Black sooty smoke then blue smoke...

fo fo weed

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB
this morning when I left for work I cranked and the engine wouldn't start for about 5 min. while cranking really, really black sooty smoke was billowing out the back. When it finally started; really thick blue smoke and it would not rev over 1,100 rpm's for another 5 min. when I was able to get it to rev it up to 2,000 I took off and 2 blocks later it was fine. 2 things I did yesterday; filled up at a Premier pump I stumbled across that I'm not to sure it was winterized and put a 1/3 can of Amsoil diesel fuel concentrate before bed. Any idea whats going on or what I shoul check? FYI: it wasnt that cold last night, mabey 30-35+. thanks

[ February 25, 2002, 16:52: Message edited by: fo fo weed ]

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
fo fo weed, this sounds like the same thing that happens when you replace the fuel filter and fill it with Power Service. i wonder if the Mobil was cleaning out your system
the other thing i might wonder if it was not winterised fuel and was close to gel point? if you have the problem again, give me a call and i can run down with my VAG and check things out, although i presume you have no CEL? maybe a glow plug relay?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
1. Anti-shudder valve (a.k.a. change-over valve) stuck closed.

2. Incorrect injection timing (I would say unlikely in this case)

3. Faulty coolant temperature sensor causing no glow plug operation.

4. Poor quality or inadequately winterized fuel.

Anything else?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I would agree with "GoFaster".....check the operation of your anti-shutter valve....it may well be sticking or hanging in the closed position due to "Gunk" sludge deposits (EGR & CCV Disease).

Herm

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
Originally posted by GoFaster:
1. Anti-shudder valve (a.k.a. change-over valve) stuck closed.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">would this cause the smoke? i would think that it just wouldn't start if this where the case. or start for a second and then die.

and timing would not happen all of a sudden correct?

so, something to do with glow plugs or just the worng fuel at the right time

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
garrettp ,
If the change-over (anti-shutter) valve is partialy hung or stuck mid-way to closed...the engine is only getting limited air for combustion..The engine will be spewing a multifarious display of smoke...
This comment is what gives me the feeling about a "Hung" anti-shutter valve..."When it finally started; really thick blue smoke and it would not rev over 1,100 rpm's for another 5 min. when I was able to get it to rev it up to 2,000 I took off and 2 blocks later it was fine".

It sounds like the valve is slowly creeping open....as the engine gets more intake air the RPM's climb
Of all the potential causes of this problem....I would start looking at this part first...

I feel that "GoFaster" has given the correct priority of isolation to fix this problem.

I think that fo fo weed's TDI has a classic case of "CCV-EGR" disease

Herm

[ February 25, 2002, 21:02: Message edited by: Herm TDI ]

fo fo weed

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB
thanks for the responses guys; any suggestion on what course of action to take next or should wait to see if it happens again(is this anything serious).

Garrett, I saw in another post you have a air box lid...any chance you still got that sittin' around?

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
Originally posted by fo fo weed:

Garrett, I saw in another post you have a air box lid...any chance you still got that sittin' around?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yep, sure doodley doo. someone in Washington wanted it but fixed their's. so if you want it, i got it

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
fo fo weed ,
What I would do is remove your EGR / anti shutter valve assembly and the disassemble the units...carefully remove the EGR valve inlet...the seperate the anti shutter valve...make sure that you remove all rubber and other plastic parts as well as any electrical parts...untill you have just the metal throat of the EGR valve and the anti shutter valve..and then use a solvent that will remove the carbon gunk. "Gum-Out" is a good product to use in this application. Just make sure that you remove all rubber ..plastic and electrical components befor you do any cleaning. Then after you've cleaned all of the gunk out of the EGR / Anti-Shutter valve, reassemble the parts...install everything and than you'll be in good shape.

...E-mail me if you want to do a long term cure for your EGR/ CCV disease

[ February 26, 2002, 11:55: Message edited by: Herm TDI ]