2007 Golf 2.0 SDI BDK engine knocking

johnbuz

TDI
AFN 110bhp, AWX 130BHP
Hi

Looking for some help, I bought a 2007 golf cheaply with a knocking engine, easy fix i thought!

Done so far:
New Big end shells - old ones where actually OK
Checked mains - all OK
New cam shaft bearings - some wear, not much
New set of cam followers - old looked OK

Engine still knocks, when I reset the PD injectors I noticed that No.1 was widly different to the rest, so I replaced it with a known good, all now roughly set at the same adjuster height.

Engine still knocks, done compression test, all bang on 400 psi. checked cam timing (again) bang on. No errors on ECU.

But still a very pronouced knock (loud) and a fluttering noise on deaccelaration.

Cam shaft looked OK measured across all cams and all the same as each other within a few hundreth of a mm of each other.

At a loss as to what is causing this horrible noise, running on clean diesel BTW.

Fully serviced, new oil, ( correct grade and type) oil filter, and diesel filter

John

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Did you have the injectors serviced?
A leaky injector will leak fuel while the piston is still traveling up towards tdc and when fuel ignites rocks the piston sideways creating a loud knock. I beleieve this is callin nailing. Also because of the leak the piston top can get excessively hot and melt.
If its the case it is very harmful for your engine