Ticking noise under load - BEW

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
For the past week or so ive been noticing this ticking sound (similar to gas motors) under load in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear only noticeable with window rolled down, is this normal? no CEL, all maintenance up to date, no leaks to my knowledge...

thanks for any help!

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Unfortunately that can be a sign of a failing cam or lifters.

Pull off the valve cover and have a look. Google "BEW cam inspection" or something similar. You should be able to find some helpful info.

Last edited:

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
I think its a leak somewhere around exhaust or maybe even turbo? The reason i say this is because its not during idle only under load that you can hear it

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
With the car running have someone plug the exhaust pipes with heavy rags & gloves.
If its exhaust you will hear it.
I've used a mechanics stethoscope w/o the metal tip to pinpoint it.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it's a leaking exhaust manifold, I guess the only fix would be to pull it off and put in a new gasket. I've replaced my turbo, which has the manifold attached, and it wasn't that bad.

If it turns out you have a cracked manifold, you might have to replace the entire turbocharger, since it's all one unit. Consider a VNT-17 if you have to go that route.

I know it looks difficult, but once you remove the plastic ducting that goes behind the engine to the turbo, and the EGR cooler, it's surprisingly easy to get the intake manifold out, and then the turbo. However, I wouldn't attempt it if you aren't mechanically inclined as your car will be inoperable until you get it back together.

I hope you're right about the exhaust, as that is an easier fix than replacing the cam and lifters.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Great advice! Thanks ill keep you guys posted!

I also want to add that it only makes the sound as its warmed up a little bit

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
So i am checking the engine as its running but cant find anything! Am i able to rev the motor with the exhaust plugged up by rags? Dont want to do something that can potentially damage the engine???

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you just have someone hold a rag at the end of the exhaust pipe while you go look for leaks, I don't think they could possibly hold it on firmly enough to damage anything. If you shove something inside the exhaust pipe, and manage to really block it off well, I could see that potentially blowing out any weak spots in the exhaust system, or it might simply stop the engine.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I do it at idle.
Fairly tight and if there's a leak you hear it right away.
Don't think you will do damage, stall the engine if the system is that tight, though I never stalled one.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
I checked multiple times at engine cold or hot with exhaust plugged and no luck in hearing anything; its hard to get a video of it as it only makes the noise under load at heavier throttle

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I checked multiple times at engine cold or hot with exhaust plugged and no luck in hearing anything; its hard to get a video of it as it only makes the noise under load at heavier throttle
I would think we can rule out a leak from the exhaust. :)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Does the frequency change with road speed?, or with engine speed?
If the clicking is the same in 2nd or 3rd or 4th at the same MPH then the issue is somewhere between the output shaft and the wheel bearings.
If the sound is the same at the same rpm, regardless of gear and road speed, the issue is in the engine, accessories, up to the transmission input shaft.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
There are two likely candidates for an engine speed clic under load. One would be an exhaust leak on one of the EGR pipes or exhaust manifold. The other is the lifter. If you don't address the exhaust leak, it will get worse until you find it.

But not so innocent for the cam issue...

If you have the 'tick of death' and it's a holed cam follower, and you don't address it, you already have a cam that will be sharp on the edges of the cam lobes, especially exhaust lobes (1,3,6 and 8). If the issue is not resolved, eventually you will get a dead miss at idle on the cylinder. At that point, you are removing the cylinder head to replace the valve, which has the valve stem mushroomed to unusable. It is better to make a preemptive strike and avoid removing the cylinder head for repairs.

Since you have not said you checked the cam, and it only takes about 1/2 hr, you should do so and report back.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Mike, the g.p. is an idea, but I think that should be very obvious.

Sometimes we go around the engine bay with a rubber hose held to the ear. Poke a stick between the fuel pedal and the seat to raise idle to 2000 rpm. Listen around everywhere you can poke a hose and see if the noise gets louder. Also, listening through a screwdriver against the valve cover(ear to handle, tip to v.c.) can help pinpoint a noisy lifter.

One other thing I didn't think about is to check if the noise comes from the cylinder head area or the oil pan. If it's oil pan side, it's usually not pretty, as your rods or cylinders may be the culprit.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
There are two likely candidates for an engine speed clic under load. One would be an exhaust leak on one of the EGR pipes or exhaust manifold. The other is the lifter. If you don't address the exhaust leak, it will get worse until you find it.

But not so innocent for the cam issue...

If you have the 'tick of death' and it's a holed cam follower, and you don't address it, you already have a cam that will be sharp on the edges of the cam lobes, especially exhaust lobes (1,3,6 and 8). If the issue is not resolved, eventually you will get a dead miss at idle on the cylinder. At that point, you are removing the cylinder head to replace the valve, which has the valve stem mushroomed to unusable. It is better to make a preemptive strike and avoid removing the cylinder head for repairs.

Since you have not said you checked the cam, and it only takes about 1/2 hr, you should do so and report back.

The frequency does not change in regards to speed

Also: I checked any exhaust leaks as mentioned with a rag tightly held over the exhaust while engine running but no sounds whatsoever

I can check the cam and lifters - however the ticking is only under load and at idle the car sounds great at low and high RPM - plus its had a new cam from you Frank installed just this year and TB from you also

Im starting to think its a normal engine sound but i wanted to make sure im not careless and a problem occurs you know?

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
This can get confusing, when I know some by their name, some by their email, some by TDIClub username...

When you say the frequency does not change in relation to engine speed, makes me puzzled. I am suspicious of the EGR valve, as we have had some strange noises emanate
from them and it can sound like a buzz or clicking on some occasions.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Until i get a chance to take the valve cover off to take photos; can i use VCDS to test the EGR valve also? I have to remove it anyways to get to the cam

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
What we have often seen is the terrible design of the EGR valve, with it's plastic gear. It can strip and make a clicking or rattling noise. It also can make a funny buzz at startup.

I encourage you to remove the small torx screws that are in the ASV valve, which is the bigger culprit and examine that cover and you can investigate if the ASV is working ok. Also, we regularly clean the EGR valve, as it can stick open and cause a strange 'reversion' of boost pressure. The shaft for the EGR is steel, going through an aluminum housing that you add black, gunky carbonized grease to the works, it's a formula for sticking the EGR valve plate open.

When the valve is removed hold it up to a bright light and see if you can see daylight between the valve plate and it's seal area.

Good luck. PM me if you have additional questions.