Too much oil in DSG?

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
So, a few months ago I performed the DSG service and noticed since then that the shifting from R to D was a little sluggish and when I needed to accelerate, it seems slower to downshift. I've been driving it in sport mode to try and fix some of that. So I decided to pull the first plug and I drained about a 1/3qt or more of fluid out!

So would too much fluid cause these issues? Apparently my measuring device was incorrect as I followed the volume amount as opposed to the "fill till it drains out" method.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
So would too much fluid cause these issues? Apparently my measuring device was incorrect as I followed the volume amount as opposed to the "fill till it drains out" method.
So how much did you put in the first time? 4.5l has always worked fine for me. I never bothered to measure what came out. Just drained and added 4.5l back. No sluggish shifting issues ever.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, it was 4.5l, but I wonder if my measuring funnel did not account for the tube?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yeah, it was 4.5l, but I wonder if my measuring funnel did not account for the tube?
Well, when you were done you should of had .5l left over. Now that you have drained out about 1/3rd qt does your trans shift the way you expect it to?

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
It's still up on jack stands. I will be taking it for a ride shortly.

I'll also look to see what I had leftover.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
So the tyranny is so much smoother now! One big difference is when stopped at a light or any other such thing and begin to transition from stopped to going the tyranny engages so much smoother now! And it shifts smoother!

Like I have a new car now!

I do still have half a at left of fluid too so I can't figure that out. But happy for now!

750HMF

TDI
2015 Passat comfortline TDI
So how does being slightly over full on a dsg transmission cause it to shift "sluggish"?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
So how does being slightly over full on a dsg transmission cause it to shift "sluggish"?
My question too. 1/3 qt does not seem like much of an overfill to me. There is a post somewhere here where the op went to drain the DSG and like 8 liters came out. The previous service was done at a dealership for whatever that is worth and he was really ticked off. But, in his posts, he never stated that the transmission acted sluggishly before and after he put the correct amount in it behaved any smoother. When my dsg fluid was changed I never bothered to measure what came out. Just added 4.5l back in. Never leveled the car out and checked to see if there was any overflow. I have done this with 2 cars and never noticed anything strange. Maybe someone here can explain the slight overfill causing the transmission to behave sluggishly. Or is removing 1/3 qt of fluid and then test driving the car and it shifts smoother just placebo effect of knowing the level is correct now.

Last edited:

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not ruling anything out, but I do not believe it to be a placebo effect. I really had no idea what to expect when I pulled the plug. I considered even having a very small catch can, that may have overflowed in my scenario.

Before, when going from a stop, I really had to ease into the throttle or the rpms would get ahead of the tranny and it was jerk into gear. Now, it's just smooth.

I can't explain it, but I am very happy I took the extra effort to check it.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I'm not ruling anything out, but I do not believe it to be a placebo effect. I really had no idea what to expect when I pulled the plug. I considered even having a very small catch can, that may have overflowed in my scenario.

Before, when going from a stop, I really had to ease into the throttle or the rpms would get ahead of the tranny and it was jerk into gear. Now, it's just smooth.

I can't explain it, but I am very happy I took the extra effort to check it.

I'm not saying what you have experienced is not real it's just that this is the first time I ever read something like this here in the Forums. As I said maybe another member could shed some light on the issue.:)

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
No offense here. I'd love to hear if there is an explanation from someone how knows the DSG well.