Car feels sluggish after timing belt change

MK4oilburner

TDI
1999 MK4 Golf 2 door O2J
Hey guys, so I’m having an issue with my 2011 golf tdi... Wondering if anyone else has experienced the same or similar thing? It’s driving me a bit nuts!

I’ve become quite in tune with my golf over the past few years and I couldn’t help but notice it feels noticeably sluggish or lazy ever since I replaced my timing belt:/ I did the job myself as I’ve done all the maintenence on my car since ownership, used all new VW geniune parts/tools, double and triple checked timing and tensioner position.

Before I did the timing belt, and ever since i’ve had the malone stage 2, when I’d get on it the torque would hit hard down low it would pull hard and rev out to 4500rpm no problem. Now it feels like it has no bottom end torque, power is flat, and it struggles to rev out. Fuel mileage is down quite a but as well.

I’d really appreciate any help on the matter as the car just doesn’t perform like I’ve come to enjoy.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
double check your boost hose under the car. I pulled mine off to do the timing belt. Maybe it didn't clip all the way on and now leaking. only thing I can think of.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Both the timing belts Ive done have gone swell, no change in performance.. boost hose would sure explain it, did you check the timing after a couple revolutions? make sure the pins slipped back in?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I had a Passsat tdi that had hard to find power loss fhat turned out to be a pressure leak in a rubber hose from intercooler to intake. It would also smoke under load, but it was pre "clean diesel" or pre dpf.

I would however double check your cam timing for being off a tooth

volkswheels

Vendor
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 GolfHighline TDI DSG
Check your cam timing with VCDS ? AKA “Kw”...should be at least +1.0Kw to 2.5Kw...think it’s #051 in data on VCDS