2 codes after timing belt

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
So I just finished up doing a Timing belt service on my 04. I set my torsion value at first without using my OBDELEVEN because I was having issues getting it to connect. I ended up setting it close to the middle to get a good start. Finally got my OBDELEVEN to work so I checked the Torsion value it was -2.94.
It was then I discovered these 2 codes in the OBD-2 module. The car runs great and I have the torsion value set at 2 but the codes have not cleared and come back when I clear them. Any ideas?

P0025 B Camshaft position (bank 2)
Timing over advanced or system performance

P1300 Combustion misfire detected
Low fuel

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You installed the belt wrong. No idea how or what you did or did not do correctly, but it is not timed properly.

When you put the belt on and tension it, with the crank locked, cam locked and sprocket loose, it should "land" with the bolts in the slotted holes pretty close to the middle, and torsion is usually +/- within 1.00.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
You installed the belt wrong. No idea how or what you did or did not do correctly, but it is not timed properly.
When you put the belt on and tension it, with the crank locked, cam locked and sprocket loose, it should "land" with the bolts in the slotted holes pretty close to the middle, and torsion is usually +/- within 1.00.
Maybe the cam is off a tooth? I used the tools and followed the guide from Dieselgeek same as I did 90k miles ago. Guess I will mark the belt and redo the belt to see what happened.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Are these motors just like the old 1.6’s where you can check the cam position by pulling the valve cover and checking the #1 cam lobes are both pointing skyward?

oilhammer

TDI
The cam lock pin does that, so you don't need to. The SOHC PD TDI is by far the easiest timing belt to install and time.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
When i do a timing belt even with the lock tools i mark and count teeth on the timing belts. Many of the timing belts i do have multiple belts and cams.

Mark 1 tooth on the cam gear and where it meets the belt. Then do the same on the crank gear. Count the teeth between the 2 marks. Install the new belt with exactly the same amount of teeth between both marks.

When paired with the locking tools (or timing marks on many motors) you now have 2 methods of ensuring proper timing before reassembly. I even go as far as turning the motor over by hand 360 degrees and re checkingh the marks to verify im good before reassembly.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
When i do a timing belt even with the lock tools i mark and count teeth on the timing belts. Many of the timing belts i do have multiple belts and cams.

Mark 1 tooth on the cam gear and where it meets the belt. Then do the same on the crank gear. Count the teeth between the 2 marks. Install the new belt with exactly the same amount of teeth between both marks.

When paired with the locking tools (or timing marks on many motors) you now have 2 methods of ensuring proper timing before reassembly. I even go as far as turning the motor over by hand 360 degrees and re checkingh the marks to verify im good before reassembly.

Thanks for the tips Gentlemen. I’ve done timing belts on 1.6s, alhs, My old 1z, and 1 previous belt on this engine I always use the tools so I’m a bit stumped where I we t wrong here. Car runs fine but I want it to completely correct

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Timing is dead on...

Checked the timing using the marking on the lower belt cover/harmonic balancer and cam lock loosened bolts on the cam the torsion value is -.49. Idle is rock solid at 861. Could belt be tension ever so slightly wrong it’s making the timing advanced enough to through the code? Looks like I’m gonna have to tear it down again to reset the belt tension with the crank lock in place.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf

Sound the klaxons!!!!!

AHHHHOOOOOOGAAAAHHHHHH
AHHHHOOOOOOGAAAAHHHHHH

:mad::mad: MARK AND PRAY TIMING BELT TECHNIQUE DETECTED :mad::mad:

AHHHHOOOOOOGAAAAHHHHHH
AHHHHOOOOOOGAAAAHHHHHH

--- serious post starts here ---

There is no need to mark, count, paint or whatever when doing a PD timing belt. Lock the cam, lock the crank, put the belt on, tension, done. My two solo timing belts on my Golf have both wound up with the torsion at 0.0 both times. Getting the belt on and tensioned correctly is by far easier on the PD than the ALH, and I can see how the transverse PD would be even easier.

Don't overthink this. Don't shortcut it. Just do the correct procedure correctly. It's amazingly simple and effective.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Few comments from and FB group.

”Well... this car doesn't have a B camshaft or a bank 2. It shouldn't be possible to set that code at all on this ECU. So, kind of thinking either the ECU is corrupted or the OBDEleven isn't quite right.”

”FWIW, I had an ALH recently that was doing a couple odd things and it was setting codes that ALHs never set. Namely, codes for not seeing the relays for the coolant glow plugs... And it was an automatic transmission equipped car, which aren't supposed to have coolant glow plugs... and it was coded correctly. Besides, with the number of manual swaps I've done on those cars, I know they never set those codes even when coded as a manual but without wiring the relays in. BEWs do, ALHs do not.

Put another ECU in, problem solved, codes don't return, no odd, intermittent weird drivability issues anymore either. ECU failure isn't very common, but it does happen.”

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Sound the klaxons!!!!!

AHHHHOOOOOOGAAAAHHHHHH
AHHHHOOOOOOGAAAAHHHHHH

:mad::mad: MARK AND PRAY TIMING BELT TECHNIQUE DETECTED :mad::mad:

AHHHHOOOOOOGAAAAHHHHHH
AHHHHOOOOOOGAAAAHHHHHH

--- serious post starts here ---

Actually its a great safety net method to make it fool proof when used with proper locking tools and while you may not approve its a method thats been used on timing belts/chains longer than you and i have been around from motors to industrial manufacturing equipment.

I started using it when i was riding Ducati motorcycles, pulling them down to tdc for each cyl and timing belt was a pain. Its only a mark and "pray" as you say if you lack the ability to count.

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
Actually its a great safety net method to make it fool proof when used with proper locking tools and while you may not approve its a method thats been used on timing belts/chains longer than you and i have been around from motors to industrial manufacturing equipment.
I started using it when i was riding Ducati motorcycles, pulling them down to tdc for each cyl and timing belt was a pain. Its only a mark and "pray" as you say if you lack the ability to count.
I mark the gears and belt every time as a double check as well.

oilhammer

TDI
If you are doing it correctly, you don't have to worry about trying to second guess the correct procedure. However, if it makes you feel better about it, it certainly won't hurt anything. But to be honest, and I am not singling out the OP in this statement, but I see a LOT of things here and on other car sites that tell me a LOT of people should not be attempting to do a LOT of things. Let alone the Failtrain wrecks I see come in the shop almost daily. Not everyone is cut out to wrench on things. Just like I cannot rollerskate or ski to save my life. ;)

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
If you are doing it correctly, you don't have to worry about trying to second guess the correct procedure. However, if it makes you feel better about it, it certainly won't hurt anything. But to be honest, and I am not singling out the OP in this statement, but I see a LOT of things here and on other car sites that tell me a LOT of people should not be attempting to do a LOT of things. Let alone the Failtrain wrecks I see come in the shop almost daily. Not everyone is cut out to wrench on things. Just like I cannot rollerskate or ski to save my life. ;)
What do you see I did wrong?

Anyhow I hooked up to vagcom and these codes didn’t come up. The car ia running great. I also deleted the EGR and ASV so perhaps those codes are triggering something in the ECU. Either way I’m going to ignore for now the belt is on correctly and tensioned properly.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Oil hammer is only feeling invincible because the blues brought home a cup this year.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If VCDS doesn't show any codes but the OBDELEVEN (stupidest name ever) doesn't and the engine runs fine then I would not worry about it.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf

Counterpoint: it's a bad method to maybe get the timing close to how it was, and you don't know if that was good or not.

Every engine, motor or industrial manufacturing equipment I have ever worked on that didn't have locking tools had alternate methods of timing including using dial test indicators, shut height indicators, die blocks, lead checks or something similar.

Using paint marks is lazy and pointless when the correct tools and procedure easily gets the timing spot-on every time.

We can agree to disagree on this one, but you will find FAR more ruined motors using paint marks than those without.

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
Pretty sure everyone here that posted that they mark the timing belt, stated that they all use the correct locking tools and mark the belt as a secondary double check.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
What the hell do i know. Ive only been wrenching on equipment for a living the last 20 plus years.

Here's the deal. A motor that is in time, is in time at tdc or bdc or any point in between correct?

So long as the belt or chain or gears that are being replaced are currently in time marking said teeth as well as indicators into the block then it is 100% guaranteed you are going to put the timing back into its original place.

Do not try this on any equipment if you have blurry vision or cannot count .

Yes in most equipment there are marks in the block however its not always easy to line up or even see these marks. In some cases the lining up marks means a full disassembly/removal (like on an early 2000s polaris atv or side by side) turn that motors cyl 1 to tdc, Mark the cam gear/chain and pop that head off as that customer isnt going to pay for a full tear down so you can see that crank mark.

You cant over think these things. You have to be smarter than the equipment you're working on.

Just trust me on this one. Agree or dont agree. Im assuming you got your anti mark and count opinions from text books or someone that uses them as a bible.

When you're wrenching for a living 2 things matter, quickest method possible and no come backs. Text books are usually written by or overseen by engineers and for the most part engineers shouldn't be trusted with scissors much less real tools.

There isnt an issue with mark and count, there is an issue with inept people using a method that only an experienced tech should attempt and 9 times out of 10 they did it incorrectly on a repair they shouldn't have tried doing themselves to begin with.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Pretty sure everyone here that posted that they mark the timing belt, stated that they all use the correct locking tools and mark the belt as a secondary double check.

I work on equipment/engines that timing tools or locks have not been available for decades. Try finding an alignment tool for a kohler K series motor.

I did/do use locking tools on my vw, was 19 bucks for the set, that's a no brainer.