ERROR Adblue bottle and wrench.

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
While on the way home from trip to see daughter play softball, 200 miles only to have it called due to weather, I heard a chime and looked at mfi to see "ERROR adblue warning 600 miles till no start" or a general approximation of that. I didn't get a real good luck at it as I was carving a pretty hairy right hand curve on I79 south.
For the next 100 miles the top of the mfi alternated every three seconds btwn the normal ( NESW THE TIME and D ) and a yellow picture of an adblue bottle and a wrench.
Well I thought maybe I did indeed need to fill the adblue so being about 150 miles from home I thought no sweat I'll do it when I get home.
Well about 100 miles later same warning, and once again I'm in a hairpin curve, this time on I64 W in Charleston WV in the Lee St bridge curve and didn't get a real good loak at it before it disappeared but did notice error at the top and 500 miles till no restart. Got home and went to service station to fuel up for the next week and bought two 2.5 jugs of adblue. Got home thinking most all would go in but no dice only about a gallon and a half went in. I turned the key on for 30 seconds then went for a 30 mile drive and all seams normal. No warnings and no alternating adblue jug and wrench. What gives? Anyone else run across this? I've read adblue threads till I my eyes are burning but none seam to address the bottle and wrench. It was 47 degrees today.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
H'm. Only time we've had that happen was the second winter since we bought the car. It registered only 200 miles until no start, but turned out to be the rear NOx sensor. Was fixed under warranty. Since you managed to get the warning to go away, yours sounds like something different....

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I'm sure the dealer will be happy to fix what ever it is with all the emissions controversy going on. Would be interested in what they find.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
my 2 cents, failed heater, replace the whole unit!!!! guess they haven't worked out the issues.

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
After thinking about it a while I noticed that both times it happened I was in a hard right turn . Is there a float that keeps track of the level of fluid? Wife has car today and I haven't heard anything out of her... yet. Called stuck in traffic due to wreck on interstate.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
How hard you taking turns? if you were only able to get a gallon or so in the tank, the sensor is on the way out. Even if you were riding on two wheels and the sensor was indicating low you should have been able to get at least 3+ gallons in.

Keep your eye on that warrning and see if it pops back up.

http://www.idparts.com/adblue-heater-repair-kit-p-4910.html

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
How hard you taking turns? if you were only able to get a gallon or so in the tank, the sensor is on the way out. Even if you were riding on two wheels and the sensor was indicating low you should have been able to get at least 3+ gallons in.
Keep your eye on that warrning and see if it pops back up.
http://www.idparts.com/adblue-heater-repair-kit-p-4910.html
I took the turns pretty fast but not on two wheels. Only reason I said that was both times the error popped up I was in to the turn and couldn't really read it clearly. Upon reading the manual it says to take it in to be checked by the dealership because of the wrench under the adblue bottle. Last time I had a wrench show up on a dashboard the transmission blew up in my Ford at 40k.
Wife made 90 mile round trip to work and said nothing reappeared.
I wonder if the last time I filled the adblue I forgot to recalibrate the level sensor, 30 seconds with key on, to reset it? I'f I did and the car thought it hadn't been filled for about 20k would that trip an error?
Either way I'll get it in to the dealership just to make note that it happened. Since there was no MIL, just an error flashing every three seconds, for 150 miles I'm not sure if a code was stored or not.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Did your CEL come on as well? Ever figure out what the problem was? My Adblue+wrench came on just like you described during a road trip last night (not related to turns though), followed by the CEL ~30 minutes later. Continued with both on until I reached a hotel, but concerned about making the 270 miles back home...

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
Twice, after refilling my adblue, I've had the warning come on...FAR too soon.

I merely opened the adblue reservoir, verified the level, and screwed the cap back down. No other warnings appeared.

In my case, I'm wondering if there is a seal which doesn't let the tank breathe, and slows down the feed from the tank...until I break the seal after the level has dropped.

Make sense?

DarkLordDad

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
The adblue heater has been recalled, at least for the ‘14.

I went through a year and a half of hell over this. Had to use obdeleven every single time I needed to turn the car on to reset SCR lockout. Dealerships claimed they couldn’t do anything or figure it out. I finally got a letter in the mail about the def heater recall. Got it fixed and problem persisted. Fought with VW for 9 months, finally got them to take the car in and long story short, the recall DID solve my problem! However during the replacement the pump nozzle within the tank was broken on installation. VWoA had it all replaced and I’m finally back to normal!

Make sure you look into the recall, it should also be covered under diesel extended warranty (120000 miles). I was beyond that by 850 and they honored it anyway.

Hope this helps.