Purchasing a "fixed" Gen 1

ROB2014TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
Hi all,
I'd like to start by mentioning that I have read through the "Gen 1 post fix impressions" thread. If this post belongs within that thread I apologize ahead of time.
My wife and I owned a 2014 Jetta TDI DSG which we regretfully sold back to VW pretty early on in the scandal. At the time we thought it would be a wise decision to join the ranks of the boring, sensible side of society and purchase a Japanese sedan. Well, we've missed the TDI every day since. Fast forward and the GEN 1 vehicles are "fixed" and back into the market for half the price that VW gave us for them.
We are very seriously contemplating going back to a TDI, but based on the aforementioned thread, I'm concerned about longevity. It appears based on the posts here that there are countless emission system and related component failures post "fix". Of course, the additional warranty is nice, but will the failures just continue beyond the warranty?
My question is, what is the overall consensus here? Is anybody out there that has actually put a decent amount of miles on a "fixed" gen 1? Are the failures a result of forcing this engine to conform to standards it wasn't designed for? or are the failures happening to higher mileage vehicles, that might have had these problems anyway?
Thanks for any input,
Rob

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It was my impression most if not all gen1 were crushed and weren't for sale. (09 and 10). If I were to buy one it would be a 15 with as few miles as possible. I also haven't heard that they were having "countless" issues with them either. You can be pick up a 15 Passat for 15 to 18k, and Jettas even cheaper. I was in the VW office looking over a 15 Passat SEL premium for $15k and heard the couple next to me discussing a Jetta for around $9k. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 15 at all.

ROB2014TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
I thought Gen 1 covered 09-14.
If I'm wrong on that sorry for the confusion, but I am basically referring to the pre 15' fixed TDI's.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I thought Gen 1 covered 09-14.
If I'm wrong on that sorry for the confusion, but I am basically referring to the pre 15' fixed TDI's.

09-14 for Jetta Golfs and Jetta sportwagens, beetles.

Issues with some Gen 1 since fixed have been intake manifold P2015 codes, as well as heater core clogging causing EGR coolant issues, haven't heard much. If you'd find a low mile '14 I'd ask for 2-3K cheaper than the same mileage '15, everything else being the same just cause the engine is the older design and a little less efficient.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Gen 1 cars are '09-14 Jetta, Jetta Sportwagen, Golf, and Beetle. There are many, many of these cars fixed and available for sale, with more coming available through VW's site daily. I can't verify that any of these are '09s, but certainly '10s are included. Some have high mileage, too: I've seen ones at auction with well over 100K miles on them.

Post fix the cars seem to run fine and get good FE (we have two here that are owned by IDParts team members). I don't think there are any more mechanical failures with the fixed cars than there were before the fix, and they're now all covered by the emissions warranty.

There are good deals to be had on Gen 1 cars.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I haven't put enough miles on to talk about longevity but I would suggest to test drive it first as the new DSG shift points may drive you crazy. 50 km/h and the car is at 3k RPM and cruising at 100 km/h the car wants to be in 5th gear.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I am at 16,000 on my gen 1 post fix. Modification done at 61k on 8/17/17 - at 77k now, no issues. Almost 20k on my gen 2, modification done at 50k on 9/15/17, now at 70k - failed heater core and failed water pump (replaced under warranty extension / powertrain), it had sat for most of the previous 18 months, purchased it post fix. Both maintained per vw maintenance schedule and only top tier (mobil/shell/bp) fuel. My daily round trip is 65 miles 90% at 70mph.

hause

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Golf Tdi... all souped up also a MK7 Sportwagen on its way to greatness
I buy and sell a few of these a week. All have been mechanically solid. 15K for a low mileage (under 40k) 2015 passat sel is a good deal

booty

Veteran Member
Turned in TDI back on market

I turned in a 2012 Passat SEL TDI in Anchorage in April of 2016 for a friend who had a stroke and could no longer drive. He received almost $30000 for it as it had only 6000 miles on it. It is now for sale at Auburn (WA) VW for $14500. The dealer in Auburn has a very large inventory of fixed TDI's so they must now really be hitting the markets in big numbers. If I needed a car I would make an offer on the 2012 my friend had but I just do not need it now.:)

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I have 2010 Jetta TDI that I kept it and after the emission fix the car runing fine and have not run into any emission related problems in the 10K I have put. However I had to get the car tuned and it is even far much funner to drive.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
My buddy just picked up a '14 JSW DSG with 130k. Aside from needing a timing belt and flywheel (maintenance), initial impressions are good. Time will tell.

A bit of a sidebar....

In our search we found that many of the vehicles out there were one owner "commercial" vehicles with high mileage (40k +per year). May we're priced pretty reasonably for 4 year old cars.

I'm wondering if a good chunk of these weren't VWOA corporate cars?