AFS error code

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Got AFS error code recently on 2015 golf SEL, lighs were stuck in down position, error would not clear with VCDS. Scan shows rear left sensor short, i took it off, cleaned it up, moved around, still error. After messing around with different coding and basic settings ( lights range 55) I was able to get them come up, but the error is there. I am not able to perform Basic Settings procedure because I get error all the time. Now after the lights moved up there is a second error about missing calibration/ basic settings. Is the sensor shot here or there might be something else that im missing? anyone have any insight or any experience with this? thanks

Last edited:

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
You’ve gotta get that sensor reading correctly, after that resetting the basic settings is easy but idk now that you’ve changed the coding what will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
You’ve gotta get that sensor reading correctly, after that resetting the basic settings is easy but idk now that you’ve changed the coding what will happen.

i didnt really change coding, its pretty much where it was except i removed NAR restriction. I did try I think it was byte 4 or 5 " adjusting lights by CAN and not the sensor" to see if it does anything, but I put it back where it was. At least this " messing around" made the lights come up to normal level, before they were stuck pointed down. I did order the new sensor though.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
Removing the NAR restriction how you lost your basic settings. This happened to me also, let me see if I can find how to redo the basic settings again.

Last edited:

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
Here it is.

Headlight Adjustment [Select] [55 - Xenon Range] [Basic Settings - 04] Select Basic headlamp setting from the drop-down menu. [Go!] to activate the Basic Setting. The meas. block field will show Running. Click [Stop] Select Acknowledge basic setting [Go!] to activate the Basic Setting. After the result of Finished Correctly appears click [Stop] The adjustment should now be learned. [Done, Go Back] Don't forget to check/clear fault codes afterwards. [Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
Here it is.

Headlight Adjustment [Select] [55 - Xenon Range] [Basic Settings - 04] Select Basic headlamp setting from the drop-down menu. [Go!] to activate the Basic Setting. The meas. block field will show Running. Click [Stop] Select Acknowledge basic setting [Go!] to activate the Basic Setting. After the result of Finished Correctly appears click [Stop] The adjustment should now be learned. [Done, Go Back] Don't forget to check/clear fault codes afterwards. [Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

yeah, I did try this, but like I said as soon as I hit GO to activate BASIC SETTINGS it throws an error, and I think this is due to the faulty sensor. I had to lose the basic settings because the lights would not move, at least now they're pointed straight. Thank you for the help my friend

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
Removing the NAR restriction how you lost your basic settings. This happened to me also, let me see if I can find how to redo the basic settings again.

Do you know what the NAR restriction actually do?

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it increases the number of forward facing lights that can be on at the same time and makes the headlights raise slightly if you’re going fast. I honestly didn’t notice a difference.