Leaking brake: new caliper, or something less?

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta sedan, "stick," with in-dash 6-CD changer, Sat., & AUX jack in glovebox that I'm no longer trying to figure out how to use, thanks to slamhouse! :-)))
Howdy, folks! Left rear brake is dripping: photo at http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=130755&title=brake-leak-location&cat=all (yes, I know the view isn't very good, esp. for trying to determine if the caliper is the source of the link, but it's the best I could do without raising the car, which is a p.i.t.a.).

A rough, quick look by someone else (knowledgeable, but in a rush) said I might need a new caliper, but my look-see (less knowledgeable, but less rushed) makes me think all it might need is a bolt tightened (which I tried to do, but I had no way to keep the cable from compensating for the applied torque) or a seal/gasket replaced. Please take a look at the photo and let me know what you think. Thanks!

P.S.: after a week of hoping it was a processing delay, and today trying to upload a new video, I infer that the photo album portion of the site doesn't support video, despite implying otherwise--it would be nice if this were clarified on the photo upload portion of the site. Thanks again!

Last edited:

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
sorry,

that pic you linked to was useless...

however, on my mkv jetta, I had a leaky caliper, it was around the parking brake mechanism... there were no rebuilt parts for this seal, I ended up getting a new TRW caliper vs a reman one.

99_TDI

TDI
1999 mk4 ALH & 2005.5 mk5 BRM
Simply remove the wheel, clean the brake fluid off with brake clean, and have someone pump the brakes while you watch. You’ll find the leak real quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk