1998 Jetta TDI - VNT17, Quaife, etc.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Sold!

Not entirely sure what I want to do with this car, but I bought a '13 CC a couple days ago, so I figured I'd see if there was any interest in this car. I've also considering using it as a donor car for the drivetrain to put into my rabbit truck, but it really is a decent mk3 so I'd feel bad about making a donor car out of it.

Located in Greenville, SC. Bought this from another TDIClub member back in 2015. (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=446593) One of the first owners was a TDIClub member, as well. (http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=650) As far as I can tell, I am the 5th owner. I have a folder full of receipts and documentation going back to new, including the window sticker.

1998 Jetta TDI
286k miles
Porcelain Blue with Black interior
Manual windows
Manual seats
Power Sunroof (odd combination with everything else manual)
Car was bought new in Arizona and lived there most of it's life, so it has none of the rust that mk3s are known for.
Body is in good shape with random dings here and there.
Paint is TERRIBLE on the upper surfaces - hood, roof, trunk, bumper tops.
From what I can tell, the passenger side of the car has been painted at some point, but door/fender gaps are all nice so I don't think it's been wrecked.

Interior is in good shape.
I replaced the seat foam in the driver seat not too long after I got it to fix a collapsed outer bolster.
Has monster mats front and rear.
Headliner does have a faint water stain on the sunroof slider panel
Cluster plugs were all resoldered so cluster works as it should.
All speakers have been replaced, and a small sound ordnance sub added to the back of the rear seat.
Heat is hot
A/C is cold
It does throw bits of foam at you from time to time, though.
Illuminated mk4 style shift knob
DRL were disabled by de-pinning a wire from the headlight switch.
VDO Boost Gauge in BFI gauge holder

Suspension is Koni STR.T struts with weitec 60/40 springs - About 30k miles on them
All new strut mounts at the same time
Rear drums were converted to discs
Front brakes are 11" G60 Corrado
Control arm bushings, ball joints, etc were replaced just prior to my purchasing the car and are still in good shape. They have about 45k miles on them.
Wheels are G60 Corrado steelies with 195/55/15 Yokohama S-Drives. Tires will need replacing in the next 10k miles or so. They are just about down to the wear bars.
Wheels are powder coated (but poorly done) and don't have any visible bends.

Shortblock has never been apart (as far as I know)
Head was rebuilt by Frank06 - New timing belt/water pump/etc at the same time - at 280k miles
Frank06 stage 2 cam/lifters - at 280k miles
ARP Head studs - at 280k miles
Mahle GT1749VA (new turbo and used exhaust manifold) from B5.5 Passat - at 280k miles
Malone Stage 5 converted to VNT - at 280k miles
Repurposed the original EGR solenoid as the N75 valve
DLC1019 nozzles mounted by DBW - at 250k miles and cleaned/recalibrated at 280k
NOS injection pump at 280k miles
11mm pump head/cam plate
Custom downpipe (which isn't great, btw, but there aren't any other options that I could find)
TT 2.5" exhaust from the downpipe back - No catalytic converter - exhaust installed in 1999
Quaife LSD - at 250k miles
South Bend Stage 3 Endurance clutch and new flywheel - at 280k miles
New OEM Intercooler - at 280k miles

My ballpark estimate is about 175hp and 300ft/lbs at the wheels. I know it makes enough torque to overpower a south bend stage 2 daily clutch, which is why it has a stage 3 endurance in it.

Bad part... Turbo will randomly make dentist drill type noises for a few minutes then quit. It sounds bad, haha. Seems to be dependent on engine temperature. New Garret turbo was purchased from IDParts and is included, but not yet installed.

Asking $5k obo. I know it's a lot for a mk3, but I easily have over $10k in this car with all the upgrades and it's a riot to drive.

Last edited:

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
colorado duramax, 1z vanagon, tdi touareg
I had a mk6 tdi wagon for a couple years .. still on here and tdi (older this time around) shopping again

If you were closer this might be headed to my house already.. definitely a sucker for rare colors.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a mk6 tdi wagon for a couple years .. still on here and tdi (older this time around) shopping again

If you were closer this might be headed to my house already.. definitely a sucker for rare colors.

Definitely understand being a sucker for colors. I refuse to buy cars that are any shade of white, black, or in between. Blue with black interior seems to be my usual, haha.

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
colorado duramax, 1z vanagon, tdi touareg
Definitely understand being a sucker for colors. I refuse to buy cars that are any shade of white, black, or in between. Blue with black interior seems to be my usual, haha.

i have a blue w/ black interior diesel mercedes if youre interested! :p

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
Let's bump this up. I've driven the car a few times in the last month and a half and haven't heard a peep out of the turbo. I would feel comfortable driving the car until I had the time to put the replacement turbo on it. I am a little more neurotic than most people about noises and probably a little more paranoid than most about parts failing, though.

In any case, I'd definitely be more interested in negotiating on the price before I put in the work to replace the turbo.

This will make a great car for somebody!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I miss my 98 porcelain blue Jetta, was my first TDI. Yours is super nice, hope it goes to someone who appreciates it...

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
Make it $65000 with the bus, and he might think about it LOL. FWIW, I'd want more for the bus than that. A friend of mine just bought one with a tree growing through it, and paid over 50 grand

Haha, that bus isn't going anywhere, for any price. I've had it since I was in high school and have been through a lot with it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Off topic question: Do you recall where you got the center caps for the Corrado steelies?

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
Off topic question: Do you recall where you got the center caps for the Corrado steelies?

I don't recall where I got those specific ones, but Mk1AutoHaus does have them in stock. You don't have to have the lug bolt caps to go along with the center cap, but they look way better if you do. I'm sure they can be found for cheaper than Mk1AutoHaus if you look around.

http://www.mk1autohaus.com/Corrado-Steelie-Wheel-Center-Cap_p_7167.html

http://www.mk1autohaus.com/Wheel-Lug-Cover--Black-_p_6961.html