Tpms

superduty_59

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI GLS 5sp, 2005.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2006Jetta TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 JSW TDI DSG, 2015 Passat SE 6MT TDI
This is my second TDI. I still have a 2001 Beetle 5 speed TDI and now just bought our 2015 Passat 6MT TDI SE with 46K. I just bought at a smaller used car lot. The TPMS light was on. Salesman said they got the car with the stock black steel (hubcap style) wheels and they put on a set of "after market" 18" wheels with brand new tires. I really like the wheels and to be honest I found the car online and what set this car apart was the slick looking wheels. They are brand new but have a VW emblem in the center. Maybe not aftermarket but I've never seen these before. Anyways... I test drove the car and the TPMS light was on the dash. I asked the salesman and he said that they put new wheels on the car and must have not put the sensors in the new wheels. He then says that I am welcomed to also take the 4 tires/wheels that came off the car and swap out the sensors.

I was just reading something and apparently the 2015's don't use TPMS sensors and take a reading from the ABS wheels speed sensors, correct? If so then Just push the reset button in the glovebox and the light should go off, correct?

Thanks

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Your car does/did not have sensors in the rims. Unless the previous owner installed his own sensors. Reading is via ABS.
I had the light come on and had to disable via Ross-Tech VCDS.
Maybe you'll get lucky and pushing the button in the glove compartment will disable it.

superduty_59

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI GLS 5sp, 2005.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2006Jetta TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 JSW TDI DSG, 2015 Passat SE 6MT TDI
Thanks JP. Is there a procedure to reset or push the button anytime?

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Thanks JP. Is there a procedure to reset or push the button anytime?
Set correct pressures on all 4 tires. Start car. Pop glovebox, push and HOLD the TPMS button until you hear a single chime on the dash.

It's very important correct pressures are set on all 4 tires- if one is over/underfilled, the TMPS system will "think" that is the correct pressure and set the light off should it change.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Must be different from the MK VII MQB platform with the same ABS TPS system. It resets with the car standing still...

I have found that you HAVE to be rolling forward at 5-10mph in a straight line while holding the button in the glove box for it to reset.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Well, first of all, the TDI never came with steel wheels with hubcaps in ANY trim level.

The previous owner took the original wheels off to sell and slapped on a set of steelies when he sold it back to Vw on the buyback. I would take them up on their offer, and sell them on Craigslist or something so you could recover some cash. Probably only get $250.

But as was mentioned above, there are no sensors in the Passat. Hasn’t been since 2010.

Look in the top left corner of the glove box. You should see two buttons. One is the Valet lockout, the other is the TPMS reset.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I'm guessing you are missing the owners manual as well, the procedure is documented in there if you have it.

I have never had to have my car moving to reset. I also have never had the car running, in fact when I did try to reset mine with the car running it wouldn't reset.

The following is from approximately page 191 of the 2015 owners manual. I highlighted the part about how to reset the warning.

Resetting and recalibrating the benchmark tire pressure

The SET button for the Tire Pressure Monitoring System is in the glove compartment ⇒ fig. 133. The

SET button resets the benchmark tire pressure used by the TPMS to the current tire pressure in the tires based on the circumference of the tires.

To reset the TPMS, switch on the ignition and then press and hold the SET button until you hear a confirmation chime. The chime usually sounds after a couple of seconds.

The SET button must be pressed for at least 2 seconds but no more than 30 seconds each time the tire pressure in one or more tires has been adjusted or after one or more tires has been changed, exchanged, or repaired. The new tire pressures are stored in the system only after at least 20 minutes of normal driving.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I have found that you HAVE to be rolling forward at 5-10mph in a straight line while holding the button in the glove box for it to reset.
while it'll work, sitting in the car with the ignition on is all that's needed to reset the TMPS.

superduty_59

TDI
Thanks for all the replies! I verified the correct tire pressure in all 4 tires. With car running i hit the reset button and held it till I heard the chime. The light went out and we drove 120 miles yesterday and it's still off today. The new wheels are 18" and the tires are 235/45 ZR18. The old wheels and tires are 215/55/R17 so they did an Up Size. I agree the previous (1 owner) probably kept the nice wheels and stuck these steelies on when he took the buyback.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
On a side note, i would verify that the car has the correct size tires on it

TPSM doesn't care what size tires you are running, each reset it relearns what should be "correct" rolling circumference of each wheel.

When switching between summers and winters (both different circumferences) TPMS is happy to relearn the larger winter tires.

On the Alltrack I run about 3/4" taller tire than "stock" no issues.