Mk7 Common issues and resolutions

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
Not the only one...

Ok, I know this sounds retarted but has anyone else sliced their hand or finger on the trim around the automatic shifter once you open the door forward of it? That silver piece is extremely sharp, i've sliced my dang thumb on it twice…. Am I the only one? Thanks.
This happened to me too. Cut my hand pretty good, and the metal/plastic pulled away when I pulled my hand back. Dealer replaced under warranty. It just wasn't rolled over the edge far enough, I guess.

Colville

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL "The Modern Squareback"
This happened to me too. Cut my hand pretty good, and the metal/plastic pulled away when I pulled my hand back. Dealer replaced under warranty. It just wasn't rolled over the edge far enough, I guess.
Thanks for the info… definitely having that done on mine, thats exactly the problem.

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
Car is going in Friday for the AdBlue injector/line leak:

Two other issues I noticed that the dealer couldn't replicate:

1) The touchscreen function on the nav doesn't work every now and then, and it has a weird habit of cycling through the satellite stations by itself, and occasionally adding them to the presets. Dealer said they couldn't replicate and found no codes, and thus couldn't do anything about it.

2) I had one random instance of the cruise control disengaging without any external prompts (didn't touch the brake pedal or the cancel button) - dealer couldn't find anything, and it never happened again, but just strange.
Checked under my hood last night. Have the same crap happening. I really wish VW would hurry up so I can get rid of this POS car.

Last edited:

lalyde

TDI
2015 VW GSW MT TDI
I thought I would add the few small issues I had on my car for reference in case anyone else looks at this thread. The info I got on this site for the vacuum hose in particular really helped me out so hopefully no one else runs into this but it did save me the $1200 repair bill so figured I would note it here in case some one else needs the advice.

I had a fault code which caused limp along mode around 48K miles. The turbo was seeing a vacuum and the dealership said the vacuum hose needed to be replaced. Per some helpful people on this site I nosed around under the hood looking for loose connections and while nothing was obvious to me it also hasn't done it since so I would guess it was indeed not seated well and I managed to wiggle it into place.

My sunroof was also leaking around the 40K service so the drain tubes were blown out and so far so good.

I have had one broken belt in a tire which is most definitely the fault of the awful MI roads and not VW.

Finally around 53K miles my auto up/down stopped working on the driver's side. The window still functions just not the one touch up and down. Not the end of the world but figured I would note it.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I thought I would add the few small issues I had on my car for reference in case anyone else looks at this thread. The info I got on this site for the vacuum hose in particular really helped me out so hopefully no one else runs into this but it did save me the $1200 repair bill so figured I would note it here in case some one else needs the advice.

I had a fault code which caused limp along mode around 48K miles. The turbo was seeing a vacuum and the dealership said the vacuum hose needed to be replaced. Per some helpful people on this site I nosed around under the hood looking for loose connections and while nothing was obvious to me it also hasn't done it since so I would guess it was indeed not seated well and I managed to wiggle it into place.

My sunroof was also leaking around the 40K service so the drain tubes were blown out and so far so good.

I have had one broken belt in a tire which is most definitely the fault of the awful MI roads and not VW.

Finally around 53K miles my auto up/down stopped working on the driver's side. The window still functions just not the one touch up and down. Not the end of the world but figured I would note it.
Great to hear the vacuum hose was likely just loose! As for the auto up/down, I have that issue too. The window regulator (motor) draws too much current and has to be reset. To do this, get in the car and turn the ignition on but don't start the car. Hold the window switch in the auto up position for a few seconds, you'll hear the motor make some noise and stop. Repeat a second time, and it will be reset. This is actually in the owners manual. I have a new regulator waiting to go in if it decides to fully quit on me. FYI, when the regulator has to be reset the rest of your auto features won't work such as key fob window operation, or the auto open/close that can be done from the keyless door handle, and also the auto close in rain feature!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lalyde

TDI
2015 VW GSW MT TDI
Great to hear the vacuum hose was likely just loose! As for the auto up/down, I have that issue too. The window regulator (motor) draws too much current and has to be reset. To do this, get in the car and turn the ignition on but don't start the car. Hold the window switch in the auto up position for a few seconds, you'll hear the motor make some noise and stop. Repeat a second time, and it will be reset. This is actually in the owners manual. I have a new regulator waiting to go in if it decides to fully quit on me. FYI, when the regulator has to be reset the rest of your auto features won't work such as key fob window operation, or the auto open/close that can be done from the keyless door handle, and also the auto close in rain feature!

Thanks, I will try this today!

rjsb22

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Highline
Hi everyone!
Just joined the club!
I've bought my first tdi last November. A 2015 golf manual Highline (here in Canada).
Driving 240km/day now, so the fuel savings are pretty nice.
So far I'm liking the car, however I am hearing this vibration/rattle somewhere in the dash or engine bay or somewhere....
It comes in around 1500 RPM or so under load. Its really only noticeable in 5th or 6th.
I've looked at these posts, but I haven't seen a definite cause here.

I did take it to the dealer last month for my first oil change and told them about the rattle. Of course they were not able to isolate the cause and they said they would need more time to find it.

Anybody have any updates on this issue which seems to have happened to a few people here?

.........or has everyone given up on their tdi's now?

hankster88

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 Golf TDI S 6M-Sold
RJSB Try taking a look at this

I had an annoying rattle in my new 2015 Golf TDI when the engine would warm up and under acceleration. The rattle seemed to come from the engine compartment on the firewall. I decided to try to find it myself. It turned out to be the mounting of the pressure boost control solenoid. There are washers that act like a cricket under vibration. About 1/2 turn tightening of the mounting nuts silenced the rattle. It's been 3 weeks and still no rattle. I thought I'd share in case anyone else has a similar problem.

rjsb22

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Highline
Great thanks! I'll look into it to see if I can actually get to it myself. If not, maybe I can just point the dealer in that direction.
Thanks again.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I just tried the above recommendation as I have a similar rattle. My solenoid bracket was tight already, but snugged it a touch more. My rattle sounds like it's coming from the dash though, but doesn't happen enough for me to really dig into. My armrest rattle on the other hand, that one I may try to fix.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
I just tried the above recommendation as I have a similar rattle. My solenoid bracket was tight already, but snugged it a touch more. My rattle sounds like it's coming from the dash though, but doesn't happen enough for me to really dig into. My armrest rattle on the other hand, that one I may try to fix.
Mine has a small rattle sound when I have the climate control set to auto. Not sure which vents it's blowing out, but when I swap to top and bottom venting, or anything besides auto it stops. I didn't bother asking the dealer because I dind't want them to take the dash apart and potentially create more problems.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine has a small rattle sound when I have the climate control set to auto. Not sure which vents it's blowing out, but when I swap to top and bottom venting, or anything besides auto it stops. I didn't bother asking the dealer because I dind't want them to take the dash apart and potentially create more problems.
I rarely use the auto feature, but I will try switching vent positions next time and see if there's a difference. Doesn't happen often enough, but I agree I'd prefer to not have to rip the dash apart for something fairly minor.

PaulL

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Rear window nozzle did not work properly. It did not spay evenly, the liquid just flowed as a continuous stream onto the window. Replaced the nozzle and it works as it should now.

Automatic window up/down function of front driver side door stopped working quite often. It was annoying because I have to reset the function or let it relearn. The dealer replaced the window motor. The malfunction has not happened since then.

Both issues look common in 2015 Golfs. I've owned my 2015 Golf TDI since August 2014. Both happened within the first 6 months so the expenses were covered by the warranty.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
Rear window nozzle did not work properly. It did not spay evenly, the liquid just flowed as a continuous stream onto the window. Replaced the nozzle and it works as it should now.
Automatic window up/down function of front driver side door stopped working quite often. It was annoying because I have to reset the function or let it relearn. The dealer replaced the window motor. The malfunction has not happened since then.
Both issues look common in 2015 Golfs. I've owned my 2015 Golf TDI since August 2014. Both happened within the first 6 months so the expenses were covered by the warranty.
I didn't have the rear nozzle issue, but do have the auto window up/down malfunction on the driver's side extremely often. I told the dealer who said if it kept happening to let them know, so good to know that replacement made a difference.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Amazon sells the cluster for like $12. Takes about 3 mins to replace. When you open it, you will see how it broke.

Or, bring it to dealer and waste hours of your life in exchange for a car wash :)

PSA: be gentle with those buttons. Dont push or lift too hard.

Last edited:

maroo

TDI
hi everyone!

I've already opened a thread (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478881)...

After a rough use on a bad surfaced road, my mk7 started making too much engine noise in my cabin. like it lost it's sound isolation in cabin. I remember engine has a more solid more thud sound before, but now it sounds like a little tractor, I can hear every pulse engine make when accelarating. where do you think my noise comes from?

joesmoe3

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Wonder if someone would shed light on how the 2015 (and later) door hinges are lubricated ?
I note there are little black plastic covers (amazing they've stayed on for the two years we've had the car) over special head screws (?) at the mid-point of the hinges top and bottom. Do these come out for some special grease gun to add grease, or what ?

We're a little irritated at the dealership that we took the car in for the 20,000 mile service, and it came back with one of the 12V outlets not working and the passenger door squeaking. I know when I was a teenager way back when, working as an "apprentice" at an independent mechanic shop, one of my jobs was no matter for what a customer brought in the car, I checked tire pressure, windshield wipers and fluid, oil level, function of the visors, and lubricated the door hinges. Apparently, at this dealership at least, they just wait for someone to complain -- multiple times.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Wonder if someone would shed light on how the 2015 (and later) door hinges are lubricated ?

I note there are little black plastic covers (amazing they've stayed on for the two years we've had the car) over special head screws (?) at the mid-point of the hinges top and bottom. Do these come out for some special grease gun to add grease, or what ? ... snip.... .
Speaking only for my 2015 Golf.

Great 3 (?) complete stop points on my door

WE HAVE A TIGHT GARAGE SPACE. I can get out of my car and set the door at any point, and it does not move. No bumping my wife's RAV4 --- :)

CruisingWagon

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI S
Anyone ever have trouble getting the fuel door to release? My spring mechanism won't work. Any way to manually release it so I can fuel up before heading to the dealer?

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Anyone ever have trouble getting the fuel door to release? My spring mechanism won't work. Any way to manually release it so I can fuel up before heading to the dealer?
This might be obvious and something you already tried, but just in case you haven't... If you lock the doors, the fuel door will not release. If you unlock the doors, the fuel door will release. That or you could have a bad release mechanism

CruisingWagon

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI S
This might be obvious and something you already tried, but just in case you haven't... If you lock the doors, the fuel door will not release. If you unlock the doors, the fuel door will release. That or you could have a bad release mechanism

Nope. Tried that already. Thanks for the response though.

Ronner

TDI
New 2015 Golf TDI dsg
Anyone else have their headlight switch break?
Mine will not turn off of the "fog light" setting.
Fog lights are not on and full headlight system is always on
(when the car is running.)

If I leave the key in the ignition after I shut off the car the parking lights stay on.
Sorta afraid to take it in, in case they ding me a couple hun. for a new switch.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Anyone else have their headlight switch break?
Mine will not turn off of the "fog light" setting.
Fog lights are not on and full headlight system is always on
(when the car is running.)

If I leave the key in the ignition after I shut off the car the parking lights stay on.
Sorta afraid to take it in, in case they ding me a couple hun. for a new switch.
You should be able to find a new switch online, try ECS tuning. They are easy to swap out. Different varieties, depending on the lighting options on your car, varying from about $60-130.

Ronner

TDI
New 2015 Golf TDI dsg
You should be able to find a new switch online, try ECS tuning. They are easy to swap out. Different varieties, depending on the lighting options on your car, varying from about $60-130.
Thank-you PlaneCrazy, I'll have a look.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
And you've been around here since 2000?
Yes, but don’t often buy parts, or at least haven’t in 10 years except for HID R-replica lights from BEC Auto Parts. The last time I did buy was from ECS for my 2007 Passat wagon I owned at the time. So I had them in my memory. The other possibilities simply didn’t enter my mind when I quickly replied.

No need to make a federal case over it ;)

Ronner

TDI
New 2015 Golf TDI dsg
Pfaff warrantied it for me. Happy Camper. Top notch service. imho.