What is your best junk yard find?

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I was happy to find newer interior door grab handles since mine were brittle and were not staying on the door panels anymore. Also, super clean sun visors! Minor stuff to freshen up the interior some. What about you?

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Non tdi related. I found a G60 supercharger that was in mint condition. Another one that put a smile on my face was finding a old Audi phone that plugged into the centre council - Miami Vice style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I found a perfectly intact vnt17 for an ALH, and a BEW with a brand new tandem pump on it. No luck finding 11mm pumps yet...

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Seat heater switches...lol. I haven't been terribly lucky

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
when i was a teen, i had a 1971 buick skylark 4 door, MINT and i always was going to the junkyard to find cool parts like intakes or just to look at cars, back when cool cars were in them.
Well i was 1 mile out there in a yard and i had to #2 so i ducked behind a GMC Jimmy and it had the doors missing. From my now squatting position i saw what looked like a shotgun shell, me being 19yo, thats cool i though, did some digging around, behind the seat.
LOW AND BEHOLD
box of 12 gauge shells, a sidebyside shotty, 2 crack pipes and a bad of what used to be maryjane but rats had made sure it was empty or so it seems.
BEST DAY OF MY YOUTH. i still have the shot gun! btw its a total PILE OF SHVT and thus why it was left behind i guess. mostly rusty but still fires strait.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
11mm IP for $30, we called it a fuel pump (which isn't a lie). Runs great BTW.
Minty black cloth heated seats for $40 (installed in my buddy's car)
Black cup holder center console for $10

Great, now I want to go junk yard hunting again. D4mn you guys...

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
A whole 01 Jetta with broke timing belt, automatic...$400.00 Stuck a battery in and turned on the ignition........152k miles when the cluster come to life!

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
As far as necessities, it has to be the EUH transmission I found to replace the EGR in my 02, which had failed diff bearings that bore out the housing and leaked profusely. The donor car also had a low mileage Valeo VR6/G60 SMF flywheel and clutch kit which I also grabbed, although I didn't use it. All for about $100.

For non necessities, I found a hood, fender, front left and rear left doors to replace the ones that some jackass decided to key the crap out of on my ALH. The replacement parts were mint and in the same color. It came out cheaper to just replace the parts than a re-spray would've been.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
2 11mm IPs for 40 or 50 each, 5 speed O2J diesel trans for 80 bux.

They also called them a fuel pump...complete head with intake and everything bolted to it except the turbo for 78 bux

4 kicker door speakers for 30 bux looked new

BBS RS2 wheels for 150 in descent shape. 3 spoke Cabrio wheel and air bag for 70 bux. Didn't know it wasn't a direct fit for Jetta, had to take a razor to the base and drill some holes for the clock spring but it makes me smile when I drive it.

Still searching for that elusive car stereo honey pot

I miss the u pull it yards in Virginia...they were full of great stuff.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
I pulled a 2.0L 16v short block, with all accessories, from a 91 passat wagen that only had 13383 miles on it. Cost me $168. I installed it im my 83 GLI with a scirocco cylinder head and 50mm intake. I still have the flywheel off of it, which I'll use when I swap to a smf setup on my TDI. I also scored a 2.5" polished stainless steel cat back remus exhaust with a massive oval DTM style tip that actually was part of the muffler. That cost me $21. I installed it on my highly modified 91 GTI g60. Still couldn't hear that exhaust over the twin screw supercharger. So far for the TDI, I found a brand new rain tray for $11 and a full leather interior for $100.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I pulled a 2.0L 16v short block, with all accessories, from a 91 passat wagen that only had 13383 miles on it. Cost me $168. I installed it im my 83 GLI with a scirocco cylinder head and 50mm intake. I still have the flywheel off of it, which I'll use when I swap to a smf setup on my TDI. I also scored a 2.5" polished stainless steel cat back remus exhaust with a massive oval DTM style tip that actually was part of the muffler. That cost me $21. I installed it on my highly modified 91 GTI g60. Still couldn't hear that exhaust over the twin screw supercharger. So far for the TDI, I found a brand new rain tray for $11 and a full leather interior for $100.
Are you the one that grabbed that tan leather interior out of that white jetta at PnP Portland? Haha

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
lkq pick n pull: complete running OM648 swap with trans, wiring harness, and modules from a 2005 w211 CDI, it was on one of their holiday sale days too :D ... also 2005 gli seats, brakes, and six speed swap... brakes are living on my golf now... i did just miss by an hour a 1986 911, guy beat me to it and got the wheels, engine, trans, and some body parts :/

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
A '79 Bus that I BEGGED them to sell me the whole thing, without a title. They did, I swapped tags from a wreck that I had a good title for, removed the stuck on EGR valve linkage (which was causing it to run like the engine was no good... which was why it got "junked" in the first place), made it run perfect, and sold it for quadruple what I paid. :D

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
the trans in my current DD...
I had tried to buy an extremely rusted out BEW wagon with a 120k transmission (which i needed). He had records scanned up to a google drive that showed a new trans purchase. The guy ended up trading it in just hours before I was going to go pick it up... he was apologetic, admitted he thought there was no way i'd buy that POS off him. it also had a vnt17 with 100k on it. The dealer wouldn't sell it to me because it had been labeled as a salvage car.

3 months later I ran into it at the yard and pulled the trans for $130 with core charge. It had been picked over pretty good and the vnt17 would have come home with me also but finding a trans that i knew was "low" miles was my best score.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
I like this topic let me put my input on it as well. I found two 11mm pumps that I paid $24 each, also VNT15 turbo in great condition with exhaust manifold and turbo line for $80 and last one was 5spd transmission for $150. Also a bunch of other little stuff like almost brand new looking leather 5spd shift handle with leather booth with no cracks at all for $2.

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Are you the one that grabbed that tan leather interior out of that white jetta at PnP Portland? Haha
Oh no. I already have a tan interior car, that's almost one too many. I got a light grey interior last labor day weekend when they had their 1/2 off sale. My TDI came with a cloth interior that was destroyed.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I found a clean egg crate style grill for a mk1 Rabbit truck.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
GOD I HATE YOU ALL.

Only kidding, I live in jersey and they don’t have and won’t let you do a pick and pull.
I’m envious.

Congrats on your scores!!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Your not allowed here to go into the yards for “ insurance purposes “.
It sucks, it’s also illegal to pump your own gas here.
It’s a messed up state.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
DG skid plate.

Had it on my son's car for about 4 months before he folded it up when he totaled the car.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your not allowed here to go into the yards for “ insurance purposes “.
It sucks, it’s also illegal to pump your own gas here.
It’s a messed up state.

Shoutout to not having to pump your own gas lol

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
This isn't a TDI find, but i once found this system on a big ol Chevy impala or similar in a pick/part yard.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/11/08/liquid-tire-chain

It was ultra rare and to find it in the south was even a more of a find. I was going to install this on my 1969 Camaro but ended up selling it to another person for about $125 back in the early 80s. That was worth about half a semester of tuition cost back then to put it in perspective. Back then in Texas, a public 4 year college was $4 a credit hour.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Not tdi parts but the junkyard really saved my bacon twice. First was a flex fuel sensor for an s10. 8 bucks at the yard. 800 at the dealer. On the same truck brake proportioning valve 10 bucks. This was a dealer only item also and would have been in the neighborhood of $400 if they could find one.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
this isn't a tdi find, but i once found this system on a big ol chevy impala or similar in a pick/part yard.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/11/08/liquid-tire-chain

it was ultra rare and to find it in the south was even a more of a find. I was going to install this on my 1969 camaro but ended up selling it to another person for about $125 back in the early 80s. That was worth about half a semester of tuition cost back then to put it in perspective. Back then in texas, a public 4 year college was $4 a credit hour.
#that
#is
#amazing
#smh
#wft
#gm ftw

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm curious as to how effective a system like that would be, along with what fluid does it use.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I'm curious as to how effective a system like that would be, along with what fluid does it use.
I vaguely remember watching a show that talked about it and they were surprised at how well it worked for what it was but essentially not very effective, wonder if you could put some track prep in it for some no prep racing, I'd think it'd need time to tack though

And if I recall it was only available for a few years and then it got squashed...also probably causes cancer in California

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk