www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old Yesterday, 09:48   #1
Mydub1011

Default 2003 VW Jetta TDI 1.9 L. Hard starts

Good day all
This is my first post so if I dont do this right, my apologies. My VW has really hard starts when it has sat for awhile/ overnight. This occurs even in the summer months. Obviously worse in the colder months. I had my car checked/scanned by a mechanic. All checks came back good. It has a strong turn over, but hard time igniting/starting.
Any suggestions would be amazing. I went down the YouTube hole and I found one that said it could be a bad EO6 relay.

Jason
Mydub1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:58   #2
miningman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Defective / Leaking Tee at the top of the fuel filter would be my first guess.
miningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:20   #3
Mydub1011

That's the the thing that pops into top of fuel filter that has two hoses on each end?
Mydub1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03   #4
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

Do you have auto or manual trans?
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:32   #5
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

miningman's suggestion is a good one, particularly if multiple starts after running are without delay. The connections to the thermo-t can leak air, as well as can the part that inserts into the fuel filter. Some people have tried a coating of petroleum jelly around the sides - where the 2 o-rings are. Careful with the 2 hose connections - the barbs are plastic and will break if you're not careful. I've done over these and the other hose connections at the fuel filter with screw-type clamps and it helped reduce air bubbles in the intake hose to near zero. Not losing prime really helps startup. Other places for air ingress are in the fuel return lines from the injectors to the pump.

Additional points to check are whether the cam, crank, and injection pump are exactly in time statically. That is, if you line up the crank to TDC, do the cam lock and injection pump lock tools slide into place without moving anything?

These are simple yet effective things to check prior to adopting the throw-parts-until-fixed mode of auto repair. A lot cheaper as well.

Good luck and cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote