Purchase a new 2015 TDI?

kmk

TDI
2011 Jetta
New member here and have been trying to keep up with everything posted.

I have a 2011 Jetta and I'm on the fence about waiting for a fix or going with the buyback. One thing I am considering is going with the buyback and maybe trying to purchase one of the new 2015 TDI's that some dealers still have on the lots. Once the fix is done of course, which seems like a possibility from some of the posts on this forum. I know its it not a certainty that a fix will be available for the 2015's.

I have about 2400$ in repairs and maintenance coming up so I don't know if I want to put that much into the car and wait for a fix that may never come.

Pros/ Cons/ thoughts on the 2015's?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm doing the same thing, without the turn in/buyback, since I sold my '12 in April 2015. My dealer says the '15s should be available mid-October to early November, depending on when the fix for these cars (currently in tests) is approved. Discounts are going to vary by dealer. Some are talking about selling the cars at MSRP because there may not be any more new ones, others are discounting $5K or more.

I think it's a bit of a gamble whether or not the cars will actually be sold, and if you'll be able to find what you want, but you should know more before it's time to turn yours in.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I have a 2015 Jetta TDI SE with the "connectivity" pack, and the dsg...seemed to be the most prevalent combo on the lot...
Pluses are the ea-288 was made from the beginning to pass emissions, or rather the goal to be compliant and meet future rules....it is a nice motor, seems to pull well, gets good mpg, and even in the cold it warms up as fast as a gas car (it has both an aux electric heater, a separate "fast warm up" coolant loop, and the Jetta have a set of electrical shutters on the grill....so no need for a winter front.
The tq band is flatter, and the transmission (dsg anyway) had the gearing adjusted for a lower rpm at highway speeds to take advantage of this....for a highway cruiser, they are efficient...gotten about 50 mpg, driving it with 4 people, and full bags, ac on, running about 70....less going faster as expected, but never less than the mid 40's, even tuning 80 in northern Maine or running the backroads with lots of hills...

Some have said it seems that they pull less hard.... I doubt that, think it the ecu playing games based on warm-up, etc...I like it, and debate keeping it...the fix is supposedly simple...a couple sensors, and an ecu flash, about 9 hrs work, and a free oil change in 2 visits...
I like the Jetta mostly because of the larger fuel tank...a comfortable 600 miles...could go further, but why stretch it...the golf is a newer desgin, but has a tiny fuel tank...more like a gas car range wise, so watch out.
Some knock the newer version cars for a cheaper interior...
It's not a luxury quality interior, VW left that for Audi, so just know it is an economy level interior, it's just where VW elected to go with the cars to keep them cheaper than others...is it terrible, no, but not plush and high quality.....but so far, everything works for me, no issues...
Maybe a 50-50% keep or sell it for me....getting rid of uncertainty with a sale might be a gain...but if you get one cheap enough....might be a deal if it is the car you want.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Here in the PNW, new 2015s are advertised for MSRP. The used 2015 VWs and A3 Audis are going for KBB and range from $23K to $34K. Looks like no discount currently.

I'll wait to see what develops with the new 2015s and 2016 TDIs. The new Tiguan is supposed to be available in diesel, but we will see.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I see nothing at all wrong with a plan to buy a new '15 TDI when they are offered for sale. I had talked to a couple of dealers and had put down a $1000 deposit at one to be first on the list to buy the pick of the litter when they go on sale.

VW of Salem OR was advertising them on cars.com at good discounts. When a prospect contacts them they will tell you they can't sell one now but will take your name (or deposit) and call when the stop sale is released.

I was going to do that until a post caused me to consider an Audi.

Gary Barnhill

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE SR & Nav
Tiguan diesel would be great news.

Can you provide a source for the report that Tiguan may have a diesel engine?

This would be great news and a smart move by VW as the market is clearly moving to SUV/Crossover and away from sedans and wagons.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
i would be very surprised if that ever happens

just like there will be no GSW TDi Alltrack

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Go into a dealer with a 2015 and ask how much they would give you in a trade in, I'm betting 50% of its msrp. Try it and find out.

$30k MSRP will be $18,000 resale used,maybe $20,000.