Malone Stage 2 with Delete?

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Just purchased 2013 Q7. Am interested in Malone Stage 2 tuning. Also curious about the delete - any Q5/Q7 owners out there who have had the delete done, and what have you noticed re improved power, driveability, fuel economy etc.?

Thanks,

Tom

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Just purchased 2013 Q7. Am interested in Malone Stage 2 tuning. Also curious about the delete - any Q5/Q7 owners out there who have had the delete done, and what have you noticed re improved power, driveability, fuel economy etc.?
Thanks,
Tom
(Bump)

trae

Veteran Member
TDI

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Try Club Touareg, much more info there on tuned 3.0 TDI's.
Just signed up with them and posted. Hopefully they won't look at the Audi with disdain.

Tom

commedeschatons

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon 5mt, 2016 VW Touareg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, 2011 335d Msport, 2009 Q7 TDI
I got 8MPG better highway MPG after tune and delete.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
I just got my dpf and egr deleted yesterday with a Malone Stage 2+ tune and drove a couple hundred miles home. The power and MPG is SO much better than stock. If you’re considering getting it done have the money to do it, just get it done. You won’t regret it.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got my dpf and egr deleted yesterday with a Malone Stage 2+ tune and drove a couple hundred miles home. The power and MPG is SO much better than stock. If you’re considering getting it done have the money to do it, just get it done. You won’t regret it.
Wow awesome. Time to start saving my spare change.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
You still have the catalytic converter still on the car? Wondering how the smell is around the car. I keep seesawing back and forth to get the full delete.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
You still have the catalytic converter still on the car? Wondering how the smell is around the car. I keep seesawing back and forth to get the full delete.

I emailed Malone as to what parts are removed/deactivated with the delete - here is the response -

"Everything post-turbo but the primary O2, the egr can be removed entirely as well but most people just leave it intact. Some people remove the primary cat as well, but only the dpf needs removed."

Although I can't speak for them my take from this Malone feels removing the cat doesn't have a measurable impact; if it did it'd be part of the standard delete.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
It would have affect smell, power overall is limited based on exhaust temperatures (say racing up a mountain at 100mph). A more free flowing exhaust would result in hitting exhaust temperature limiters later, but the difference is fairly negligible since most of the restriction comes from the dpf and turbo itself. The power reduction is smooth and temporary until temperatures reduce, so without logging you shouldn't feel it, just like factory.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
Huskies,

I went back and forth about the cat as well. I did things a tad backwards and ordered the Rawtek with a high flow cat, had the cat cut out before it was installed (so I have the cat to put in later if I want), and the smell is not bad. While in the car, I can’t smell the exhaust at all. I’ll smell it if I reverse and go through my exhaust with my windows down, or step out of the car after I shut it off. If you remember how school bus exhausts smell, that’s what a completely decatted and deleted tdi smells; like childhood memories ;).

The cat will possibly be put back in further downstream on the exhaust if/when I decide to put the cat back in.

Reason why: when the time comes for a new cat (~150k miles?), I don’t trust any old exhaust shop to unbolt my downpipe from my turbo, remove a cat, change the cat, and bolt it back up without causing any leaks. That will make for a longer job which is more money, and possible hiccups. Placing the cat right at the bottom of my downpipe (when the pipe starts to run parallel to the ground) will make it an easy job for future changes; jack the car up, cut the cat out, replace, weld, and done- quick and easy. No need to touch the turbo. There are probably easier ways but this seemed cost effective for me and issue-free cat changes. To be honest, so far, I have no want to put the cat in yet. It just sits in my garage in case the time comes ;)

Happy modding, cheers.

Deeds

Last edited: