BXE engine failure

Edward011778

TDI
Golf V
Hi!

My 2007 Golf TDI has just put a rod through the block at circa 120,000 miles. Engine is/was a BXE and and this appears to be a rather well-known fault. From what I can work out it looks like there were maybe four other 1.9TDI engine variants fitted to the MK5 Golf. So my question is, which engine code should I source as a replacement, i.e. is there a better option than sticking another BXE in and hoping it doesn't do the same thing?

Sorry if this is a commonly asked question and the info is here already, a quick search hasn't made me much the wiser & I'm not really clued up on VAG stuff of this generation.

Thanks...

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
The lead theory of the BXE failure is of a batch of bad parts used on some engines (main bearings).

The BXE is related to several PD engines such as the BRM and i believe the BLS too

You would need to find out the differences within them to mea$ure what is needed for conversion.

I would get a used bxe replacement and replace.main bearings. Of course being a PD replace the cam and associated hardware.... good luck