Cold Start Rattle

Mieke

TDI
Golf GTi 1.9 PD 150, 2002 Reflex Silver
Hi, I've got a 5 month old Golf GTi 1.9 PD 150 which has developed a rattle from the dashboard area on cold starts. It's a metallic rattle - literally like a loose component and only happens when the engine is completely cold. It lasts for the first 3 to 4 miles - as soon as the temperature gauge starts to move it disappears. It seems to depend on how cold the ambient temperature is - it was worst over the Winter when it was freezing, but now the weather is getting warmer, it's not so bad.

As it is related to temperature, I thought that it may be a component on the climate control system but I'm not too sure. Anybody experienced something similar or got any ideas on what it might be ? I'm not too worried about it but it would be nice to know.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Rattles can be annoying. Tracking them down, even more so.

I suggest you let your dealership (under warranty) play with felt strips and sticky tape.

Mieke

TDI
Golf GTi 1.9 PD 150, 2002 Reflex Silver
I've already had it in the dealers - they couldn't find the cause (ain't it always the same !). It's not a trim rattle, so felt won't help. I'll have to live with it I suppose until some thing drops off !

wpeets

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Wagen Hers
You will only have to live with it until the warranty is over the dealer will have less problem finding it at that point. Its just the way it is with VW dealers.

tditone

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-dr, Reflex Silver
Hi Mike,

I have a rattle behind my Golf's dash that seems similar to yours. If you want to read more of the details, I made a nice long post about it at:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=471208&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

(It's mostly #2 and #3 in my post that are relevant)

I plan to try and have my dealer look at it, but I'm putting it off for now since the warm weather has arrived and my upcoming service visit is already a long list of little things to get fixed. I'll save it for my next visit. But when I do have it looked at, I'll share with you anything I learn.

-Tone

Ed52

Veteran Member
On my 2001 Jetta, when new, there was a rattle near the windshield middle area of dash. Turned out to be a mechanical part rattling against the firewall in the engine compartment. At 39000 km and two years Jetta is still tight and solid sounding.