coolant temp sensor location

rdannys

i am trying to troubleshoot a glow plug # 2 code, i have looked at the glow plug 101 thread and had a bad glow plug. i replaced the glow plug but am still getting the same code. will the code clear itself when the problem is fixed or does it have to be cleared with a code clearer? i am trying to locate the coolant temp sensor so i can unplug it and test to see if it is good but cant seem to find it by looking at the pictures in the glow plug 101 thread. can anyone shed some light on where the sensor is? i am working on a 2002 jetta tdi
Thank You for your help
danny

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You need to clear the code. On the drivers side of the engine on the head is a round aluminum piece. That's the vacuum pump. Strait under that is the sensor. On the back side of the hoses. The other location is in the coolant lines right off the radiator. It would be on the same side about 8 inches back from the radiator.

kasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat TDI spd manual
If you look at the engine, on the right hand side just below the end of the valve cover, you will notice the 3 glow plugs sticking up in a 'fan ' shape. These are glow plugs to heat the coolant, behind them and slightly lower you will find the sensor you want. It points toward the firewall and the plug is easily removed. You can practise removal on any other similar sensor that is easier to get at, use a small slotted screwdriver. Changing the sensor can be easy or a PITA depending on how quick you are and how small your hands are. There is a "U" shaped plastic clip which can be pulled out(downwards) to remove the actual sensor.
Codes need to be reset after the fix...any VAG -COM equiped member can do it or go to Autozone.
good luck
Ted

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You only see the GP's on the manual transmission cars. The automatics don't have them.