auto trans issue

1towman

TDI
2001 Jetta tdi w/5 speed
So I sold a 2001 w/ a automatic trans to a woman and she is telling me that the trans is starting to rev up when she puts it in drive and then when it hits about 3K it will bang into gear and I was wondering if I should try a trains drain and fill or a drain and fill w/ a new filter?

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
sounds like limp mode. drain and fill might work. could also try a basic settings / adaptation reset via VCDS after the fluid change.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Chance you take with a used car. How many miles on transmission? Could be internal wiring harness has melted or transmission may be on its way out.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Check the fluid level first, but know that the 01M transmission is a well known turd. It may just be tooefed.

1towman

TDI
2001 Jetta tdi w/5 speed
So forgot to mention that I did try to pull codes on this car with my Vagcom and nothing came up. Does everybody recommend replacing the filter when I change out the fluid? Also how do I go about doing a reset on the transmission software?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I can't think of a reason to not change the trans filter unless you recently already did.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
If it’s banging into gear, it could have a bad valve body. Of course try the basics like proper fill level. Those transmissions are very sensitive to fluid fill amount.