www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 26th, 2017, 18:48   #1
John-TDI

Default New Owner 2003 Jetta wagon TDI

Hi everyone i haven't used these forums in a few years since i parted ways with my 98 TDI jetta but i'm back.

I have been messing around with turbo'd subaru's the last few years as my commute to work is only about 6 miles round trip. I've been doing a lot of traveling on my days off and at 17MPG with my legacy or forester turbo is just is killing me.

Tonight i became the proud owner of a 2003 jetta wagon TDI, I have always wanted a ALH powered car and for 500 bucks not running with only 130K i couldn't pass it up. The owner had proof of a timing belt being done at vw at around 100K but the cars been sitting still few years so i plan on doing it again anyways. The car needs a clutch it went and the guy had the car towed home and never had it fixed as he was waiting for his son to need the car but he moved into the city and the car just waited.

I put a fresh battery in the car tonight and bypassed the clutch safety switch and the car doesn't even turn over i'm hoping the starter in junk. i was gonna check for any codes but i forgot my snap on ethos at work i have euro for that.

I don't have the car in my possession but i have the title, paper work and keys so i can't be sold from underneath me. Monday i am going to get it with our truck and trailer from work and a couple of buddies.

Sorry for the long read im hoping to log my experience to bringing this jetta back to life.

John-TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 19:00   #2
77vette88

TDI(s): 02

I went n look at at that car last week. tried to meet he owner but he said just to take a look at it and I asked to meet him later on and to bring the keys and I sat there for 30 mins he never showed . Timing belt looked ok I was gunna try the same thing but eh
77vette88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 19:34   #3
John-TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77vette88 View Post
I went n look at at that car last week. tried to meet he owner but he said just to take a look at it and I asked to meet him later on and to bring the keys and I sat there for 30 mins he never showed . Timing belt looked ok I was gunna try the same thing but eh
This was defiantly the hardest deal i have ever done. It took a lot of work and he ended up leaving the paper work and keys with a neighbor and i just payed them. I figured for 500 it was worth the risk.
Old August 27th, 2017, 05:13   #4
KCTDI
Veteran Member

Wow, what a deal. People are strange, eh? Keep us updated.
Definitely worth the risk.
Congrats!
2003 CTD 6spd Q/C
Proud to be called Grandpa x 7
KCTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 06:07   #5
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.1- the 03's first tank!

You got a real deal for $500!
I just finished parting out an 03 wagon I bought with a seized engine for $1000 and its heading to the scrap yard now.
Old August 27th, 2017, 18:03   #6
John-TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTDI View Post
Wow, what a deal. People are strange, eh? Keep us updated.
Definitely worth the risk.
Congrats!
Indeed they are weird somedays, I am getting it tomorrow after work i am still trying to figure out how to get it loaded while it's DOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitcakesa View Post
You got a real deal for $500!
I just finished parting out an 03 wagon I bought with a seized engine for $1000 and its heading to the scrap yard now.
I don't think i could make the money back if the motor is bad but i'll find out more later.
Old August 27th, 2017, 19:26   #7
77vette88

TDI(s): 02

Dam I would of offered him $500 but he was soo shady I didn't feel comfortable . He was prolly the neoghbor . I feel like he bought that house from under somone and gutted it to flip it.

Good luck with the car though other then the seats fenders axel n something leaking it looks pretty decent
77vette88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 04:06   #8
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.1- the 03's first tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-TDI View Post
Indeed they are weird somedays, I am getting it tomorrow after work i am still trying to figure out how to get it loaded while it's DOA.

I don't think i could make the money back if the motor is bad but i'll find out more later.
Even with a bad motor, if you are willing to take the time to remove all the useable components and advertise , you will more than recoup your money.
Good luck.
Old August 28th, 2017, 04:40   #9
KCTDI
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=John-TDI;5321010]Indeed they are weird somedays, I am getting it tomorrow after work i am still trying to figure out how to get it loaded while it's DOA.
I've hauled a bunch of 'em without a running motor with my dollie. Just pull the front wheels up on to it with a comealong. It's actually handier than my car hauler with a winch (unless you hafta back up.)
2003 CTD 6spd Q/C
Proud to be called Grandpa x 7
KCTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 19:50   #10
John-TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77vette88 View Post
Dam I would of offered him $500 but he was soo shady I didn't feel comfortable . He was prolly the neoghbor . I feel like he bought that house from under somone and gutted it to flip it.

Good luck with the car though other then the seats fenders axel n something leaking it looks pretty decent
The neighbor that had the keys and title for me said that's how he is. Very nice but very dis organized and from dealing with him i would agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitcakesa View Post
Even with a bad motor, if you are willing to take the time to remove all the useable components and advertise , you will more than recoup your money.
Good luck.
That's always been my issue with parting cars is the time. I may due that with my current legacy though as a hole it's only worth 5-6K but in parts i could make 8k+

[QUOTE=KCTDI;5321096]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-TDI View Post
I've hauled a bunch of 'em without a running motor with my dollie. Just pull the front wheels up on to it with a comealong. It's actually handier than my car hauler with a winch (unless you hafta back up.)
I used a car hauler as it was free to use and with the brakes being frozen when i got there i was concerned i might have an issue. I did managed to get it loaded with 2 extra friends and a comealong and it's not sitting at work.
Old August 29th, 2017, 08:58   #11
benIV
Veteran Member

I'll be watching this. Hope to see some great updates and documentation of the coming work
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER #6 - 2003 TDI Mafia Member
Orville, 2003 Jetta 5m Sedan
Knurren, 2003 Jetta 5m Wagon (Golf Variant)

1974 Super Beetle Conv, 1956 Mercedes 560 SL
benIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 18:41   #12
John-TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by benIV View Post
I'll be watching this. Hope to see some great updates and documentation of the coming work
Thanks it's going to be pretty slow till my built subaru sells then i can really knock out some of the pick ticket items.
Old August 29th, 2017, 18:47   #13
John-TDI

Well the 500 dollar TDI wagon lives. The starter it's self was toast and the exciter wire was broken off at the connector. I repaired the wire with a temp fix and replaced the starter. The next time i'm at the junk yard i'll cut one a connector and pig tail out of a good harness.

And just because you'll always need one of these working on a VW lol.
Old August 30th, 2017, 07:56   #14
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

I'm definitely subbing to this thread. I have a 2004 BEW wagon in similar condition (I've got my build thread over in the Jetta pictures gallery). I'm sure I'll get some cool ideas from what you do. Coming from the CR140 platform there's so much that can be done to these early 2000s motors its a bit overwhelming so having someone else doing similar stuff will be helpful.

Over the next few weeks I'm getting my car squared away on all PM fluids, filters, and some suspension. Then comes the stainless steel exhaust and mild tune. Next summer I want to do bigger nozzles/injectors along with a full cooling and intake system refresh.
Old September 1st, 2017, 18:10   #15
John-TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptcrnch View Post
I'm definitely subbing to this thread. I have a 2004 BEW wagon in similar condition (I've got my build thread over in the Jetta pictures gallery). I'm sure I'll get some cool ideas from what you do. Coming from the CR140 platform there's so much that can be done to these early 2000s motors its a bit overwhelming so having someone else doing similar stuff will be helpful.

Over the next few weeks I'm getting my car squared away on all PM fluids, filters, and some suspension. Then comes the stainless steel exhaust and mild tune. Next summer I want to do bigger nozzles/injectors along with a full cooling and intake system refresh.
Thanks it should be fun when it's all said and done thankfully i like to tinker and after working on toyota's all day it's nice to work on something different.