ISO Reasonably Priced Replacement Key in Chicago

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
So the Audi dealership in Chicago, Fletcher Jones, can't program the refurbished key I got off the internet, for the 2013 Q7 - now we have to buy a new one from them for $243 - yep $243 - and they charge $210 - yep $210 - to program it. That's a total of $453.55 for a stupid key. I have had transmissions changed on cars I used to own for less.

As a member from Canada advised he got a key reprogrammed for $80 Canadian, anyone know of another dealer in the Chicago area who can either sell or program a new key without us having to take out a home equity loan? Right now it hurts to sit down. Any relatively nearby big city that offers a significant discount will also be considered - Milwaukee, Indianapolis, etc. - with what we could save on the key, it would pay for a much - needed road trip. Or if anyone knows how to install an ignition lock that takes $5 Ace Hardware keys, that would be equally welcome.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Tom :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
You try shopping another Dealer?
I did not get one programmed, only inquired as to price. Dealer quoted $80 for programming. They also recommended getting just the Valet key as it is less $$ and with keyless entry you don't need the Keyfob. I don't recall what the key price was as it was several months ago. I will try to go back this week as I need to get this done anyways.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You bought the wrong vehicle if you are complaining about the price of a key.

However, you have TWO different pieces (assuming you have the conventional VAG fob switchblade key). You have the "key", which has the immo transponder chip in it, and the fob, with the buttons. Two parts. The fob part can be programmed easily with VCDS, the immobiliser part of the key cannot.

There are some aftermarket companies (search the phone book) that can do modern cars' keys (lots of them are like this, it is hardly just Volkswagen). There are even some that use a cloning device to match the existing key transponder, not sure how well those work, and some of those are dependent on a battery in the key to stay working, not like the original which does not care. Again, this is a separate part from the fob.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
You bought the wrong vehicle if you are complaining about the price of a key.
However, you have TWO different pieces (assuming you have the conventional VAG fob switchblade key). You have the "key", which has the immo transponder chip in it, and the fob, with the buttons. Two parts. The fob part can be programmed easily with VCDS, the immobiliser part of the key cannot.
There are some aftermarket companies (search the phone book) that can do modern cars' keys (lots of them are like this, it is hardly just Volkswagen). There are even some that use a cloning device to match the existing key transponder, not sure how well those work, and some of those are dependent on a battery in the key to stay working, not like the original which does not care. Again, this is a separate part from the fob.

Six or eight automotive locksmiths I called indicated Audis are one of a couple brands they can't do; something about Audi not releasing the programming I think. It may be worth it to call around, this is the same dealer that offered to install a new battery for $600 (they just completed warranty work on the EGR system gratis) and offered to do the battery and new tires for $2,400. O'Reilly's Auto Parts carries the replacement battery for $189 and Tire Rack sells sets of decent tires starting around $800-$1100 or so for a set.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Found another dealer 15 miles from the first one who will program for $80 instead of $195. Unbelievable. May be stuck buying a key from Audi though...first dealership couldn't program the unlocked key I got online - the second said they partially program them at Audi before they send them out, so may be stuck ordering an OEM key.

lml999

TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
When I had to buy a second key for my allroad, four years ago, the only reliable approach was to order the key (and programming) through the dealer. At that time dealers refused to cut keys supplied by customers, and my guess is that this hasn't changed much. I think my key was cut before it arrived at the dealer. And yea, the key and programming ran about $400. But it was one stop shopping and it worked.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
As far as I know, keys aren't cut stateside. The keys come from Germany. Dealers don't have the equipment to cut keys and wouldn't cut 3rd party keys even if they did.

I just ordered 2nd keys for my 15 GSW and 13 Touareg yesterday. My GSW was 130 and my Touareg was 160 (for the transmitter). The key was an extra $50 that I passed on until I got home and opened my emergency key and found out it was plastic...so I guess I'm going to have to buy another one of those just in case even though I've never used a key on any KESSY vehicle. Just my luck would be the one time my wife decides to lock her glove box and breaks the key.

The programming is being quoted at $125 and I'm asking if I can have both programmed at the same time for $125. Those prices are my shop's pricing not public but you can ask them if that's the best they can do. They can be flexible but some things don't have much fat on the bone to cut off (the transmitter had about $40 bucks they could knock off but the key itself only dropped by about $8 bucks from retail).