Hellish coolant leak

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I was seriously drawing some comparisons... and after tooef tooefed his car, I untooefed his car, which he tooefed again, so I gave him a car, which he promptly tooefed. :eek:
Somehow I missed all this goodness! I have to wonder where I was, cuz I was a member since 2002...lol

Steve

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Oh, man, forgot all about that...

"FIVE BRAKE LIGHT MOD!!!"

LMAO!!! :D

Totally forgot I did the clutch, too, that was wiped out. That thread was a great read.

bhtooefr: "Hey, I'm gonna try and drive this 1980s car I found for next to nothing, and my budget is $12 and a pile of Apple II parts"

Chris_98_TDI: "Hold my beer...."

:)

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I tried finding it after I posted that. Sadly, the link to his musical experiment is no longer valid so we can no longer torture the uninitiated.

Also, LOL:

bhtooefr: "Hey, I'm gonna try and drive this 1980s car I found for next to nothing, and my budget is $12 and a pile of Apple II parts"

Chris_98_TDI: "Hold my beer...."

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
LMAO. I listened it the whole thing again ... brilliant. :D

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
The only way your car would have had a hose without the sensor port is if you didn't have AC and I can tell by the placement of your alternator that you have AC. Very few Mk3 cars came to the US without AC but there were a few.
My car is one of the few that came to the US without AC (summers are a royal pain in the butt!! I’ve looked into adding AC.). I know this because the local VW dealer parts department guy looked up the original vehicle configuration by the VIN number and it was a super base model no AC, no power windows, no sunroof. The only comfort feature it has is the air powered central locking.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Good news today, the radiator leaks are fixed, so the engine cooling system is back to 100% operational. Happy to have a properly cool running engine again. Now to wash the engine bay refill the oil and find the source of what’s sprays 3 quarts of oil, all over the engine bay.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Good news today, the radiator leaks are fixed, so the engine cooling system is back to 100% operational. Happy to have a properly cool running engine again. Now to wash the engine bay refill the oil and find the source of what’s sprays 3 quarts of oil all over the engine bay.
I smell another thread. :rolleyes:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
It's pretty assaulting to the ears and brain. :p
Yes, it is! I forced myself to listen to the whole thing, it just gets worse and worse.

If you were the creator of that novelty song wouldn't you make sure that it, and all copies, were deleted? I certainly would...

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
My car is one of the few that came to the US without AC (summers are a royal pain in the butt!! I’ve looked into adding AC.). I know this because the local VW dealer parts department guy looked up the original vehicle configuration by the VIN number and it was a super base model no AC, no power windows, no sunroof. The only comfort feature it has is the air powered central locking.
I see now that you don't have AC. The lines aren't present at the back passenger strut tower. That's very strange that a car in the US was sold without AC, even in the northern part of the country. It was a $700+ option but as you said it's one of the few out there.

You can ignore my comment about the incorrect upper radiator hose, since you don't have AC it doesn't apply, my error.

In 1997 when the Jetta TDI first started coming to the US I believe that they were all base cars, the TDI = GL models in trim and equipment. You could still order some options (AC, sunroof, premium radio, metallic paint) but not power windows or some of the standard features on GLX. In 1998 I think the TDI could be had with GLS trim level features which meant that you could get all the typical options like PW, 60/40 rear seat etc.

Oddly enough VW says in 1997 the Jetta GL / TDI / GT were not available with cruise, which we know to be rubbish.

Steve

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
The car has been driving fine for the past 4 weeks.
Suddenly today it’s NO CRANK, NO START.
I begin troubleshooting.
1. Engine computer is powering on and communicates via elm327 Bluetooth dongle with obd2 phone app.
2. When key start is engaged, 9 amps of current flows thru the starter solenoid, and it doesnt’t crank.
What is likely to be the cause of this no crank??