Flashing Parking Brake Light.

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
My boyfriends TDI has had a ABS light for a long while, it came and went with the weather. It's a 99.5 that I put ASR into. It some times works, most times doesn't. It seems to work when it's really cold out. Like -20C.
Recently the parking brake has decided to start flashing and yelling at us.
I believe it says there is a issue with one wheel speed sensor. I tried changing it and it didn't resolve anything, it said it for a long while, way before the flashing parking brake.
Video of it in action: WARNING, LOUD ANNOYING SMS TONE AT 40 SECONDS!

oliveone

TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL, 2002 Jetta, 2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta 6 speed M new baby :-) 2013 Passat 6 speed M Silver
Have this same issue. Not sure what it is. I will follow this thread to find out a fix.

jettaboosttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
check your brake fluid level, alot of the time the parking brake light flashing and beeping is low fluid warning. worth a shot, as far as abs light i am unsure maybe someone else can chime in

craby1925

TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi
Plus one on the vcds scan, plus asr conversions are finicky as anything, so go through and compare your modified harness against that of a bently manual for issues.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
One other suggestion, to eliminate the most obvious- check the area of the parking brake lever, to make sure something (sunglass case, drink mug, whatever) isn't preventing the parking brake lever from being fully in the "down" position. Further, check to make sure the parking brake lever switch is indeed seeing the parking brake as "off". (I suspect VCDS can be used to check this, but I'm not sure).

Pablo556

TDI
Golf 2001 Golf 86
I had this happen on my 02 Golf. The light started flashing while driving on the first day of my vacation. Checked here to see if others had the problem.
My wife was afraid it was something big going wrong, took it to a dealer (best service I ever had at a dealership). The problem was the wires to the back hatch brake light had broken.
You might want to check wires first.

lizzieinmd

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
I just recently had this problem with my 2005 Golf. My mechanic friend and I decided it may be a bad parking brake switch so took the center console off to check the functioning of the parking brake switch. Found out that when the parking brake lever was lowered it was pushing the plastic parking brake switch off to the side and so therefore was not depressing the button on top. Our fix was to use a small plastic cable tie to attach it to the lever mechanism so it could not move away from the lever. Works like a charm - no more beeping and flashing lights and parking brake works fine now. Had I taken it to the dealer I'm sure they would have replaced the parking brake switch - which did not need replacing, just repositioning.

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
I ruled out that it was the parking brake its self. Did you guys watch the video? Everytime at around 15KM/H it comes on. I'll scan the car when it's not freezing balls.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You know about the recalls for brake light switches? I'm not sure about the '03, but most were recalled years ago.

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
Recall was done according to the dealership.

I might just swap a non ARS pump into the car. It's due for brake fluid anyways, it's had 3 years on +30C in the summer and -40C in the winter..

raikky

Veteran Member
TDI
vw polo 1.4 tdi se pd
i had this on my car for a while. I checked the fuses on the battery and they looked ok but thought id change em anyway at £1.50. That got rid of the flashing parking brake light but i still get an abs light every now and again.

TJ01TDI

TDI
'00 Jetta 330K km, '01 Jetta 510K km
I know, old thread, but I just had a similar issue.
ABS on solid, park brake light flashing and beeps, and no A/C.
Solution: connector on back of fuse pack on top of battery had come loose.

roy001

TDI
-99 Seat Ibiza GT TDI EVO1 110HP+ -98 Ibiza GT TDI 110HP
I'm facing the same issue on my one now.
First when it's started, it's ok.
After a few secounds, all gauges drop to zero, and the hand brake and ABS starts to flash simultaneously.
Have no error codes in VCDS.
It's an old car, so a cabel issue is not a big surprise, only annoying.
And yes: The radio is dead. My daughter have been using this car for a loong periode, and she's claming that the radio was dead a long time ago...
I'll have to cjheck that too.
But first, the gauges and warening lamps.
I'll be back if I find anything of value for later readers.

roy001

TDI
-99 Seat Ibiza GT TDI EVO1 110HP+ -98 Ibiza GT TDI 110HP
Ok, that was a short brake...
Found that the battery seemed pretty toasted.
And correct enough: Charging voltage was 19V
Replaced the alternator, and new charging voltage was 14.55V on the toasted battery, and all flashing disappeared, and the gauges works again, and... the radio with the SUBwoofer is alive.
So this was a charging issue.
Maybe someone need the advice one day.
Cheers!

4thbugTDI

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
Mine flashes on my 04 Golf but will disappear if I start the car after it starts raining. The solid parking brake light will not stay when engaged either. My vag com has a few codes but I can't decipher them. Here's one:

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 1J0-920-xx5-17.lbl
Part No: 1J0 920 907 E
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V02
Coding: 15232
Shop #: WSC 09016
VCID: 2B4BC897D97C9040A4E
9BWGR61J844032262 VWZ7Z0C7890308
No fault code found.

These are due to the rear ABS sensors not working due to the speed sensor ring needing to be replaced with the wheel hub:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ESP-F.lbl
Part No: 1C0 907 379 M
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0102
Coding: 0019458
Shop #: WSC 00001 785 00200
VCID: 3479D3EB5442CFB8F54
2 Faults Found:
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit
00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

Any ideas why the light goes out when it rains? Could it be a grounding issue?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Post #16 seems most on point for this.
Might check if there are outstanding recalls on brake light switch.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
left field...

Doors autolock function working? Only saying this because it triggers when you start driving. How it could be related??? ...possibly poor ground if same circuit.

VChristian

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta, (2) 02 Jetta, 03 Jetta, 15 Jetta
On my 99.5 when the flashing brake light is on, I also get an ABS light, and VDCS shows an intermittent sensor on some wheel. The problem comes and goes. Left rear, change sensor, then right rear. Just haven't changed right rear.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
4thbug,

Check continuity through the sensors at the rear wheels as well as corrosion in the plug.
Wiggle the wires also.
I was getting intermittent ABS light (on a few days, off for a while) until it stayed on.
Rear left sensor is open.
If they have continuity you would have to test at the ABS controller plug to the back.
You need the wiring diagram for the pin-out.
Some day I'll get to install the new sensor. :)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
left field...

Doors autolock function working? Only saying this because it triggers when you start driving. How it could be related??? ...possibly poor ground if same circuit.
Right field. :)
Moving the car does trigger things s/a the doors auto locking.
That may also be part of when the dinging starts.

Mattimus Prime

TDI
2000 mk4 manual 237,000
Fixed it

I had this same problem, flashing red brake light, 3 loud beeps and a solid yellow abs light. Replaced the right rear caliper (ebrake actuator had seized) amd the light went away. Still got the abs one though.

Last edited: