Jetta MK6 fix for broken cup holder

craigmccormick

TDI
2014 Jetta TDi
I see a lot of Jettas with broken cup holder. The plastic clips break and the bottom falls out. Today I repaired one and thought I'd share.

Short version;
Loosen the console enough so you can lift it from the rear and access the bottom of the cup holder. I put the broken piece back in place and wrapped duct tape around the outside to join the upper & lower pieces and that seems to hold it quite firmly.

Long version;
Remove two screws inside the bottom of the console storage box.
Pry off the storage tray on the rear of the console and remove 4 screws inside. Disconnect the 12v socket and door lock switch and remove rear piece.
Remove two screws in that same area to remove the arm rest.
Move front seats all the way forward until you see small round covers at the base of the console near the seat belt, remove covers and screws.
Pry up the shifter base and remove 2 screws so you can remove the front storage tray. I didn't have to remove the shifter knob.
Pry off the small cover above the front storage tray and remove 2 screws.
Pry up the base of the e-brake boot from the top and pull it up over the handle (making it inside-out) . I didn't have to remove it.
At this point I was able to lift the console from the back. I had to pull the e-brake up and feed the boot down through the slot. The console came loose from the lower plastic pieces that go up into the foot-well.
At this point I could access the bottom of the cup holder and tape it together.
When putting it back together it was a bit tricky getting the front of the console connected to the footwell pieces but at least you can see inside at that point to get it lined up and make sure the clips engage.

I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures and I'm going from memory so I might have missed something but hopefully this will put you on the right track. This car was a 2014 Highline with DSG so some things might differ from yours.