Buying a TDI with emissions mods.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
There is a 2 dr Golf on cl. It has had some emissions mods.

From the ad....

Car has been modified from an afe intake with a 3” dowpipe all the way back to a a GTI dual exuahst with 4” tips, stage 2 tune by Malone to turn off the egr and delete the cat.
Should I run away?

Will I have issues with my state's emissions ****s? I live in Connecticut.

My guess is the states will look at all of these reformed cheaters with suspicion.

Also, I am guessing that whatever VW extended warrantees there are, will not apply.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I do not know what local emissions testing you have, but here it would technically fail the visual check, but so long as the readiness is all set, no MIL request is present, it will pass the OBD test just fine.

There will be no warranty, but it has already had a good portion of the items that could cause a warranty claim removed, so there's that.

I would lose the AFE intake and put the stock cold air intake back in place. Everything else is probably just fine.

I service quite a few "deleted" CR cars here, they run great, use less fuel, never ever have an MIL on, and can go 20k miles between services because the oil stays so clean.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
That's a good answer from oilhammer. You need to check what your state and/or local laws request. As much of a nanny state here in PA, diesel cars are emissions exempt. I'm still honestly surprised this is the case and that it hasn't changed as an added income for them. But even still, it may not be needed now, but may be in the future.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think that setup may be a problem in CT. I'd make sure the PO has passed CT inspection with the car in its current form.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Just bought an unmodded '11 Sportwagen 6 speed, so the point is moot.

If anyone is interested in this, it is on cl in Connecticut. Might be ideal for the right person. The owner did say he had the original parts.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Piggybacking on this thread: oilhammer, I assume some of the cars you service are from Illinois? No problems with cat& DPF & EGR delete there?

My DPF&EGR filter has just been replaced under warranty for the 2nd time, so I'm thinking of having this stuff removed after the extended warranty expires.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, some are from Illinois, but some are from here. We have an OBD test here, but if tuned properly they pass that no problem. I even ran one of these Illinois cars through our MO OBD test system just to see.