Will these snow tires/wheels fit on my '06?

TeaDeeEye

TDI
2006 TDI
I'm looking to buy some used snow tires and wheels off craiglist.

Do you guys think these tires and wheels would fit well on my car and allow chains if they're necessary? This is the ad:

"I am selling my studless winter tires. They are Nokian Hakkapeliitta Q 205/65 r15 94Q on black steel rims with a 55mm offset (works for '93-'03) and 5/112 bolt pattern (works for '92+). They have been used for 1.5 seasons and are in good condition. They were used on a VW Eurovan, but they don't fit my new car.
They should also work for Audi A4, A6, A8, S4, and '98+ Passats."

Thanks!

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Part of what the add says is true, part is not, but they should be fine or your 2006 ???? (Jetta, Passat, New Beetle). The A4 Jetta up until 2004 used a 15", 5X100 bolt pattern. Somewhere in 2005 the Jettas switched to a 5X112 bolt pattern (still 15"). I believe most of the Passats are a 5X112 bolt pattern. Not sure about the rest (Rabbits, Golfs, New Beetles). My 04 came stock with a 195/65/R15 tire, not sure if this was still stock on the 06's. If you read up on snow tires (tirerack.com has some good info on them), they do say that a narrower snow tire will perform better than a wider one (less surface area to act as a sled), but there isn't much difference between a 195 width tire and a 205 so for the right price I would probably buy them. I just bought a set of Michelin X Ice Snow tires from tirerack.com mounted and balanced on a fairly nice set of alloy rims (this included mounting and balancing); delivered they cost $750. A set of steel rims new will run $200, a lot of places will charge about $20/tire to mount and balance. Nokian snow tires are definitely one of the best snow tires made (My daughter and I have Nokian Hakapeillita II's on our cars, they are great in the snow).

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
I think you are okay on the bolt pattern, but the 55mm offset might be an issue. They may stick out too far and inhibit turning or rub the body.

There are lots of VW & Audi wheels with an offset range between 35-45 that will work. 40-45 would be ideal.

-Mike

Almagne

TDI
2015 Gray Jetta. 2014 Black Jetta. 2006.5 Gray Jetta--retired.
Driver_found said:
I think you are okay on the bolt pattern, but the 55mm offset might be an issue. They may stick out too far and inhibit turning or rub the body.
In addition there will be a small, but not negligible difference in diameter. The speedo and odo will be off, and there may also be additional problems with turning.

Tire sizes can be compared here:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Almagne

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 160k - original cam, clutch
find out what they were on. If it was an A4 (pre -05.5), they won't.

If they are off of a passat, they should.