Looking for German 1/2 shafts

discountdiver

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
I have a 2005 B5.5 Passat TDI wagon. My mechanic says I need to find German 1/2 shafts. Besides a junk yard, can you buy German 1/2 shafts anywhere?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I'd try cascade german, should be able to import them if they don't have anything floating around. You're better off with used OEM over new offshore due to the bearing quality.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have O Reilley MVP Mexico remans on mine for the last 50k and they have flawless for about 65ea. YMMV

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
The ones i used for my 5 speed conversion came with the 1998 v6 5 speed donor car, looked brand new and were obviously local auto parts purchased. Ive had no issues in over a year. I purchased another v6 5 speed wagon just for the oem axles that i could send to raxles for rebuild but have just sat in my garage. The click that i thought was from my axles was from my tie rod ends and contol arms, ive still got a clunk when cold but im still hunting it down but ive ruled out axles.

A cv axle swap takes less than 45 min per side. A repair i dont mind doing every 4 to 5 years.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Raxles is about $200 per side if you have a core to return, and it seems that's more of a premium rebuild. Raxles doesn't add the core charge on the front end. I'm currently leaning this route myself.

Some of the online VW dealerships (1stVWparts.com and VWpartsVortex.com, just 2 examples only) have OE reman CV axle assemblies for around $160 per side. Don't know the quality of the remans that VAG puts their name on.

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
RAXLE is prob the best you can get if you don't mind spending a little more. I think they have a good warranty too, maybe lifetime?