. Plus it should be on the sticker on the drivers door

fast16

TDI
looking 2010 tdi jetta dsg
i just got my 2010 jetta tdi and i paired my phone (palm pre) with the touchscreen but i couldnt get my phone book uploaded. Is my phone compatible with it or am i missing something?
thanks

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Verizon stucks with Bluetooth and VW compaitbility (my LG won't do it, but my buddies moto droid will).

Unless you know your car has been modified (you have navi?) to see contacts/phone in the MFD you won't get anywere with your phone.

Read through the thread.

Salem7

TDI
2010 JSW TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI
201 TDI JSW Blue tooth

I am having a "discussion" with VWOA concerning the 2010 TDI JSW. All the literature and the owners manual says I should have "Bluetooth Hands-free calling system with voice control". My JSW does not have this equipment.
My dealer is no help, VWOA says I got the car the way it was equipped from the factory. I have a 2010 TDI sedan,the Bluetooth operates as described in the manual. The dealer didn't know anything about this until I brought it to their attention. I gave the JSW blue tooth upgrade description from the Vortex site to the dealer and the Area Service Manager. The answer from VWOA is this is a modification and we will not do it and void my warranty
VW Customer care has basically said "too bad" to me. Any body else out there getting this cavalier treatment by VWOA? I am considering going to the NY Attorney General with this issue. I think VWOA should not be allowed to get away with advertising one thing and delivering another. I think if we all got together we could force VWOA to make the TDI JSW operate as described in the literature and the manual.
Please share your thoughts.:mad:

SRPumpelly

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
What literature a are you reading. I had to look very closely at the 2010 Jetta/Jetta Sportwagen brochure but it does exclude the "with voice control" from the wagen in the very fine print. I would love to find something that stated otherwise.

SP

wouldbecaller

TDI
2010 TDI SW
What the brochures said

Both the brochures and the VW website said that the Jetti TDI Sportwagen would have hands-free calling. It did not say standard voice control, which is one form of hands-free calling. The TCI Sportwagen owner's manual describes a hands-free menu-based system that some posters have gotten their dealers to enable. Apparently, after printing the brochures and setting up a website the promised hands-free calling, VW decided to drop the menu-based system. so they disabled it on cars being delivered. They could have upgraded to voice control as another way of providing hands-free calling, but they like to charge more for voice control. So VW simply refuses to deliver the hands-free capability promised. VW's arrogance is truly amazing - they simply do not care what they promised. Everyone with a TDI Sportwagen should sue VW and raise Cain with their state consumer protection agencies.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
I know there's a lot of info in this thread but I still would like some advice:

The sticker from my 2010 JSW (with touchscreen radio & multifunction steering wheel) shows "Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity" in the Standard Features list. Nothing about "hands-free". It paired easily with my LG Prime but nothing, of course, appears in the MFDisplay. I can answer calls using the phone buttons in the MFSW but have to use the LG unit itself to call out. Phone connections mute the radio (the microphone button on the MFSW also mutes it).

I assume, until I see otherwise, that the vehicle has the 9w2 unit.
My question: what can I expect if I change the BT code to 000477, or 0010477, or some other operational number? I don't expect voice control, but will I get anything in the MFD?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
I assume, until I see otherwise, that the vehicle has the 9w2 unit.
My question: what can I expect if I change the BT code to 000477, or 0010477, or some other operational number? I don't expect voice control, but will I get anything in the MFD?
The 9W2 does not support changing the coding like the 9W3 does. The 9W2 uses long coding vs. soft coding like the 9W3.

Unfortunately - 9W2 = No MFD display. None. Ever. Not possible.

Salem7

TDI
I would suggest to everyone to look at the VW web site. I printed out the page from the web site.

vw.com/vwfeatures/.../us/

When I printed the page on July 22nd it clearly states for the TDI JSW that it has Bluetooth Hands-Free calling system with voice control. To be able to use the voice control you have to be able to have a phone book. VW has clearly not delivered what they are to this day advertising as being offered in the brochure, and describing in the owners manual. They can put what ever they want in fine print, it is still fraudulent advertising.

I have contacted the NYS Attorney Generals Office and am filing a fraudulent practices complaint and trying to join a class action lawsuit.

http://www.sfmslaw.com/class-action-...ses.php?id=944

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
good luck! your time is probably better spent just buying the 9W3 and calling it done, but it's your time and I hope you enjoy wasting others.

Salem7

TDI
Previous post

You sound like you work for VOA? No need to be hostile. Why is it a waste of time holding a manufacturer accountable?
Why should I buy something that the manufacturer should be providing? BTW VWOA told me I would void my warranty if I installed the high option, so I would suggest all those who are thinking of doing that get in writing a letter stating that your warranty is in force. FYI VW America has a demand letter from the law firm poised to file a class action suite. If VW does not make this right by the end of August VWOA will be in court over this.
To the comment that VW wants to put blue-tooth high only in expensive cars- I have a 2010 TDI Jetta sedan, that has the voice control feature. My 2010 TDI JSW does not.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't work for VOA but the semantics people can get worked up over are crazy.

I'm amazed all these people didn't try out all these features before the signed for the car if it is such a big deal. That way you could have worked it into the negotiation. Who takes the salesman for their word? To me it seems a bunch of whining cry babies not getting the BMW they wish they could afford.

Salem7

TDI
The salesman should be taken at their word. If not it is deception.

I don't work for VOA but the semantics people can get worked up over are crazy.
I'm amazed all these people didn't try out all these features before the signed for the car if it is such a big deal. That way you could have worked it into the negotiation. Who takes the salesman for their word? To me it seems a bunch of whining cry babies not getting the BMW they wish they could afford.
That is just the point. No one knew how it worked, what equipment was in the car, not even the salespeople, technical people or anyone at the dealership. I have a long term relationship with this dealer, buying over a dozen VW's from them in the last 20 years. VW perpetrated a fraud on their customers, plain and simple. If they were not trying to do that, why would they be equipping certain vehicles same model year and model with different features? VWOA should be a stand-up company and make things right for their customers. BTW you don't have to be rude, with name calling-and I never, ever wanted a BMW auto-a bike that is a different story.
I ordered my car with the expectation that it would have the features as advertised in the brochure, the website and the owners manual. How come the dealership didn't even know about the discrepancy?

zetrad

TDI
2010 jetta sportwagen
if i may ask a silly question...where is the microphone on the '10 JSW located? is it in the overhead console?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
if i may ask a silly question...where is the microphone on the '10 JSW located? is it in the overhead console?
I think it is, but try another thread to be sure. This one is now about suing VW. Some of the guys with the 9W7 swap know a lot about the car. I would try that thread.

I did the 9W7 swap. It is great, easy, and relatively inexpensive for about $350 or maybe even lesss. I'm just not positive about the microphone location.