Mk6 Sportwagen TDI which turbo?

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
From the detail kerma has on the ks3. Kerma builds that turbo for exact drop in. The other one is just a borgwarner turbo. Read that description on the KS3.

Piranhafreak

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I get that sorta but what are the difference between the two. It says the other one “doing so requires the purchase of expensive (and illegal) exhaust components along with "special" engine computer changes.” Ok well I’m doing that anyway so will the other one work for me? Anyone know what’s needed?

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Ask kerma. They are the ones selling them. They will probably give you the best answer. Or maybe PM Owen from Malone.

From my take though it’s a drop in turbo they configure to work with all stock equipment. Other turbo probably needs different down pipe and and what not to work. The borgwarner is probably what you would be looking for since you already have a modded CR.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
I suggest checking out the X-man CR170 hybrid. Good for 220hp.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
I get that sorta but what are the difference between the two. It says the other one “doing so requires the purchase of expensive (and illegal) exhaust components along with "special" engine computer changes.” Ok well I’m doing that anyway so will the other one work for me? Anyone know what’s needed?

The only difference between the Kerma CR170 and the standard CR170, is that Kerma transplants the CR170 turbo into a stock exhaust manifold so the EGR still works.

edatainc

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon, Black on Black
Kerma KS3

As soon as KERMA can get a KS3 ready to ship, I’ll let you know what the dyno produces. Curly at Griffen Motorwerks in Berkeley CA has let them know I’m ready to go.

In CA, an emission modification could cost an installer huge fines or they could end up in jail. No reputable installer wants to go down that road. I have a lot of respect for the Malone folks, but opted away from the forthcoming Malone manifold and GTB1756VK turbo (or other) because the mods would be too noticeable and likely fail a CA smog inspection. CA has put a scare into the smog inspectors for turbo diesels, and they do look under the hood and under the car for modifications.

Because the DPT caps out performance, without deletes there doesn’t seem to be another option. I’m getting 145 HP and 276 ft/lbs at the wheel with the KERMA tune and similar with the Malone Stage 2. I’m hoping for another 20% with the KS3.

Frankly, for the $$, I’m not confident the KSA will knock my socks off, but it should give me more torque at lower RPMs and have a broader range, and its the last step, once you have done a tune, to get more torque/hp out of a daily driver. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a forum discussion on how well the KS3 performs and if it is reliable.

Last edited: