Thinking of buying used...

ozymandias

TDI
1998 Jetta Mk. III
Long story short, i'm in need of a vehicle that has some capacity of towing. My initial thought was that i should shop around for a good 'ol little toyota diesel like i had in high school, but then recalled that Touareg TDI's have [quite a bit of] torque...

so, essentially, the usual questions..
-how hard to find are used Touareg TDIs?
-are they a pain in the butt as far as used vehicles go?
-what price do they usually run used?
etc etc..

thanks

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Someone here on the TDI club had a link to a piece of code that automatically searched Craigslist for all TDI listings - that is how I found my Touareg. I've since lost the link but maybe it will turn up using 'search'. It is pretty neat in that it searches the listings every time you turn it on. It arranges things by geographical area but you can look through everything.

Touaregs tend to be VERY expensive to fix - especially if you have to go to a dealer. And, the older the car, the more likely things will need fixing. If you can do-it-yourself that helps a LOT.

Do not restrict your search to VW only. Mercedes GL diesel (CDI) is an excellent towing machine (also expensive to fix). Even the ML diesel has some towing capabilities and BMW also makes a diesel sold in the US. I've heard nothing about the towing properties of the BMW.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I would think a Ford or Chevy diesel would be a more affordable solution.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
The question here is not which diesel be bought for towing. The person want a VW diesel Tourag. So the answer should be where to look for one. Try Wild Rose Motors (vwtdionly.com).

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
So, anyone have an opinion on what year is the best for the V10 tdi, and vehicle in general?

I know the V10 suffers from bad camshafts (too).

df

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
So, anyone have an opinion on what year is the best for the V10 tdi, and vehicle in general?

I know the V10 suffers from bad camshafts (too).

df
Most say to just avoid the 04's all together, but some would rather have those since there are no DPF's on them. The last year was 08 and I have not read any people having issues with those. FYI though the motor has to be dropped to do certain repairs and maintenance on any of them. So be prepared if you do get one. There was no 05 model here in the US, so you won't find any in that year. There was even decontenting in the later year V10's just like the other models, so the newer you go you risk loosing some features that were standard in the previous years.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Teti35,

I assuming the engine DOESN'T have to be dropped for routine maintainance? Like oil, air and fuel filters...?

df

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Teti35,

I assuming the engine DOESN'T have to be dropped for routine maintainance? Like oil, air and fuel filters...?

df
No, but certain O2 sensors are hidden in such away as to not be accessible any other way. Turbo goes bad, motor needs to come out to repair it. Just giving you a heads up is all. More info on them on Club Touareg if you are really interested in purchasing one.