Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
As diesel machinery operators, me and my brothers have always said we want to take a nalgene of diesel at the end of each shift when we fill our machines up. It would very nearly cover the commute, and never be noticed. Also, I am so doubtful anyone would pull over a tdi to test the diesel. So barring yearly inspections in certain places, I find it hard to imagine being caught.

That being said, I still will never do it haha
Read up on the laws here a little. First offence is a fine no greater than $1000 second is no greater than $5000. Also may be prision time. Anyway not worth it. You hear about guys with non farm plates who do and I have never met anyone who has had their tank dipped but the savings are not worth it.

Reactions: Ton

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I am so doubtful anyone would pull over a tdi to test the diesel. So barring yearly inspections in certain places, I find it hard to imagine being caught.

That being said, I still will never do it haha
Yeah but with fuel prices continuing vertical I imagine they'll start dipping tanks more often.
I've heard if you set it in a transparent container in the sun for a while it will turn clear.
Not something I would even want to bother with though, not worth the risk.

Out of curiousity, what kind of equipment do you run?
I ran tele-handler, payloader, and some smaller toyota forklifts for four years at my last job, really enjoyed those years.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah but with fuel prices continuing vertical I imagine they'll start dipping tanks more often.
I've heard if you set it in a transparent container in the sun for a while it will turn clear.

I ran tele-handler, payloader, and some smaller toyota forklifts for four years at my last job, really enjoyed those years.
I ran a skid steer this summer, older Case, and some new bobcats, little excavator and once for fun my boss let me take a couple swings with a 44 ton a which was awesome. Those skid steers got me into TDI's along with that boss who couldn't say enough good things about them.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Those skid steers got me into TDI's along with that boss who couldn't say enough good things about them.
We actually had a Linde forklift with a TDI in it at that place too, looked identical to my ALH but I'm not sure it was technically the same engine code. Was kinda neat. One of the maintenance guys found a random loose hose on it and had to ask me where it belonged, I took a glance and realized right away it was the vacuum hose off the pump, someone must have missed reinstalling it at some point. 😂

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
We actually had a Linde forklift with a TDI in it at that place too, looked identical to my ALH but I'm not sure it was technically the same engine code. Was kinda neat. One of the maintenance guys found a random loose hose on it and had to ask me where it belonged, I took a glance and realized right away it was the vacuum hose off the pump, someone must have missed reinstalling it at some point. 😂
The case had a Cummins B4 what a beast! Cable controlls at full throttle when you stepped on it would pick the front wheels up.

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k

I totally agree with you and @CanadianALH they may increase dipping, tdis are just so nondescript, especially if you were to de badge and not be a tdiscumbag. That said, I never have, and never plan to do died. Not remotely worth it, I am too much of a scaredy cat haha. And I think heavy machinery may be dubious quality too. It is always just a funny thought.

I operate snow cats at my local mountain.

420̷hp Caterpillar engines, 14 tonne machine, 18 foot wide and a 4.5 tonne winch on the back. Very fun job, quite stimulating, and good views. Supports my skiing lifestyle with a free pass haha.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I totally agree with you and @CanadianALH they may increase dipping, tdis are just so nondescript, especially if you were to de badge and not be a tdiscumbag. That said, I never have, and never plan to do died. Not remotely worth it, I am too much of a scaredy cat haha. And I think heavy machinery may be dubious quality too. It is always just a funny thought.

420̷hp Caterpillar engines, 14 tonne machine, 18 foot wide and a 4.5 tonne winch on the back. Very fun job, quite stimulating, and good views. Supports my skiing lifestyle with a free pass haha.
DANG that's cool! Those are some stunning photos.
Always wanted to ski/snowboard in the mountains, maybe one day...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I had heard that as well so I did some testing. Unfortunately it won't get rid of the UV dye, and no amount of oil/additive/other will fix it. You would have to find something fuel safe to reverse the UV dye which I'm not even sure is possible in fuel. It will change color. I left some in a milk jug on top of a roof for a week, and it did go normal-ish color, but UV still shows up with a black light. You would have to put it in large containers that sunlight can get through. Something like peanut oil jugs.

You won't (🤞) get pulled over if your tdi is debadged. You would have to be rolling coal for an officer to notice and decide your worth checking out.
Really the only way to do it is if you have a large storage system. If you purchase it all the time you are more likely to get checked out since they have your info. If your in farm country I'm sure it's easier as everyone has skidloaders and such.

Last edited:

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI

Dude a snow cat?? Seriously that is so cool! I hear they are an awesome machine.

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
The big thing is if you go to court and the judge is nice to you. Don't brag about it on the way out of court. I heard of one man that bragged about how easy he got off. Someone told the judge and he had to see the judge again. This time it hurt when he saw the judge. It was about running dyed diesel in an on road vehicle.

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
Dude a snow cat?? Seriously that is so cool! I hear they are an awesome machine.
They ae really cool machines, extremoly capable, and extremely complicated. 12 way blade, and the tiller on the back has just as many or more adjustments, then the winch are all controlled with the right hand joystick, and your left hand has 2 small sticks to control each track. I do genuinely love my job though.
Someone told the judge and he had to see the judge again.
That is really really funny, and deserved honestly if you are bragging in the court house still:ROFLMAO: And I am not saying it will never happen, but like @MrCypherr just saying I would definitely be surprised if I ever got dipped. Tdis are just so incognito. Again though, still stressing it is not something I will be doing. $10̷5 still gets me 10̷0̷0̷km, so I am doing okay.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
It's something that seems to come and go in phases around my area. Then they will switch to dot stops for stupid reasons, give everyone with a truck and trailer grief over something. Went through that about 2 years ago hauling a mini back to the rental yard. Dot cop pulled me over, tried giving me a bunch of crap before he realized I have my class A cdl, the truck and trailer were properly licensed, neither was over loaded, and the mini was properly chained to the trailer. Guys with car trailers and horse trailers were getting beat up too. Few years before that they were pulling every guy with a diesel anything over and dipping the tank. It's all a money scheme imo.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
They ae really cool machines, extremoly capable, and extremely complicated. 12 way blade, and the tiller on the back has just as many or more adjustments, then the winch are all controlled with the right hand joystick, and your left hand has 2 small sticks to control each track. I do genuinely love my job though.
Seriously cool, until you get one stuck in a swamp the trail boss said was frozen enough, then you have a nightmare on your hands :mad:

We use them to groom snowmobile trails - long hours late at night hauling a massive drag even bigger than the machine itself.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
I just looked at a random Calgary petro compared to mine, 1.59 compared to my 1.79 :(. BC is a bit of a fuel bummer haha we are so close to you folks, I live 40̷ minutes from the border.
Never been to Fernie. I have camped in Sparwood before. Not a skier looks fun though. Like the mountain roads though.

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
Seriously cool, until you get one stuck in a swamp the trail boss said was frozen enough, then you have a nightmare on your hands :mad:

We use them to groom snowmobile trails - long hours late at night hauling a massive drag even bigger than the machine itself.
Hahaha I certainly would not want to be cracked through into a swamp, that would suck. What kind do you have? I used to be a Pistenbully operator, but Fernie tragically uses Prinoth. I know some trail folks use old BRs and PBs, but some have the new huskys and 10̷0̷s. I always thought trail grooming would be cool, alone on thin tracks.

Never been to Fernie. I have camped in Sparwood before. Not a skier looks fun though. Like the mountain roads though.
Fernie is pretty similar to Sparwood, just less industrial, both are beautiful.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)

Seen that before lol. We had one a year or two ago fall through the ice on a pond and sink up to the bottom of the door. They abandoned it there for a day or two before having it towed out. Wished I could have seen that.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Awsome, that is pretty cool. I used to groom at Hidden Valley ski area in Huntsville, you ever groom the trail that connects our hill? Used to go out now and then to the OFSC trail there.
I've ridden that trail but never groomed it. Founding member of Moonbridge Snoriders (we had 2 Alpines and a Trak Truck) which is now part of MSTLA - a bit south of Huntsville. We logged exactly 0 grooming hours this season due to the cancellation of winter. Sleds still in storage :mad:

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
I've ridden that trail but never groomed it. Founding member of Moonbridge Snoriders (we had 2 Alpines and a Trak Truck) which is now part of MSTLA - a bit south of Huntsville. We logged exactly 0 grooming hours this season due to the cancellation of winter. Sleds still in storage :mad:
Awesome. I heard it has been atrocious there this year. HV has many runs that will just not open this winter, my Dad actually texted today saying it was +10̷°C, raining, and thunder/lightning... what a February.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Read up on the laws here a little. First offence is a fine no greater than $1000 second is no greater than $5000. Also may be prision time. Anyway not worth it. You hear about guys with non farm plates who do and I have never met anyone who has had their tank dipped but the savings are not worth it.
Used to have a neighbor that did hardscape work and had three or four big diesel (350-450) trucks. He was always getting stopped and checked. Of course, he was also the type of guy that would go out of his way to make things harder for law enforcement.

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
Used to have a neighbor that did hardscape work and had three or four big diesel (350-450) trucks. He was always getting stopped and checked. Of course, he was also the type of guy that would go out of his way to make things harder for law enforcement.
Those are exactly what it makes me think of, big trucks are 10̷0̷% attractive to dip, but a little golf/jetta? I just see that as unlikely in the places where there are not yearly inspections that test your tank, or a road stop where theydo an in depth test of every vehicle, meaning they would have to notice ours.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I’ve only had two people comment on my Taco being diesel.
One young fella at a fuel pump while we were both fueling.
The other was a military veteran in a Menards parking lot who heard it fire up and knew it was unique to the states.