Buying & Selling TDIs? Read this first!!

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
So there seem to be more threads than usual lately in the "Bad" thread category. Both on the buying and selling side. Usually these threads get quickly thread jacked. TDI club has a IRC Chat Channel. There are a good number of us that sit round and BS about life, politics and occasionally TDIs. We always get a good laugh out of these threads.

I'm creating this post to hopefully help people on BOTH sides.

Buyers
TDIs and Diesels in general are in High Demand. Edmunds, KBB and other price sites usually price low. If you're looking to pick up a TDI for what KBB says good luck. Good deals do exist but they are rare. You are unlikely to find them on TDI Club (But sometimes they do happen). You might search Craigslist or Crazed List, other sites to check are Cars.com and Autotrader.com you might even have luck on Ebay.com.

You have to CONSTANTLY keep looking. Set up an RSS Feed or bookmark it and check it hourly. (Firefox has plug-ins to check for changes to pages).
Good deals like $3000 Mk4 Golfs and $2000 Mk3 Jettas do come along but if you're not in the right place at the right time, you're not going to get it. Sometimes someone doesn't know what they have. Grandpa selling grandma's car. Children selling off estates. People who just have no clue what they have. Broken cars.. Things literally come down to the minute.

Be prepared to travel. I know this may be hard to fit into your work schedule. Finding exactly what you want, where you want it when you want it is going to be no small feat, most especially if you live in a rural area or less populous areas of the country. Personally I flew to LA from IN. The seller was more concerned with the money than getting rid of the car. I had the money in hand within a few days and flew out a few weeks later.

Hesitation = deals lost. The guy that e-mails the seller with money in hand will get the car before the guy that e-mails with a list of questions. HOWEVER. If you are looking for a daily driver with 0 problems, this may not be the best course of action. Some of the "Collectors" on the forums (And you know who you are) will do this. They know exactly what they're getting themselves into. If you are an expert mechanic and have another vehicle then you may be able to do this. Sometimes these cars are perfect, sometimes these cars need everything done to them. "You get what you pay for". If I walked across a Mk4 TDI in craigslist selling for 1500$ and the body looked good I'd get it in a second.

Ask questions. This is contradictory to getting the deal of a lifetime, but if you are a first time TDI owner, new car buyer or looking for your primary vehicle you want to make sure you get the best VEHICLE possible. Timing belt, oil change interval, oil, general maintenance, these are all things you want to know about. Not knowing these things can lead to a bad buying experience. You can blame VW, blame diesels, TDIs in general when the real problem is the maintenance by the Previous Owner, things which could have been discovered by adequately discovered by a good round of questioning.

Do the math. There are numerous "Are TDIs for me?" threads and you can find them on the search page. These cars last a long time but they aren't appliances. If you spend $5000 extra to get an extra 20 MPG you're saving yourself 133 gallons over 10,000 miles. $400 at todays prices. Break even is a far time in the distance. Look at the last 4 cars you bought, how long did they last. Did you drive them until the DMV said they were no longer suitable for road travel or did you 'trade up' when the high gloss wax wore off? TDIs are not for everyone. VWs are not for everyone. I've owned a Mk3 and 4 Mk2s. They will 'nickel and dime you', if you can perform your own maintenance you'll save a bundle. If you plan on driving this car into the ground without as much as checking air pressure, the car won't last and you'll end up frustrated and mad. More importantly, you could be 'stealing' a buy from some body who does want to invest 200,000 miles into this car and really is in it for the long haul. No thread can tell you if you are 'right' for a TDI but don't forget common sense when you see "50 MPG". Real life, most people get into the 40s and even into the 30s... Do your research.

While posting WTB threads are fine, be reasonable. Take into consideration everything above and everything below. You are not going to find a 2006 Jetta with <50,000 miles for $8,000. We're going to laugh at you, either publicly or on the side. State where you are (or fill in your dang profile location) what you are looking for and be reasonable on what you expect to spend. Most of the time WTB ads are filled by someone saying "Hey I'm selling my car in this thread". Spend 10 seconds to READ the posts. Don't register and post a WTB thread 30 seconds after joining and don't expect US to do YOUR work for you. If you want your $2000 mint condition one owner car that was only used to go to Church on Sunday don't expect us to tell you about it. Find it yourself because if we see it first, it's ours.
--
Sellers

TDIs are in high demand. It is definitely a seller's market. You car is not made of gold. Asking 2x of KBB or $5k over the highest eBay auction you found will not move your car. It will draw hecklers and tire kickers.

Set a reasonable price. Check eBay auctions and "Sold" threads. Set it at or a bit higher than comparable sales. If you just bought your car 5k miles ago from the dealer and you're looking to break even, it most likely won't happen. If you know the TB needs to be done or you just blew a head because you didn't do the TB, knock that off the price. Use common sense.

If you want the MOST amount of money for your car, TDIClub is probably not your best place. Ebay is full of dumb buyers. Set a high reserve price and let it run its course. Sprinkle in terms like "up to 50 MPG" (or if you want to push it "Up to 60 MPG") and "Runs on BioDiesel, no War Needed." Tug at heart strings make make grandiose statements, 'exceptions rather than the rule' claims. Fill it with big red letters. You will sucker in some buyer. There have been a few that came here trying to get 4k+ for their 20ish year old car and we all laughed and asked him to keep moving but he eventually found a buyer on Ebay. Sellers are highballers and buyers are lowballers here, that's the way it's been since I joined. This forum is not the place for maximum money. But you will guarantee your car is going to someone who at least takes interest in your car.

Pictues Pictures Pictures Pictures. You're going to get requests for them. You might as well save yourself and us the time of requesting them. You can upload to TDIClub's own server, Image Shack, Photo Bucket, Flickr or any number of other websites. Post them and post them early. A picture is worth 1000 words. People are going to want to see them, especially if your price is in the upper sigma of prices for similar cars. If you're selling your car at KBB or under, you can probably get away without one.

Questions. Expect them. Maintenance history most especially. Timing belt and oil are going to be the first questions that everyone wants to know. Know when, where and how the timing belt was done. Receipts too. If you don't know SAY YOU DON'T KNOW (And knock down your asking price by 500-1000$). Same with oil. If you have been running full synthetic but you've only owned it for 3k out of 190k miles and you don't know what the PO ran, then state it. It's going to get asked. PDs require 505.01 oil. Earlier cars required full synthetic. There are 1000 oil threads and no need to rehash them in your FS ad, but if you decided to 'experiment' with Rotella-T in your 2006 and start a thread about it, see below.

Don't try and fool us. This forum is full of experts, mechanics and people who think they're experts. If you start a thread "How Mark and Spray TB change worked for me" don't be surprised if someone puts two and two together and asks about it or even posts a link to it in your FS thread. If you were having loud clicking and valve trouble 3 months ago and suddenly your car is for sale, we're going to ask about it. All it takes is an Advanced Search or clicking on your username and "Find More Posts by ...". Anything you post can help or hurt you. See Bleached Bora's thread (Linked below), he's been around long enough that people know what has gone into his car. His presence on the thread did nothing but help his sale. Newbies, don't think that you're going to get away by not having any of these threads. Someone is going to be even more suspect if you just joined this month and your first post is to sell your car. "Long time lurker" doesn't make it far.

Be descriptive. While I could fill my quota with examples of Bad FS threads, here are a few GOOD FS threads.
Bleached Bora Sells his Mk3
Mk3 for sale
And if you don't know much or haven't done much, you can still put what you know.

Your car is not perfect. There are some forum members cars who are, but they will never be for sale (and they don't need to read this post to know how to make a forsale thread). It has a ding, a dent, a rust patch, a leak, a tear, a smell, a shake, a rattle, a maintenance problem or a missing part. Tell us what it is. Some of the better threads I've seen are "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" format. You'll get less questions and people will probably trust your sale more. Even if you consider your car perfect, close your eyes and run your hands along the exterior. "Small ding on rear door, no paint broken", etc. Sure you can lie, but you'll just upset the buyer down the road and you never know when Karma's looking.

If you list bare plain statistics you're going to do better than 1/2 the threads out there: Year, Model, Body Style (Wagon/Sedan/Hatchback), Miles, Color, Sunroof/NoSunroof, Tire Age/Tread condition, Mods and PRICE. Posting a 'feeler' thread is fine, but if you toss up that your car is for sale the first post is most likely going to be "Price?". "Car for sale. TDI. Located in Chicago, call me" says absolutely nothing.

It may seem stupid but why are you selling your car? Your wife just have another kid and you can't fit the car seats? Did your job just issue a company car for that 200 mile a day sales trip. Did you get a new car? Someone just trying to dump their car just seems suspicious.

When the car is sold, edit your first post. Put in Big Red 7 Size Font SOLD! There is nothing worse than some newbie coming in and seeing his ideal car, looking at the first post and then harassing you via PM or bringing the thread all the way back up to the top. Say the car has sold. Leave the pertinent information so people can do research on what prices are good, etc, but put that the car has sold.

Last but not least: TDI Club sold your car for 'free'. EBay, Cars, Auto trader, local newspapers all cost money to sell. If you sell your car via TDIClub consider a donation. At this moment "Currently Active Users: 957 (256 members and 701 guests)". Bandwidth is not free. Even if you only donate 1/2 of what it would have cost selling it on eBay it's more than nothing for Fred.

Last edited:

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
tomo366 said:
But....do you honestly believe the Newbie........is going to read this????
I have my doubts........
At least rather than flaming them we can just post a link to both sellers and buyers. Maybe I'll add a button in firefox "Newb in FS" and it'll automatically post a link to in anytime someone is looking for that $2000 rust free mint condition low miles grandma highway driven Toureg.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have no intention of changing my posting habits........
I will try to protect unsuspecting folks from the person whose 1st post and last post is to "Dump" his creampuff on an unsuspecting member

Your intentions are good but the problems right now are twofold......
1st, no new TDI cars available! and 2nd, because of supply and demand, folks trying to make a quick buck!!
and the place is loaded with know-it-alls, tirekickers, and lowballers.......who just just don't get it....

Last edited:

VWBILL

TDI
2002 Jetta
I'm a Newbie (to this site) and I read it!

VWBill

1963 VW Bug 135K
1969 VW Bug 164K
1973 VW Squareback 110K
1980 VW Rabbit 85K
1982 VW Rabbit Diesel 225K
2002 Jetta TDI 148K and climbing
Current restore project: 1972 Bug on 68 frame
Total VW mileage: over 100K on each above, you do the math! Been driving 'em since 1968!

Katesy_Daisy

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 2, looking to convert my cabrio
This is a fantastic thread and provided me with great knowledge on the dynamic of buying and selling TDIs. This information even gave me some great advice on other locations to post my car in order to sell. I just wanted to say thank you.

golden01

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 VW Rabbit Truck
bought my wagon in this manner.

Hi everyone.
After my daughter totaled a perfectly fine 2000TDI with 164K miles, I searched for the deal. Everyone wanted top dollar for used ones. Then, my dream car showed up at a dealership in Arkansas. Showed up? Yup. I looked and scoured the net for 2 weeks, then by pure accident it showed up. I was showing my wife a couple of diesel bugs that I was interested in when this beautiful red Jetta TDI wagon with 60,033 miles showed up with pics on Ebay, rated at excellent. In looking over the pics, it was missing the left and right bumper fillers, missing some wheel bolt caps and the engine cover caps. Outside of that, it looked excellent. It was on ebay all of one and 1/2 hours, the buy it now about 4-5K below what folks are asking here at the club. I HIT THE BUY IT NOW BUTTON after careful worry and quick debate with the wife.
I drove out there in my 2002 TDI and I drove the wagon back 700 miles with wife following me. The rear bearings were shot. Slight hesitation/delay when accerlerating, otherwise fine. No leaks, no oil usage. Car ride was fabulous. Missing three knobs from the radio---The prior owner had it serviced at a VW place in Litlle Rock and needed a bigger wagon for his family. I suspect one of the little fellers took the knobs and wheel bolt caps!
This past week, I replaced the bearings, changed the cabin filter(the old one was a mess), the oil and oil filter with synthetic 5W40, Airfilter was new, and I replaced the fuel filter. The fuel injector pump looked brand new. The EGR is not plugged. I have a new MAF ordered. Bolt covers found on this site.(thanks BMW-5power)New Bosch windshield wiper blade refills coming in as well--Thanks VW parts from Michigan.
Therefore, in times like these, one can get a car at a good price, you just have to be persistently looking!! I feel quite fortunate to get this wagon. Small town in Arkansas, outside of Little Rock. I spent all of five minutes before I hit the buy it now button. Ask my wife, I never buy anything unless I absolutely need it, or it is a very good deal.
Have a great day. By the way daughter is fine. Car cage protected her as she rolled the Jetta 150 feet!!! No doubt, the Jetta saved her that night; yes she wore her seatbelt.
golden 01--Frugal one:cool:

Last edited:

loneviking

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat wagon
Luck and time. I've wanted a TDI for years but for so long the asking price even for a high mileage used one was more than I would pay.

Then I got a new job and also got lucky. A guy at work had a 96 Passat wagon that he didn't need anymore. It had 179,000 miles on it, but it had been well maintained. At $3,000 the price was right! I did wind spending $35 to get a new side mirror and drivers door lock tightned. Another $800 to fix the exhaust when the turbo and exhaust blew apart. So, for just under $4,000, I have a nice wagon with everything I wanted. All because of time, luck and always being on the lookout.

tooltalltim

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon and 96 Passat
Iam newbie considering buying 96 passat wagon with 264k miles . it has been gone thru with new bearing,axels , brakes/rotors, tires, fluids, filters , injector pump timed ,new tubo sensor, door handles, rad. flush,and clean buff paint.the price is $11,000. I know these cars are not that easy to find , in your opinions do you think this is worth it.Tooltalltim.....

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
tooltalltim said:
Iam newbie considering buying 96 passat wagon with 264k miles . it has been gone thru with new bearing,axels , brakes/rotors, tires, fluids, filters , injector pump timed ,new tubo sensor, door handles, rad. flush,and clean buff paint.the price is $11,000.
A 12 year old car with 264k on it (what's a turbo sensor?) for 11k is just absolutely stupid in my book, but if you want to, go for it.

For just a few thousand more Jason TDI has a Jetta for sale for around 12k, newer, already chipped, owned by a Guru etc.

highdesertgal

TDI
looking for one
Well, I read the "read this first" and found it great, thanks. Now, do I have a snowballs chance in you know what of finding a wagon? I have no idea how to go about finding this car...would never buy one off of ebay, and is it really worth it to travel? I am 4 hours from everywhere, in Elko, Nevada...

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
highdesertgal said:
Well, I read the "read this first" and found it great, thanks. Now, do I have a snowballs chance in you know what of finding a wagon? I have no idea how to go about finding this car...would never buy one off of ebay, and is it really worth it to travel? I am 4 hours from everywhere, in Elko, Nevada...
Well you don't want to travel to get one of the RARE wagons then you will not drive one of the RARE wagons.

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Thanks for a valuable post, and good reality check.
I know I'm ancient history, but still, my best purchase was a search all over North America, and eventually driving a new TDI home, half way across America. In addition to the actual search and discovery/purchase, I heard incredible "pitches" from sellers all across America. One dealer told me I'd never find the color I wanted, he said, since VW couldn't get that paint to stick to the car, but of course, I could buy a different color from him. The search can be an amazing experience that will last a lifetime.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Don't put the price of the car in the thread title as one cannot edit the thread title once they post. Many times people post an optimistic price in the title and then after a week of no activity they start dropping the price.

Never list your price as 'FIRM', that turns people off. Always give yourself some bargaining room and use 'OBO.'

Mtogburn

TDI
96 B4 Passat Sedan Grey,99 VW Beetle TDI White, 04 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins TD with Bully Dog Injectors and Bully Dog Triple Dog Programmer Black
You were all newbies once

Hello,
And as the other newbies said I read this. Also the vehicles are out there and like the Person who posted it said you need to be quick to get the deal. I found a 96 passat tdi posted for $1500 at 6:30 on a Saturday. Wrote teh guy an email told him I wanted to buy it and had $1500 cash for him. Got an email the next day with pics and he called him that afternoon. Said he was getting offers for more than he posted it for. I told him I was not surprised because the vehicles were pretty high in demand. Told him I would give him $2000 for it if I liked it. I got to see it yesterday evening and take it for a spin. Gave him a $200 deposit and have a reciept. He will be shipping off in the next couples of weeks. I am supposed to pick it up next Tuesday. I think I will be doing pretty well to get in that cheap. He had the exhaust manifold replace recently said it was an $800 job. Also had the timing belt done about 25-30K ago. She has 209000 on her. I figured get the small coolant leak fixed, check all the brakes out get it inspected then woory about the small amounts of rust on the doors. Lots of donor cars out there for the doors. One on ebay right now that was totaled and all the doors look perfect. It has a TDI in it two so I might be getting parts car. Later Mike

mvdiesel

TDI
gettin' ready to go for it
tomo366 said:
I have my doubts........
I'm brandie new and I found it very helpful;)

You dudes are into it to say the least. I want to keep reading just to figure out *** you are tallking about!

MV

hbarca

TDI
I am looking to buy the 1.9L TDI to "performance tune"
Edgfld said:
I'm a newbie and I read it!! ;-)
I read this too and I found it helpful.

Thanks,

Scott

Shrubman

Veteran Member
I just noticed something. The paragraph addressed to buyers says "TDIs are in high demand" and then goes on to say deals are hard to come by. The next paragraph, adressed to sellers, also says "TDIs are in high demand" but then cautions that it is not a sellers market.

Is this neither a sellers or buyers market? Seems unlikely.

My 2 cents...

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Shrubman said:
I just noticed something. The paragraph addressed to buyers says "TDIs are in high demand" and then goes on to say deals are hard to come by. The next paragraph, adressed to sellers, also says "TDIs are in high demand" but then cautions that it is not a sellers market.

Is this neither a sellers or buyers market? Seems unlikely.

My 2 cents...
Stupid copy paste editing:

TDIs are in high demand. It is definitely a seller's market.
Fixed :)

curtisspearsjr

TDI
98 Beetle
I just read it.....

tomo366 said:
I have my doubts........
I am new to the site and will be selling my 98 tdi beetle on the right forum (hopefully). Thanks for the great advice. Hope I can remember all of it....LOL

dfwtdi

TDI
none, yet
Rejection of your argument

I have been contemplating purchasing a TDi for the past month or so, and as such, I have also been trolling the message boards, cars.com, dealerships, craigslist, and ebay.

The main thing I noticed is that these cars are overpriced...not by a single digit % or even a modest 10%, but by anywhere from 15-30%...and for some reason, everyone on the forum lines up to justify this. Before you get upset and tell me I don't know what I am talking about, I would like to explain my position. First of all, I get the supply and demand argument...there are more people wanting to buy these cars than there are available, fuel economy, good resale value, etc. I have been told by several owners and a few shady "TDI only dealers" that KBB does not apply with these vehicles.

A few logical rejections:

Insurance: All insurance companies pay total loss claims based on KBB or similar published book value. True, if you had a total loss and filed under your own insurance, they would have to pay you actual cash value, but this also assumes you declared the value when you insured it. Also, any betterments such as expensive or recent maintenance or upgrades must be documented and you must be able to prove their value. If some jerk hits you and you use their insurance to pay for your vehicle, good luck getting more than book value.

Banks: A bank loans money on vehicles based on book value. Why? Because it is collateral against your debt. There is not a great number of bankers who will loan you $15K for a $12K vehicle.

IRS: If I donate a vehicle to a charitable cause, IRS defines "fair market value" as the published book value. Period. If you claim anything over that, you are claiming a fraudulent deduction.

A practical rejection:

A friend of mine went into a VW dealership three days ago in my Honda, asking about TDIs. The sales manager immediately started telling me that these cars fetch a higher price because of their desirability and fuel economy, blah blah blah. So he showed me some overpriced, trashed out, cars. I left.

Yesterday, the same friend who owns a TDI went to another VW dealership, trying to trade his TDI in. They initially offer him a little less than book trade in, at which he scoffs. He repeats the argument from two days prior almost verbatim, trying to justify why he should be paid a premium for his trade. The manager laughs him out of the building, offering the exact opposite argument. His points for rejection were: not a mass market technology, diesel costs more to maintain b/c of specialized body of knowledge required to work on them, diesel costs more so not that much cheaper to operate, etc.

So, my conclusion: If you are trying to buy, you justify a low price based on what benefits you, and if you are trying to sell, you try and gouge people because you think you have solid gold under the hood.

steakman

TDI
None
A friend of mine went into a VW dealership three days ago in my Honda, asking about TDIs. The sales manager immediately started telling me that these cars fetch a higher price because of their desirability and fuel economy, blah blah blah. So he showed me some overpriced, trashed out, cars. I left.

Yesterday, the same friend who owns a TDI went to another VW dealership, trying to trade his TDI in. They initially offer him a little less than book trade in, at which he scoffs. He repeats the argument from two days prior almost verbatim, trying to justify why he should be paid a premium for his trade. The manager laughs him out of the building, offering the exact opposite argument. His points for rejection were: not a mass market technology, diesel costs more to maintain b/c of specialized body of knowledge required to work on them, diesel costs more so not that much cheaper to operate, etc.

So, my conclusion: If you are trying to buy, you justify a low price based on what benefits you, and if you are trying to sell, you try and gouge people because you think you have solid gold under the hood.
Ain't that the truth...!!

Oh and BTW...I too, am a relative neub here...not to diesels but TDI's. I do know enough to know that oil/type/freq of change etc and TB are likely the 2 most important items for PM on these units. Secolndary Fuel/Oil filtration & blocking your EGR are also some things I would consider in a TDI.

Yea I'm looking..look at my sig...who ain't..?? Some very good advice in the thread start.!!

cheers,

stk

Last edited:
TDI
Wana Be
good thread BTW,
Well I'm new to TDI's but I come from a VW family. I read all 3 pages of this thread and I want a medal from Tom.
I think that people selling their TDI's are like people selling their houses. Folks think their's is the best and don't understand why the world isn't banging down their door to buy it at top dollor prices.
I'm looking for a lower mile TDI wagon (Jetta or Passat), automatic, and in the lower $teens. Before you all laugh me off the list, know that I have time and I love the thrill of the hunt. It took me 8 months of daily searching to find my 1987 VW Syncro Vanagon. It's a 1/2 camper and had 260K miles on it then and has 330K miles on it now. (I'd work in a trade if your interested.) Wish me luck.
Now for the accranims. These are what I've figured out so far.
TDI = Turbo direct Injection (duh)
TB = Timing Belt, (This is important cuz I'm guessing if it breaks the valves fall into the head and everything gets ground to bits.. Right?)

MFA = Married, Female, actuator?
EGR = Elderly Grandpa Regulator?
Help me out here.

Kevin in Kanab UT
87 Syncro Weekender 331 K Miles
1966 type 1 Wolfsberg baja project
1966 type 1 parts project
1998 Chevy Metro 160 K miles (49 MPG Unleaded)

Kara

TDI
None yet!
Thanks for the info, hopefully TDI's will be more accessible in the future. I wish I were able to travel for a vehicle but I just can't buy something sight unseen!

rbobgovw

TDI
06jetta, 02golf, 96passat
Great thread, I am a "newbie" to Tdi Club that has been lurking here for over two years. Thank you for posting all the info anyone can use. After a two year search on several web sites, I've recently purchased a 02 golf gls auto tdi 116k, and a 96 passat tdi 250k needs work, but looks and runs ok.(11k for both) Rare cars in chicagoland but both found on C.L. late at night and inspected and purchased the next day. Luck ; is when preporation, (searching daily with cash in hand), meets oportunity,(the one you want).