Audi Unveils 44mpg Audi TT 2.0TDI Quattro

Audi TT 2.0 TDI quattro w/170 HP & 258 lb/ft TQ!

• I want one!

Votes: 168 89.8%
  • Forget it!

Votes: 19 10.2%

• Total voters

acktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS Reflex Silver
http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008/02/audi_unveils_40mpg_audi_tt_20t.html

The new Audi TT 2.0 TDI quattro:
Powerful performance with maximum efficiency

Audi is once again setting standards, this time with the new Audi TT and its TDI engine-a model that combines pure sportiness and powerful performance with sensational efficiency. The Audi TT 2.0 TDI Coupe quattro and Audi TT Roadster 2.0 TDI quattro are the first series-production sports cars to feature diesel engines. It’s a compelling union:
The two-liter engine generates dynamic propulsion with 125 kW (170 hp) and 350 Nm (258.15 lb-ft) of torque, yet the TT Coupe and TT Roadster consume an average of only 5.3 liters and 5.5 liters of fuel per 100 km (44.38 mpg and 42.77 mpg) respectively-unparalleled in the sports car segment.
Audi is setting the pace with this synthesis of excellent dynamism and low fuel consumption, as it has done for many years: Since debuting in 1989 the TDI engines from the brand with the four rings have been paving the way for the world’s most successful efficiency technology and acting as trendsetters for the entire automobile industry. Today, these powerful, refined and highly fuel-efficient engines represent a modern, smart take on sportiness. The run of victories achieved by the Audi R10 TDI diesel race car at the Le Mans 24 Hours and in the American Le Mans Series are impressive evidence of the tremendous potential of this technology.
The dynamic diesel engines from Audi exert an exciting impact not just in racing but also in series-production models-and now indeed in a sports car. The TT Coupe quattro with the 2.0 TDI sprints from zero to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in 7.5 seconds and achieves a top speed of 226 km/h (140.43 mph). The Audi TT Roadster, likewise equipped with quattro permanent all-wheel drive, requires only an extra tenth of a second for the standard sprint, and continues up to a top speed of 223 km/h (138.57 mph). Both versions serve as outstanding examples of the success of the Audi efficiency strategy, thanks to their fuel efficiency ratings of 5.5 liters per 100 km (42.77 mpg), a figure that corresponds to CO2 emissions of only 145 grams/km.

Click on above url for the rest of the story.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Audi TT Quatro to get 2.0l TDI!

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/0...th-their-small-sportster-tt-2-0-tdi-that-get/

"For the first time since the car's debut a decade ago Audi has decided to drop a diesel engine into the TT sports car. Audi is even claiming that the TT will be the first series production sports car with a diesel engine, a claim that I can't verify but I can't dispute either. The TT will be equipped with VW's 2.0L turbodiesel four cylinder in 170hp form, the same engine that will be used in the Jetta TDI cup cars this year. Paired up with a six speed manual gearbox and quattro all wheel drive, the coupe will run 0-62mph in a respectable 7.5 sec. The slightly heavier and less aerodynamic convertible will take 7.7 sec to accomplish the same task. The fixed-roof version will be rated at 44.3mpg while the open-top edition will come in at a mere 42.8mpg (both in U.S. gallons). No word yet on when or if we'll get the TT TDI stateside, but it sure would be a fun ride. The Audi press release is after the jump."

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
Also on GreenCarCongress.com: Audi Puts A Diesel in the TT; First Diesel-Equipped Series-Production Sports Cars:
Audi TT 2.0 TDI quattro.

This is the ideal car. Room for dog or baby in the back.
Add a trailer hitch and a utility trailer to replace a pickup.
Even pull a boat. Fun for short trips, good fuel economy for long trips.

I'm not sure how to compare mileage numbers. How does this fuel economy compare to what was claimed for the 2003 AHL Jetta in Europe, for example?

Wonder if you could seat a 3rd adult in the back, sideways?

Edit: I just took a close look at the 2008 TT phots. Hadn't realized the body style had changed: less retro, more sleek aero. Is it starting to look more like some Porshe or even Japanese models, or is that my imagingation? Not sure I like the new look.

On a positive note, this may be the first application of a diesel in a convertable. That must mean the engineers are confident that particulates and smell smell are a thing of the past with this engine. My 2002 TDI is much, much cleaner than old diesels, but still, I shut down the ventilation system and close the windows when backing up through the exhaust from a cold engine.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Wake me up if they ever sell it here. Actually, I'm waiting for a Polo, so wake me up if they ever sell the Polo here and then I'll check my bank account and if it grew remarkably during my slumber, perhaps I will splurge for the TT.

Rexking414

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
Wake me up if they ever sell it here. Actually, I'm waiting for a Polo, so wake me up if they ever sell the Polo here and then I'll check my bank account and if it grew remarkably during my slumber, perhaps I will splurge for the TT.
Blue_Hen_TDI....If you want a Polo or any TDI for that matter, vote in the survey in my sig, we need many thousand votes yet to looks appealing yet! We need to rewrite VW's marketing strategy.;)

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
Rexking414 said:
Blue_Hen_TDI....If you want a Polo or any TDI for that matter, vote in the survey in my sig, we need many thousand votes yet to looks appealing yet! We need to rewrite VW's marketing strategy.;)

your survey link isn't working

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Not coming here for sure. The TT sales have been fairly weak. On the other hand it will probably do very well in Germany. Germans love the TT, it's the most popular sporty car there.

Last edited:

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
pogo said:
On a positive note, this may be the first application of a diesel in a convertable. That must mean the engineers are confident that particulates and smell smell are a thing of the past with this engine. My 2002 TDI is much, much cleaner than old diesels, but still, I shut down the ventilation system and close the windows when backing up through the exhaust from a cold engine.
Wasn't there a Convertable New Beetle TDI available for a very short while??
Still, a good point on exhaust smells and convertables...

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
domboy said:
I believe the Eos is available with diesel in Europe. I'd put that car on my list as well if it had it here.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Rexking414 said:
Done. Quick-n-easy survey btw.:)

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
domboy said:
You're right. Found a 2005 Beetle Cabrio with TDI, and a 2006 Audi Cabrio.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
I don't think we need to worry about getting finances in order to buy one of these.
You could put $20 a month away in a fund, and in 2041 when they finally bring it here, you would have enough $$$ to buy it outright.

Pull a boat with a TT?
No.
Having an engine powerful enough to pull a boat is only 1/3 of the boat pulling equation.

TurboHans

TDI
'82 Caddy TD
Audi TT 2.0 TDI quattro w/170 HP & 258 lb/ft TQ!

accidently posted in this thread - sorry
(deleted)

Last edited:

MR42HH

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 530d
pogo said:
On a positive note, this may be the first application of a diesel in a convertable.
Actually the TT was the only Audi convertible not available with a diesel until now. You can also get pretty much any convertible with a diesel in Europe.
The A4 is available with a 2.0, 2.7 or 3.0 TDI, the A3 has the 1.9 or commonrail 2.0.

Last edited:

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
About the only thing I don't like is the color....red is for Ferraris, yellow for Jaguar (can you say XKE please), silver would be right on :D

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Silver is for Mercedes...

And no thanks, I've got no use for a car that won't hold four adults right now. I'll look at an A6 if that ever happens.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Hey VW/Audi, I hope you guys have done something to ensure no badness can occur with the balance shafts on the 2.0 TDI. If you're reading this, you're intelligent enough to find a thread within TDIClub by yourselves on an issue we're seeing with the 8V 2.0 BHW TDI.

It would be pretty embarassing for you that the pride of the TDI develops into something similar like the Mitsubishi "Silent Shaft" debacle. Need I say more??!!!

"Vaht? Zer ist no problem!" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I think the 204-hp bi-turbo 2.0 TDI would have been better for this TT TDI (TT-D?), but much better would have been to use the R5 TDI (aluminium crankcase, gear-driven drivetrain) updated with a modern 4V cylinder head, common-rail injection, and bi-turbo technology (TT-RSD, anyone? :D).

An Audi purist would have it that a REAL Audi has 5 cylinders, anyway.

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
cptmox said:
Pull a boat with a TT?
No.
Having an engine powerful enough to pull a boat is only 1/3 of the boat pulling equation.
TT brakes must be at least as good as those on my '02 Golf TDI.

And 4 wheel traction control can't hurt either. What's missing?

Only questions I'd have are the coil springs and clearance, but its probably around the same clearance as our TDI's, and a hitch load of 10% of 1000#, even 1500#, shouldn't be too much for the coil springs, should it?

mel72349

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle manual
I was very disappointed to hear VW was not planning to offer a Tigeun TDI AWD w/ manual.

If Audi brings in a TT coup AWD TDI with the 6-speed, I'll trade in our NB TDI in a heartbeat.

As to looks, don't judge by pics-you really need to walk around one to appreciate its presence.