05 passat tdi egr removal

cajunspice

Veteran Member
TDI
(3) 05 passat TDI,07 dodge 1 ton cummins, 1956 2 dr sedan sbc 383
Just wanted some opinions removing the EGR from my 2005 Passat.

cajunspice

Veteran Member
TDI
(3) 05 passat TDI,07 dodge 1 ton cummins, 1956 2 dr sedan sbc 383
Thanks for the input just didn't know what the options were.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
EGR concerns are NOT a concern with the 2004/2005 Passat TDI with BHW motor. A different animal than the 1.9 motor.

Just carefully unplug the wiring and carefully remove the (three) allen head bolts and remove it for a good clean up about once a year or every 20,000 miles and you are good to go.

Easy to clean with some carb cleaner and 20 minutes of time.

Gotta get back to my Gator hunting show on history channel
(Swamp People).

Thanks
Deming

rw3iss

TDI
2005 Volkswagen Passat TDI 2.0L BHW
Though outdated, I just want to add that my EGR cooler has failed twice now, within about 1 year of the previous failure. Original repair cost me $850 at dealership, this one is quoted at $1400 for same repair (different dealership). The car is a 2005 Passat TDI / 2.0L / BHW (as mentioned above).

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Though outdated, I just want to add that my EGR cooler has failed twice now, within about 1 year of the previous failure. Original repair cost me $850 at dealership, this one is quoted at $1400 for same repair (different dealership). The car is a 2005 Passat TDI / 2.0L / BHW (as mentioned above).
Sounds like you're ready for a delete. It's pretty simple: Where the small hose connects just do a 180 with a long enough hose to keep it from kinking and get two blockoff plates for the tube at the top and the one at the bottom. I did get a tune with EGR delete so unless you want a cel, do the same. There may be a way to defeat the cel trip by way of a resistor to trick the ecu, but don't know.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I suspect if your EGR cooler failed twice, that the first replacement perhaps wasn't installed correctly.

I've seen a handful of these fail, but not enough for me to think it a big problem.

rw3iss

TDI
2005 Volkswagen Passat TDI 2.0L BHW
Hey, I wanted to followup. I just solved my leaking EGR problem yesterday by bypassing it. We welded the coolant input and output shut on the EGR cooler, and left the EGR cooler in place so the exhaust flows freely through it, and then connected the input/output coolant hoses together so they just looped (see pictures). I plan to delete it completely (by just removing the EGR cooler, and putting block off plates where it connects to the intake and exhaust, and leaving the coolant lines connected together). Right now a lot of exhaust is circulating back into the engine (without being condensed by the cooler), so I don't think the bypass is a permanent solution, but it doesn't throw the CEL or anything. Once it is delete it I will need to have the car's chip tuned to remove the CEL light.
Please see pictures if you are about to take on this job. It is quite easy if you have a welder to seal the coolent input/output. otherwise you could probably just connect a short hose to loop the EGR cooler's coolant input/output.

Pic1, linked coolant hoses: http://imgur.com/Mw258a3
Pic2, welded shut EGR coolant hose input/output: http://imgur.com/LYtZws0

Hope this can help anytone else.

deckerfl

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon TDI W/ Geared BSM, DUK 5Spd.
I recently replaced a blown turbo and choose to not reinstall my EGR cooler.
My intake had a fair amount of buildup on it. Intake runner in the head had the same buildup. Here's a pic, sorry for the huge size:

Last edited:

deckerfl

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon TDI W/ Geared BSM, DUK 5Spd.
I removed the EGR cooler, and used it as a template to make an aluminum blockoff plate for the intake manifold, and a steel blockoff plate for the exhaust manifold.
For the coolant hoses. I bought two Dorman 47065 Heater Hose packs, which contain 1x 90 degree 7/8" to 7/8" heater hose elbow and 1x 90 degree 7/8" to 1" heater hose elbow. I used two of the 90 degree 7/8" to 1" heater hose elbows together with a piece of 1" heater hose and four screw type hose clamps, to make a 180 degree piece. it worked like a charm.

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Deckerfl, what was the mileage with that clog?

Deckerfl, what was the mileage with that clog?

B4Ugo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat 1Z, 2003 W8 TIP, 2004 GLX 4motion wagon 6spd tdi.
Weld coolant pipes?

I see that a couple of people have welded the coolant pipes on the EGR cooler.

Is this necessary?

If tuning out the EGR (or unplugging the connector) keeps exhaust from flowing through it, why weld it?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I see that a couple of people have welded the coolant pipes on the EGR cooler.

Is this necessary?

If tuning out the EGR (or unplugging the connector) keeps exhaust from flowing through it, why weld it?
Because sometimes the EGR cooler will crack and allow coolant to go into the engine via the EGR valve. Crimping off the coolant lines (or welding/looping etc) prevents this.

B4Ugo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat 1Z, 2003 W8 TIP, 2004 GLX 4motion wagon 6spd tdi.
Because sometimes the EGR cooler will crack and allow coolant to go into the engine via the EGR valve. Crimping off the coolant lines (or welding/looping etc) prevents this.
So I just took the coolant lines off of my cracked cooler and looped them together. There is no longer coolant flowing through the EGR cooler. Also, the EGR valve is disconnected, so no more exhaust flowing through either.

Sorry I wasn't more clear... Is it still necessary to crimp/weld the coolant pipes?
If so, why?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
No, if you have blocked off the egr and connected the pipes to each other, then you are good.

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
Can someone tell me where the non heater core coolant line connects to? Mine ripped by the EGR and I can't locate the other side.

Sam

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
To answer the question, it goes to the coolant flange. Which is actually what broke apart on mine.

Sam