ISO new headlight lens that will pass state inspection

rocketgirl

TDI
02 Beetle, 05 Golf, 11 Touareg
I replaced my fogged over plastic headlight lenses a few years ago but the lights themselves are still stock. Now several shops have failed my car for state inspection because the replacement lenses don't have DOT on them. I've tried explaining that the lights are stock and the lenses were replaced but they don't care they want the DOT. Since I'm tired of polishing the new plastic ones anyway, I'd like to find glass replacements this time. But they've got to be DOT cause inspection is a hassle. Does anyone know of any?

tldr: I want glass replacement lenses they say "DOT" so I can pass inspection. Please help.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Helix makes glass lenses for the Mk IV Golf, but as 20Indigo said, the lenses will not say "DOT" on them. You are unlikely to find glass lenses marked DOT, since, as said, the NA market switched over to polycarb (although a decade ago there were some CRAP versions which did have DOT on them, haven't seen them in years). Even most of the replacement polycarb versions will not say DOT. I'd find a different inspection station.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I'm surprised the shops take the time to look for the DOT info on your lights.

Are there things you've done to you car to seemingly make the inspection station so thorough?

If not, probably the simplest thing to do would be to go to another inspection station....some stations are thorough....some are lax....well at least around here they are....

Andrew