Driver Door Speakers Not Working

CarolinaTDI14

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L TDI BRM
I have an 06 Jetta that I bought used at 122.5k miles roughly and I'm at 130,000 now! Yay! she runs great no issues except that I recently(within last 2,000miles) noticed that my driver side door speaker were not working. I pulled off the door panel, checked all connectors/wires and nothing wrong there.

I checked the wires going between the door and the main body of the car as I have read that these could be issues with wires being pinched and broken there, but again, no issues. I pulled the radio to see if there is any issues with the connectors being dirty or not connected properly but fine there as well.

IM thinking this could be some issue with the wiring somewhere between the head unit and the door speakers. Im not sure if they are getting power?, could they all be shot and need new speakers?(i have the Jetta's with 10 speaker BTW) I am outta options that I know of and wanna see if anyone else is having any issues and how they have fixed em…besides being ripped off by a VW dealer. :D:D

For anyone on here who would find it easier to call or text feel free to hit me up 2zero1-nine53-4511. Thanks all

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
My drivers window went down, wouldn't go up, wires looked ok, but when I pulled on each one, one pulled apart, the insulation was not damaged but the wire was broken inside. I spliced the wire and the window went up.

CarolinaTDI14

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L TDI BRM
My drivers window went down, wouldn't go up, wires looked ok, but when I pulled on each one, one pulled apart, the insulation was not damaged but the wire was broken inside. I spliced the wire and the window went up.
I tried pulling on each wire and felt nothing, the only way I would think to find out if the internal wire is cut is cut every wire open at random spots. My lock button works but the unlock button on the driver door doesn't work, don't know what that issue is either:confused:

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
If you have a speaker that does not work and a button that does not work I would bet your harness is damaged somewhere even if it is not visible. I would replace the harness with the updated one if it were me.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

CarolinaTDI14

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L TDI BRM
If you have a speaker that does not work and a button that does not work I would bet your harness is damaged somewhere even if it is not visible. I would replace the harness with the updated one if it were me.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
You say updated one. I haven't owned my TDI too long so dont know what update VW may have done or recalls etc that could be affecting my 06. If there is a newer one where could I get it besides at the dealer?

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
VW essentially produced too short of a wiring harness on the early MKV cars. Long story short the wires break and various items inside the door stop working

Folks have made repairs but, the true and best fix is to replace the door harness with a revised part.

My friend just did his and as usual, 1stvwparts.com has the best price.

Give them your VIN because there are several parts out there, and they will send you the revised door harness.

As a sidenote, my local (steal)ership tried to sale my friend the early revison 2006 part that would have failed again.

Orth92

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI (164,XXX Miles) 1.9L, Stage 1.5 malone tuned
If you have a ten speaker system you have a factory amp usually under the drivers seat or under the rear deck. The amp could be bad. The button not working is probably just the button since the car does lock and unlock thru a single wire thru data. And is not in anyway connected to the speaker. Also if you have a ten speaker system is it only one speaker in the door or all three that do not work? The speakers are wired together so if the others in the door work then its probably just a bad speaker. If you want to test the speaker take the door panel off and take a 9v battery take two wires and quickly touch the speaker terminal to see if it pops really quick if it pops ur good and its the wiring if not then you got a bad speaker.

Last edited:

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI

mdoaw12i

TDI
2009 JSW/DSG/Black
So this explains why my rear passenger door locks stopped working(fixed under warranty) and my driver power door locks don't work(VW wont fix as warranty is over) however sounds like something that a campaign/recall should be issued over and covered!!

CarolinaTDI14

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L TDI BRM
If you have a ten speaker system you have a factory amp usually under the drivers seat or under the rear deck. The amp could be bad. The button not working is probably just the button since the car does lock and unlock thru a single wire thru data. And is not in anyway connected to the speaker. Also if you have a ten speaker system is it only one speaker in the door or all three that do not work? The speakers are wired together so if the others in the door work then its probably just a bad speaker. If you want to test the speaker take the door panel off and take a 9v battery take two wires and quickly touch the speaker terminal to see if it pops really quick if it pops ur good and its the wiring if not then you got a bad speaker.
All three door speakers are not operating. I will def try the battery trick. The unlock button I'm not worried too much about right now but want my music!

wilcharl..I'll check out that site n order the harness, thanks to evrybody

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
CarolinaTDI ... Great... That should do the trick... Mdoaw: I believe Canada had a full recall/class action suit over the door harness. Everyone I know with an early MKV has had the issue.... Every time it was the harness... The question is do you repair it or replace it.... I would opt for replacing it as the new harness is redesigned so it wont fail agian

CarolinaTDI14

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L TDI BRM
CarolinaTDI ... Great... That should do the trick... Mdoaw: I believe Canada had a full recall/class action suit over the door harness. Everyone I know with an early MKV has had the issue.... Every time it was the harness... The question is do you repair it or replace it.... I would opt for replacing it as the new harness is redesigned so it wont fail agian
Orth92's battery trick worked and the speakers are all good, so its definitely the harness which I will replace when I can. a rough estimate from the stealership was either $145 or $250 depending on when my Jetta was made. so I will def check out that site you gave me for a cheaper replacement

Orth92

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI (164,XXX Miles) 1.9L, Stage 1.5 malone tuned
Awesome glad I could sorta help at least make sure it wasn't your speakers.

oceanrunner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 6M
Orth92's battery trick worked and the speakers are all good, so its definitely the harness which I will replace when I can. a rough estimate from the stealership was either $145 or $250 depending on when my Jetta was made. so I will def check out that site you gave me for a cheaper replacement
I just purchased a new updated harness for my 06 Jetta about two weeks ago and did the install. Got the harness from vwpartsvortex.com for like $80. The part number for my vehichle was 1K5971120AB
There is a good DIY article to help install at myturbodiesel.com here is the link
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/door-wiring-harness-cracked-wire-replacement-mk5-vw/

Last edited:

NH TDI

TDI
2005.5 1.9l BRM
Im having the same problem as the original post. Ive replaced my wiring harness and one bad subwoofer in the driver door. the rest of the door speakers are good. The rest of the speakers in the car are working. I have the 10 speaker system with the amp under the driver seat.
Does anyone know how to test the amp ?