What kind MPGs are you seeing?

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Just hit 60.9mpg, avg speed was 65mph over a 77 miles commute. Not sure how to upload a photo to prove this but figured we could get the conversation going in the meantime.

2015 GSW 44k with the DSG, morning South Florida commute. No drafting. Stock tune and 'fixed'

Yes - fully aware this number is more like 55mpg and not the 60.9 shown by the car. Yes- also understand it's one drive. Planning to fill up and see what my app shows, likely 50ish for this tank, given I don't sit in traffic on the way home.

Anyone finding surprising numbers?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Come back when you have at least 3 full tank averages. Then tell us what the number is hand calculated and not what the car reports. One 77 mile trip means absolutely nothing, especially when it is what the car reports. Better yet start posting to a Fuelly account and put the link in your signature, then everyone can see what you are getting. I would be surprised it any of your numbers are anywhere close to correct. No real need for a new thread on this either as there are already ones here to post in for this kind of thing.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Agreed with the post above, I had a 177 mile average of 51.6 hand calculated, but my car “lifetime” of me owning it average since mid January has been 37.8 according to Fuelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Come back when you have at least 3 full tank averages. Then tell us what the number is hand calculated and not what the car reports. One 77 mile trip means absolutely nothing, especially when it is what the car reports. Better yet start posting to a Fuelly account and put the link in your signature, then everyone can see what you are getting. I would be surprised it any of your numbers are anywhere close to correct. No real need for a new thread on this either as there are already ones here to post in for this kind of thing.

What real world number do you expect to see.?I don't understand why one 77 miles trip is dismissed as nothing. I've been logging and have already stated I understand that it's far different when logged in an app than what the car shows. But I'm hoping to gain insight on what others are seeing, if there is a rise in what the car computes there will be a rise in app finds as well.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
With these diesels, a 77 mile trip counts as hardly anything. Was it in regen? Was it out of regen? Was it up hill or downhill? On my way to work it’s a good amount of downhill, 25 miles of single lane highway. I average near 70mpg according to the computer each time. So such short distances mean hardly anything. A full tank average is the lowest miles that most see as a legit number.

Same goes for any other vehicle too. A longer distance gives a much better average. Large sample size means a more accurate number.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What you are doing sets unreal expectations for other newbies who come here and read this. Almost anyone can do things to fudge the numbers with a short drive as you mentioned. Harder to do over tens of thousands of miles as many who have posted on Fuelly show. If you want to know what kind of mileage to expect, look to Fuelly.

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
With these diesels, a 77 mile trip counts as hardly anything. Was it in regen? Was it out of regen? Was it up hill or downhill? On my way to work it’s a good amount of downhill, 25 miles of single lane highway. I average near 70mpg according to the computer each time. So such short distances mean hardly anything. A full tank average is the lowest miles that most see as a legit number.

Same goes for any other vehicle too. A longer distance gives a much better average. Large sample size means a more accurate number.

In my opening post, it says south florida commute. No true elevation change to account for.

Clearly the car was not in regen. If you could elaborate your theory as to why regen would increase mpg I would appreciate that. I am willing to learn but only if your able to support your comments.

My thread was intended to not excite other newbies, I've logged 12k miles on the same route, driving the same way, and have noticed a recent spike my mpgs with no change in my routine. Everyone thus far has jumped to the conclusions and passed the blame for the cars computer poorly displaying true mpg to post like these. I even noted that I am fully aware of the high readings and would be refering back to my app. I'm not looking to improve my readings but want to see if anyone else has noticed a spike in the last 6 weeks with higher readings.

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
What you are doing sets unreal expectations for other newbies who come here and read this. Almost anyone can do things to fudge the numbers with a short drive as you mentioned. Harder to do over tens of thousands of miles as many who have posted on Fuelly show. If you want to know what kind of mileage to expect, look to Fuelly.

The pot calling the kettle black, are you logging your miles and fill ups? I'm now, see my signature; do I receive more credibility now because I'm logging??

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
All due respect, a 77 mile trip one time measured on the MFI isn't much of an indicator of anything. But your average in Fuelly is impressive. Mine in my '15 GSW since new (12,571 miles and no, I don't drive it much) is 42.4. And mine's a manual. Of course it's also tuned, has been since 800 miles. So there's that.

I find that winter takes a bigger hit on FE in the newer cars than the older ones. Short trips, too. I get 46-50 MPG in my '02 like clockwork, summer and winter, no matter how I drive it. More variation with the '15. But I keep telling myself it's not broken in yet.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The pot calling the kettle black, are you logging your miles and fill ups? I'm now, see my signature; do I receive more credibility now because I'm logging??

I am not claiming anything, you are. I do log mine there just not displaying it. You do get more cred, but you are no where near your claims. 48mpg is excellent but no where near 55mpg or 60mpg.

Last edited:

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I am not claiming anything, you are. I do log mine there just not displaying it. You do get more cred, but you are no where near your claims. 48mpg is excellent but no where near 55mpg or 60mpg.

I never claimed 55 or 60 for my overall average. The trip of 77 miles shows 60.9mpg, I said that is likely closer to 55, which I would venture to be pretty close to realistic.

Reading the thread and understanding the thread would eliminate the hassle of editing your posts. I see your a long time member and understand how you could interpret my post as hype over my rookie lusty numbers. I'm looking for causes besides, tail winds and down hill runs for a major jump in mileages. I drove the car home and instantly hit a regen which leads me to believe that is could be a possible function in the OEM tune to compensate for the loss in FE during Regen.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You never had a jump in mileage. All you had was a short trip that was an anomaly to full tank averages as shown by your fuelly numbers vs your short trip. It has been pointed out to you by others as well that your short trip really has no meaning. I only average about 38mpg currently over two years worth of fuelly recording. But I could go out and drive my car for a short distance and show pretty much what you did in your short trip. It would also be meaningless.

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
You never had a jump in mileage. All you had was a short trip that was an anomaly to full tank averages as shown by your fuelly numbers vs your short trip. It has been pointed out to you by others as well that your short trip really has no meaning. I only average about 38mpg currently over two years worth of fuelly recording. But I could go out and drive my car for a short distance and show pretty much what you did in your short trip. It would also be meaningless.
I understand your point and acknowledge it. My gripe with your theory is if I take the same exact route every single day and know what my normal number and I as the driver haven't done anything out of the normal routine and then see a difference in what the car has calculated (whether is wrong right or worthless) something has triggered the change. That same change over time if it truly is a higher FE reading will alter what you get in fuelly.

Had I got 40.9mpg from the car, I would've posted asking why I see a difference with no reasonable explanation. I

At what point does the jump in readings lead to answers in my last comment/post?

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
This means absolutely nothing unless you have calibrated the MFD reading using VCDS to correct it with hand calculated values.

Yes, thank you. The point of posting it was to ensure my "claims" were supported. I have acknowledged that the number is inflated and I've also linked my fuelly. My question remains; how can I drive the same route 5 days a week, do nothing different and have consistent weather but see the car getting higher and higher "worthless" numbers.

I get time will tell with fuelly, I'm looking for insight from other '15 TDI owners but majority of the response is that I can't look at my info center at all or post about a new thing I've noticed with the car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
All the back and forth about accuracy of the car's reading aside, you make a good point. This reminds me of dyno numbers: It's not the number that matters so much as whether or not it's different from the last one. Same here.

I'd suggest you watch and see if this was some one-off anomaly, or a if a trend develops. Tail wind, favorable temperature and humidity, cooperative traffic...those and other factors can combine to provide a high number. If it repeats a few times, or, as you mention, it shows in improved full tank FE, then you've got something to talk about. And I'd say the same thing if you'd gotten 40 MPG instead of 60.

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
All the back and forth about accuracy of the car's reading aside, you make a good point. This reminds me of dyno numbers: It's not the number that matters so much as whether or not it's different from the last one. Same here.

I'd suggest you watch and see if this was some one-off anomaly, or a if a trend develops. Tail wind, favorable temperature and humidity, cooperative traffic...those and other factors can combine to provide a high number. If it repeats a few times, or, as you mention, it shows in improved full tank FE, then you've got something to talk about. And I'd say the same thing if you'd gotten 40 MPG instead of 60.
Thank you. Totally agree. Has there been any discussion about what the car does to prepare for a regen? I've read a few threads here and there but seems to remain unclear.

I also think the blend, like you mentioned earlier plays into FE. I don't have a clue if south FL receives winter blends but I'm betting they don't as majority of fuel enters the state or at least the southern part of the state via barge (Port Everglades). And what comes into the state remains in the state, no need for winter blends when the low is 45F, but refinement likely takes place in a refinery where winter blends are produced for the rest of the country.

Hoping we move on and have some productive comments about the theories for spikes on routine commutes. But likely won't happen as the thread purpose has been buried by pre-mature MFU worth comments.

Maybe next time.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Your question was posed incorrectly and should have read why the difference between readings when doing the same trip. Your initial post was phrased as you got exceptionally high mileage. Post 19 explains this better.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
What real world number do you expect to see.?I don't understand why one 77 miles trip is dismissed as nothing. I've been logging and have already stated I understand that it's far different when logged in an app than what the car shows. But I'm hoping to gain insight on what others are seeing, if there is a rise in what the car computes there will be a rise in app finds as well.
Based on the instantaneous FE shown in the display on the dash, I get more than 60-80 mpg for about 5 miles on the way to work due to road conditions... slight downhill. Instantaneous FE estimate on the dash... cool. I get 25-35 mpg going the other way. Oh:eek:

Drive your 77 mile trip in the other direction. What FE do you get? These cars have limitations.

So what is the reality? Well, reality is AVERAGE mpg over time. You post/record number of miles at fillup, and number of miles driven. Then you do it again next time you fill up. Post this record, and I will believe it.

Follow the Fuelly link at bottom of my post. What you see is that the MPG shown on the dash is not your mpg. Not even the average (unless it is oddly accurate-they generally are not accurate). Even if you drove on perfect level pavement for 500 miles, the instantaneous FE shown on the dash may not be accurate. It is just a warning when you are pushing too hard, and friendly news when you are not pushing hard, or losing altitude! One must be realistic.

Last edited:

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Based on the instantaneous FE shown in the display on the dash, I get more than 60-80 mpg for about 5 miles on the way to work due to road conditions... slight downhill. Instantaneous FE estimate on the dash... cool. I get 25-35 mpg going the other way. Oh:eek:

Drive your 77 mile trip in the other direction. What FE do you get? These cars have limitations.

So what is the reality? Well, reality is AVERAGE mpg over time. You post/record number of miles at fillup, and number of miles driven. Then you do it again next time you fill up. Post this record, and I will believe it.

Follow the Fuelly link at bottom of my post. What you see is that the MPG shown on the dash is not your mpg. Not even the average (unless it is oddly accurate-they generally are not accurate). Even if you drove on perfect level pavement for 500 miles, the instantaneous FE shown on the dash may not be accurate. It is just a warning when you are pushing too hard, and friendly news when you are not pushing hard, or losing altitude! One must be realistic.
Sure, I understand. Same route is consistent, the point of my post was to determine why I randomly see spikes in FE displayed by the car and as I linked later in the post.

Like I've covered, I'm doing the same route and basically the same driving styles with consistent weather. When there is a spike of 5mpg or so, it's indicator of change somewhere.

Look at my fuelly and my opening post. I am 100% aware the car displays a 'worthless' number, but as I'm learning by majority of the comments members are dismissing those numbers and not looking at it as a indication.

12k miles over the same route 5 days a week, I know the normal number. When you see a spike or dip, I'm going to question it. It's south Florida, flat as can be. Traffic congestion plays more into FE, not sitting in traffic but nearly bumper to bumper traffic at highway speeds.

This is just like the prolonger cranking on cold start ups, just because the car eventually starts ups and runs, doesn't mean it's right.

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Just to stir the pot on this since the thread remains in place. Same route as the starting post but with rain today 64mph over the 77mph, car shows 61.1mpg.

YES- totally understand it's a inflated number. Likely to see a 50mpg hand calculated tank if the commute traffic and weather remains the same.

Anyone able to provide insight on the topic of winter blends and south Florida? Like mentioned before, this could be a cause to the spike in mileage.

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
Just hit 60.9mpg, avg speed was 65mph over a 77 miles commute. Not sure how to upload a photo to prove this but figured we could get the conversation going in the meantime.
2015 GSW 44k with the DSG, morning South Florida commute. No drafting. Stock tune and 'fixed'
Yes - fully aware this number is more like 55mpg and not the 60.9 shown by the car. Yes- also understand it's one drive. Planning to fill up and see what my app shows, likely 50ish for this tank, given I don't sit in traffic on the way home.
Anyone finding surprising numbers?
Do you have phase 2 emissions completed? My wifes golf sportwagen saw a slight decrease in fuel economy after. My 2014 jetta manual had both phases done at the time of purchase, but mine is tuned so not a good example. I havent had to calibrate my MFD yet, and its typically 1mpg higher than hand calc. I suspect this number might be off more with a higher hand calc value, but ive never been able to take the car all highway for a tank yet to see. My commute every day is less than ideal as the car probably doesnt warm up fully (8 miles), but i've been able to average 43mpg tracked over 7k miles on fuelly...even through the winter.

Last edited:

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Do you have phase 2 emissions completed? My wifes golf sportwagen saw a slight decrease in fuel economy after. My 2014 jetta manual had both phases done at the time of purchase, but mine is tuned so not a good example. I havent had to calibrate my MFD yet, and its typically 1mpg higher than hand calc. I suspect this number might be off more with a higher hand calc value, but ive never been able to take the car all highway for a tank yet to see. My commute every day is less than ideal as the car probably doesnt warm up fully (8 miles), but i've been able to average 43mpg tracked over 7k miles on fuelly...even through the winter.

Yes car is fully fixed. I haven't dove into calibration of the MFD as I've been using fuelly for my hand calculated mpgs and using the car numbers as a indicatior.

Wow 8 miles is a short drive, I'm at 77ish one way. I'm sure you'd see better numbers if the car was actually able to get to temp and fully warmed up.

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
Yes car is fully fixed. I haven't dove into calibration of the MFD as I've been using fuelly for my hand calculated mpgs and using the car numbers as a indicatior.
Wow 8 miles is a short drive, I'm at 77ish one way. I'm sure you'd see better numbers if the car was actually able to get to temp and fully warmed up.
Yep it could be worse but the GDE tune is doing exactly what was promised!

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
stock 2015 Golf TDI 6 spd....

last tank 5.4L/100km pen on paper calculation... previous half dozen tanks have been about the same as well... I think the stations should be transitioning to summer diesel soon....

80% plus rural driving at 90-110kph with a couple stopsigns.... 20% semi urban driving as my daughter is learning to drive on it...

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Since phase 2 (done this past December), my GSW is less predictable. I have a long, 120mi roundtrip commute three times a week with positive overall gradient on the way to work.

So, before phase 2, I usually got better mileage (50+ pump measured) on my way home. And 48+ on my way to work. Of course, cold winter days, or windy days, or rainy days decreased these numbers by 3-5mpg.

Now it happens pretty often that I get 49-50 on my way to work, and 47-49 on my way back (even though I once in a while still see a 51-52). I don't know if my habits have changed or whatnot, but something is different. Maybe I'm hitting regens on the way back much more often than before phase 2.